PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Cyn
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Well, well, well, Johnny Weir," said a judge in a Team USA windbreaker, hair dyed a slightly bluish tint. "What the hell are you doing here?"

The tips of my ears turned red with shame. I stared straight ahead and muttered, "Skating," thinking about how much my mother hated when my brother and I mumbled as kids.

"Oh, you're going to skate for us today?" another judge said, sipping from a large Dunkin' Donuts coffee that smelled sickeningly of blueberries.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Did you hear? He's training with the great Tarasova. Well, I can't wait to see this. That is, if he can stand on his skates long enough."

The judges cackled mercilessly while I burned with my own thoughts.

It reads like a really bad movie script. Like, rejected by the Lifetime Movie Network bad.

Gads - Reading that section, I'd go so far as to say it's "Snooki" levels of bad :scream:

Willowway
01-16-2011, 11:03 PM
cackled mercilessly

The editor should be drummed out of the business!

Theatregirl1122
01-16-2011, 11:31 PM
:lol: Wow, congratulations Johnny/Johnny's Editor. I don't know if this happened or not but they certainly managed to make it sound completely fake.

purple skates
01-16-2011, 11:52 PM
I don't think Dunkin Dounts puts blueberries in thier coffee. I think Weir is having "fantasy" and has made things "worse" to sell books.

This is all just so sad... :( Great skater... train wreck coming!

Have you ever in your life had anything good to say about Johnny? Ever? Because every single post that you have made in this thread has been negative. I wonder why you are bothering to participate in it.

Southpaw
01-17-2011, 12:00 AM
The judges cackled mercilessly

The editor should be drummed out of the business!

The editor obviously doesn't know that only alcoholists with baby leis cackle mercilessly.

Carolla5501
01-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Have you ever in your life had anything good to say about Johnny? Ever? Because every single post that you have made in this thread has been negative. I wonder why you are bothering to participate in it.

To upset you?

LOL!

But if you actually read my posts you will note that I have said I think he is a great skater. I think he was one who SHOULD have benefited from the scoring system change.

And now... this is kind of like a train wreck.. it's hard to look away.

purple skates
01-17-2011, 12:32 AM
To upset you?

LOL!

But if you actually read my posts you will note that I have said I think he is a great skater. I think he was one who SHOULD have benefited from the scoring system change.

And now... this is kind of like a train wreck.. it's hard to look away.

I'm not upset, just curious. I think he was a great skater too - one who had the potential to be so much more. I also would not personally choose the life that he has (ie famewhore) for him if he was my son. However, it is his life to live and I am truly confused by the level of criticism that he is receiving on this thread. You are one of the head negativity cheerleaders.

I guess I am curious as to what you have so invested in him that makes you so negative about him. mmscfdcsu has made her persective pretty clear and while I don't agree with her, I respect her opinion.

mmscfdcsu
01-17-2011, 02:01 AM
:shuffle: Okay, I went to the Beachwood signing. :rofl: There were a lot of people. It was like being at a competition. Everyone knew everyone. They should have had drinks and goodies to eat. Cleveland is a huge skating town with many rinks and clubs.
I walked up to the counter to purchase the book, along with another book that I had selected, "Every Man Dies Alone". The clerk went on and on about what a great book it was. Then I told him that I had been looking for something else as well, but had a senior moment and forgot the author's name. He recognized the book and gave me the name and the name of the other works by the author that I was looking for. I thought he was going to propose to me.:D Then, I asked for a copy of Johnny's book. :shuffle: :rofl: :rofl: His face fell and he looked at me like I was a traitor.

polett
01-17-2011, 02:50 AM
You are a traitor! :)

luCN
01-17-2011, 05:19 AM
er....sorry,can anyone tell me what Liberty Senior Men's FS event is?

I mainly just follow the international events,not familiar with these american competitions....

igniculus
01-17-2011, 08:06 AM
:shuffle: Okay, I went to the Beachwood signing. :rofl: There were a lot of people. It was like being at a competition. Everyone knew everyone. They should have had drinks and goodies to eat. Cleveland is a huge skating town with many rinks and clubs.
I walked up to the counter to purchase the book, along with another book that I had selected, "Every Man Dies Alone". The clerk went on and on about what a great book it was. Then I told him that I had been looking for something else as well, but had a senior moment and forgot the author's name. He recognized the book and gave me the name and the name of the other works by the author that I was looking for. I thought he was going to propose to me.:D Then, I asked for a copy of Johnny's book. :shuffle: :rofl: :rofl: His face fell and he looked at me like I was a traitor.

:rofl: :respec:

er....sorry,can anyone tell me what Liberty Senior Men's FS event is?

I mainly just follow the international events,not familiar with these american competitions....

It's a club competition held in summer in the United States, mainly for American skaters, but skaters of other nationality are frequently featured as guests, like Patrick Chan in the olympic year.

antmanb
01-17-2011, 10:21 AM
I read the excerpt Sylvia put a link to and agree, even if the exchange with the judges is exactly as Johnny reports it just sounds completely fabricated.

The other thing that sticks out in that chapter is the whole tone of it. Okay on exactly two occasions he references that the position he is in is his own fault, but by belittling the "tiny" event he is humiliated by having to attend (and misrepresenting liberty in that way) and talking about sectionals in the same way he seems to be suggesting that he should not have been in the position he was and it sounds like he doesn't really blame himself for that and implies it's actually the judges/officials/USFSA that is to blame, what did he expect, that USFSA should have not only ignored his crap from the season before but should actually have ralied around, changed all of their rules and carried him on a golden pillow drawn by unicorns directly to nationals :confused:

Unless the rest of the book is very different then I don't see him actually owning his mistakes, he may acknowledge them but it all seems to boil down to the fact that everyone is against him and that's why he made mistakes and everything fell the way it did, it is everyone else's fault not his?

All of the priscilla trying to butch him up (exactly when was that :confused:) acting on "direct orders from the federation". Is there anything in the book that actually gives any proof of this?

Seems like Johnny is firmly in la-la land where his version of events is the gospel truth, where no real examples or evidence is actually presented, and if the gross over-exageration that appears in this chapter is anything to go by it seems that very little of what he says is actually reliable truth.

Ant

Carolla5501
01-17-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm not upset, just curious. I think he was a great skater too - one who had the potential to be so much more. I also would not personally choose the life that he has (ie famewhore) for him if he was my son. However, it is his life to live and I am truly confused by the level of criticism that he is receiving on this thread. You are one of the head negativity cheerleaders.

I guess I am curious as to what you have so invested in him that makes you so negative about him. mmscfdcsu has made her persective pretty clear and while I don't agree with her, I respect her opinion.

You sound very upset.... Others have been every bit as negative but it's only MY view you are attacking LOL! May I suggest the use of the "ignore" button. Then you won't be bothered by what I say. :D

barbk
01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Seems like Johnny is firmly in la-la land where his version of events is the gospel truth, where no real examples or evidence is actually presented, and if the gross over-exageration that appears in this chapter is anything to go by it seems that very little of what he says is actually reliable truth.

Ant

It would seem that Johnny is the classic "unreliable narrator".

kwanette
01-17-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm about half way through the book and the most upsetting thing to me has been his "diss" of Art Devlin's Olympic Motor Inn in Lake Placid. I stayed there last yr and loved it....He basically hates Lake Placid in general..