PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Jot the Dot Dot
01-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Johnny's choice for "Poker Face" was appropriate, like Lady Gaga, he is a publicity hound. But also like her, he is talented. And his coming out was the biggest surprize since, uh, k. d. lang? So until he fails to entertain, give the lad an applause, and let his private life be a non-issue.

dr.frog
01-16-2011, 05:12 PM
FYI, an excerpt from the book (Chapter 5, titled "Embracing the Starving Artist") can be found on his publisher's site: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Welcome-to-My-World/Johnny-Weir/9781451610284/excerpt

Heh, he refers to Liberty Open as a "little local event". I believe it is the largest competition in the US, and there are always skaters there from all over the US and Canada -- including other elite competitors who want early judging feedback or to demonstrate their readiness for a possible international assignment.

He also writes about how shameful it was that he had to compete at Easterns because it was something that elite competitors just didn't do.... conveniently overlooking the fact that the USFSA had made that hulking classless idiot Michael Weiss do the same thing just two years before after *he'd* had a bad season that wasn't nearly as disastrous as Weir's 2002-2003 one.

Poor, poor Johnny. Everyone is picking on him. :drama:

mmscfdcsu
01-16-2011, 05:24 PM
For those in the Cleveland area, Johnny will sign his book tonight (7pm) at Beachwood Borders (Richmond & Cedar).
Sorry if this has already been posted...:rolleyes:

A few years ago that would have been exciting. I would have gone. :(

my little pony
01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
mmmmary you have to go, if only to report back to us

mmscfdcsu
01-16-2011, 05:32 PM
mmmmary you have to go, if only to report back to us

:( It would be too depressing. I honestly wish him well, but he is not doing anything that interests me anymore. I can't tolerate the music he skates to, he is regressing as an artist, I can not force myself to have an interest in pop culture. I'm not saying that what he is doing is wrong, just that it is well past time for me to move on.

Being an uber is a very strange thing. It has happened to me twice in my life. Once with David McCallum from the Man From U.N.C.L.E. when I was 12 and once with Johnny. I guess it is time to go back to being a regular skating fan. :shuffle:

Coco
01-16-2011, 05:45 PM
FYI, Borders has been taking formal steps towards Bankruptcy since around Christmas time.

It's too bad your experience was so negative there, but I'm guessing people who work in the stores are freaking out, hoping their paychecks are covered and on time, and wondering how long they'll be employed, and how will they find a job.

It's really sad, because it used to be such a fabulous store. Also because it's headquartered in my hometown, which really doesn't need anymore layoffs.

ETA: obviously, if you have giftcards or coupons for Borders, use them ASAP.

rudi
01-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Anyone know if Johnny is taking his book tour down south to Florida?

Elise
01-16-2011, 06:20 PM
A few years ago that would have been exciting. I would have gone. :(
Yeah, I'm thinking about going and observing :sekret:
I don't know if I'll still be up t it around 7pm though!

mmscfdcsu
01-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about going and observing :sekret:
I don't know if I'll still be up t it around 7pm though!

I'll probably be grocery shopping. I have nothing to eat in this house. I'm craving fruit and cottage cheese. :lol:

Rex
01-16-2011, 07:11 PM
In Atlanta, my friend and I were sitting on the end of the arena where Johnny did that perfect 3 axel combination with glorious runout. Immediately, I was a fan. The colorful personality was amusing at first, annoying later. The skating and jumping quality was fabulous while it lasted.

this.

overedge
01-16-2011, 07:17 PM
From the excerpt linked above:

Well, well, well, Johnny Weir," said a judge in a Team USA windbreaker, hair dyed a slightly bluish tint. "What the hell are you doing here?"

The tips of my ears turned red with shame. I stared straight ahead and muttered, "Skating," thinking about how much my mother hated when my brother and I mumbled as kids.

"Oh, you're going to skate for us today?" another judge said, sipping from a large Dunkin' Donuts coffee that smelled sickeningly of blueberries.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Did you hear? He's training with the great Tarasova. Well, I can't wait to see this. That is, if he can stand on his skates long enough."

The judges cackled mercilessly while I burned with my own thoughts.

Maybe the judges said something to Johnny that implied these things, but I find it really hard to believe that judges (especially at the level of an event like the Liberty Open) would say these words directly to a skater.

Carolla5501
01-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't think Dunkin Dounts puts blueberries in thier coffee. I think Weir is having "fantasy" and has made things "worse" to sell books.

This is all just so sad... :( Great skater... train wreck coming!

sk9tingfan
01-16-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't think Dunkin Dounts puts blueberries in thier coffee. I think Weir is having "fantasy" and has made things "worse" to sell books.

This is all just so sad... :( Great skater... train wreck coming!

There actually is a blueberry version of Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Vermont Green Mountain Coffee also offers blueberry. IMO, it's gross! :( So, it is not a figment of his imagination but fact.

http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/menu/coffee/hotcoffee.html

LuckyCharm
01-16-2011, 08:07 PM
From the excerpt linked above:

Maybe the judges said something to Johnny that implied these things, but I find it really hard to believe that judges (especially at the level of an event like the Liberty Open) would say these words directly to a skater.

It reads like a really bad movie script. Like, rejected by the Lifetime Movie Network bad.

meggonzo
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Anyone know if Johnny is taking his book tour down south to Florida?

His schedule is listed on the "Events" section of his website:
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/home/events/

Nothing listed for Florida yet. Hopefully he plans on adding more dates.