PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

meggonzo
01-15-2011, 05:28 PM
For Weir fans, he's on MSNBC in a couple of minutes.

Dang, I missed it! It's not on his event page on his website.

overedge
01-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Q&A in the Albany (NY) Times Union: Weir lets readers into his 'World' (http://www.timesunion.com/living/article/Q-A-with-Johnny-Weir-957438.php)

From the article linked above:

I have a photographic memory.

Except maybe when it comes to things like who was named first and second alternate for Worlds in 2009 :P

the shoes are Christian LouBoutin. He's my favorite shoe designer, and he's actually going to make me a pair of skates.

:wideeyes: :scream:

sk9tingfan
01-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Just got back after seeing Johnny at Barnes and Noble in West Hartford. As I suspected, they were running behind the slated times, pulling into West Hartford at around 3 PM. I would estimate that there were about 200 people there to have Johnny sign his book.

James Pellerito was running around like crazy trying to film everything. I only caught a momentary view of David Barba and Tara Modlin was doing her own thing.

Johnny looked fabulous! Better than I've seen him in a long time. He looks better with a few pounds on him. He was wearing a black ribbed turtleneck with some silver running through the ribs. I've also never seen his hair look so good.

Got a hug and a kiss. When I told him I thought that the pace of the tour was maniacal, he said that he would sleep on the bus. He looked incredibly happy. :)

Sparks
01-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Just got back after seeing Johnny at Barnes and Noble in West Hartford. As I suspected, they were running behind the slated times, pulling into West Hartford at around 3 PM. I would estimate that there were about 200 people there to have Johnny sign his book.

James Pellerito was running around like crazy trying to film everything. I only caught a momentary view of David Barba and Tara Modlin was doing her own thing.

Johnny looked fabulous! Better than I've seen him in a long time. He looks better with a few pounds on him. He was wearing a black ribbed turtleneck with some silver running through the ribs. I've also never seen his hair look so good.

Got a hug and a kiss. When I told him I thought that the pace of the tour was maniacal, he said that he would sleep on the bus. He looked incredibly happy. :)
This is nice to know. :)

Garden Kitty
01-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Glad you had a nice time sk9ingfan. Johnny may have his quirks, but he always seems to be genuinely nice to his fans and enjoy talking to them.

Lacey
01-16-2011, 12:30 AM
The book on Amazon is now 44% off at $14.44, how will it make any money? Barnes and Noble had it, but I had a coupon for Borders so went there, they did not. In fact the salesperson at the latter was positively rude, trying to hint that the book couldn't possibly be worth purchasing with a cover of a skater who was not only a man, but also was a man in high heels. He sent me upstairs to general sports, and I never did find a skating section. But it should have been downstairs in new releases, not there either. I suspect they don't unpack books on weekends, but, for a store that is rumored to be hurting, this man helper could have cared less. Couldn't help me with two other new releases either.

LuckyCharm
01-16-2011, 12:41 AM
The book on Amazon is now 44% off at $14.44, how will it make any money? Barnes and Noble had it, but I had a coupon for Borders so went there, they did not. In fact the salesperson at the latter was positively rude, trying to hint that the book couldn't possibly be worth purchasing with a cover of a skater who was not only a man, but also was a man in high heels. He sent me upstairs to general sports, and I never did find a skating section. But it should have been downstairs in new releases, not there either. I suspect they don't unpack books on weekends, but, for a store that is rumored to be hurting, this man helper could have cared less. Couldn't help me with two other new releases either.

New releases (and old ones) are commonly discounted that much on Amazon. You can't judge by that. Too bad about your Borders experience. Can you use the coupon online?

meggonzo
01-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Amazon usually always has a 30% discount on books. They are able to buy in bulk so they get a discount from the publishers.

I just finished the book today. There's not that much "dirt" but it was interesting to read some of the behind the scenes stories with the USFSA, Priscilla, Galina, competitions, etc. I don't think there is that much there that people need to be *that* upset about. He did do some stupid things, like feigning sickness and handstands, but he owns up to it. Also, normally at competitions USFSA makes the skaters room together to save money, but Johnny would buy out the other half of his room so he didn't have to stay with anyone. At 2004 TEB, Johnny was out shopping and came back to Garrett Lucash (well he just says pairs skater from CT, so I'm assuming Lucash) showering in his room. I guess there wasn't another room for him to stay in, but Johnny freaked out and made him leave. If I came back to Lucash showering in my hotel room... :swoon: :grope:

I'm still curious about why Rudy Galindo would be throwing a tantrum on his facebook page over the book?! :confused:

If you are a Johnny fan, you will most likely enjoy the book. :)

Cosmic Connect
01-16-2011, 01:02 AM
I suspect they don't unpack books on weekends, but, for a store that is rumored to be hurting, this man helper could have cared less. Couldn't help me with two other new releases either.

If a salesperson copped a 'tude like that at a Barnes & Noble he or she would soon be gone. Those people are trained to be polite. B & N sometimes emails out discount coupons to customers. I bought a couple of new books significantly off label price. The mark up on hard cover books is pretty high. They still make money.

luCN
01-16-2011, 03:26 AM
Q&A in the Albany (NY) Times Union: Weir lets readers into his 'World' (http://www.timesunion.com/living/article/Q-A-with-Johnny-Weir-957438.php)

Gee!he'll make another song:duh:has he fired Dirty Love's productor?= =

and I'm kind of boring to look at those interviews,they keep asking the same question which we already know the answer for many times.Can't they find some more intersting questions like Howard Stern did? :shuffle:

Sylvia
01-16-2011, 03:39 AM
FYI, an excerpt from the book (Chapter 5, titled "Embracing the Starving Artist") can be found on his publisher's site: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Welcome-to-My-World/Johnny-Weir/9781451610284/excerpt

Weir on competing in the Liberty Senior Men's FS event at The Pond Ice Arena in Newark, Delaware, in July 2003:

... Although the stage in Newark was tiny, this was the first time I had competed since the Dallas National Championships, the culmination of every single mistake I had made thus far in my career. My history weighed heavy.

But in this small place and moment, something shifted. After the announcer unceremoniously called my name and I took to the ice, the problem child found himself replaced by another one: umnitza, perfect boy. Tarasova's voice played in my head, egging me on to remember the art and beauty and forget the pettiness of scores. The power of an Olympic coach telling me day in and day out how good I was fortified me. Just go out and skate, I told myself.

And I did. Cleanly, beautifully, perfectly.

Afterward, I took off my skates, changed into my regular clothes, and left without waiting to see my scores printed on the little pieces of white paper. I didn't need to see the proof: I knew I had won.

ETA: I came up the following online fan reports on Weir's FS at the Liberty summer competition in July 2003:

Practice report:

My friend and I saw Johnny dressed as if he were about
to skate while we were hanging out in the lobby and stopped him as he
walked by to: a) ask if he would skate his free and b) ask if he was
about to practice. The answer to both was "yes." :) Later on, I
overheard some conversation bits & pieces that his short wasn't quite
ready.

Anyway, we stayed to watch Johnny practice, of course. It was *VERY*
impressive. After 10 minutes of wonderful stroking, edging and half &
single sal and loop sequences for warmup, he started into the triples
and hit every one on the first try except the loop (doubled first try,
tripled right away on the next.) He also hit a number of 3-3-2
combinations, including a 3a-3t-2l. The loop started giving him
trouble again towards the end and became a bit of an obession, but
aside from that he just about put nary a foot wrong on any jump or
step the entire session. He hit several triple axels during the
session. I also finally got to see him work through parts of the
second half of his Dr. Zhivago long program (the part that didn't make
it at Nationals ;-)) and the final footwork sequence, with a big
falling leaf/split jump at the end gave me chills.

Competition reports:

1. Johnny Weir/UDel Doctor Zhivago
3axel/3toe, 3salchow, 3axel, 2lutz, 3flip, 3loop. All
business. No emotion, even when the program was over.
Exactly what he needed to show the USFSA, in my
opinion. I'm hopeful for an international. The
program and his basic edge quality were gorgeous, and
he wasn't even skating all out.
Weir was assigned to 2003 Finlandia Trophy (which got him a bye through Regionals) and he won the silver medal there.

Johnny Weir: 3A3T; 3S; 3A; 2Z; 3F; 3Lp. Other than the doubled lutz and the decision not to do one of the 3-3-2 combos he was practicing successfully, I saw nothing missing. The jump landings, as I recall, all had beautiful run-out. I don't intend to compete with Lorrie Kim by trying to describe this skate further. I'm sure she'll post per description no later than Sunday.

Lorrie Kim's report on Weir's Dr. Zhivago free skate at Liberty, as posted late Saturday night on the rssif newsgroup:

I couldn't go to sleep without writing about Johnny Weir's freeskate at Liberty Open.

When his name was called, the excitement was palpable. There's a magic to this skater that can't be denied. He wore a snow and silver costume for "Dr. Zhivago" and you could feel the snow coming down quietly throughout the first part of his program. The opening 3axel-3toe was perfection, just perfection. 3salchow. A touch to one shoulder, then the other, that I just love -- there are moments in this program that are stillness even when they are moving, and there's no rushing through this program although his speed is good. A second 3axel brought a roar from the otherwise spellbound and hushed crowd. Flying camel. Stroking with a lilt to his knees. Doubled lutz, death drop sit, 3flip. Circular steps with a feeling of suspension, like floating silk. A forward lunge that folded into a draped crouch that dropped my heart straight into my gut, a sudden deep note of emotion. Then steps that led in a clockwise pattern into the spring of a glorious 3loop uncoiling with all the resilience of human gladness -- stunning, stunning, stunning. A retreat into the farthest corner to gather himself, then the full power of a diagonal straightline sequence with inside axel, circular sequence with back spiral and Ina Bauer and catchfoot spiral, then his combination pancake spin in all its sweetness and triumph. Standing ovation from me. Thank you, Johnny, and good night.

BittyBug
01-16-2011, 05:19 AM
.....the decision not to do one of the 3-3-2 combos he was practicing successfullyLittle did we know that would become one of his signature moves. :slinkaway

Johhny, Johnny, Johnny - I loved your skating so. :-/

Elise
01-16-2011, 03:26 PM
For those in the Cleveland area, Johnny will sign his book tonight (7pm) at Beachwood Borders (Richmond & Cedar).
Sorry if this has already been posted...:rolleyes:

nashvilledancer
01-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Lorrie Kim's report on Weir's Dr. Zhivago free skate at Liberty, as posted late Saturday night on the rssif newsgroup:

In Atlanta, my friend and I were sitting on the end of the arena where Johnny did that perfect 3 axel combination with glorious runout. Immediately, I was a fan. The colorful personality was amusing at first, annoying later. The skating and jumping quality was fabulous while it lasted.

mkats
01-16-2011, 03:43 PM
FYI, an excerpt from the book (Chapter 5, titled "Embracing the Starving Artist") can be found on his publisher's site: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Welcome-to-My-World/Johnny-Weir/9781451610284/excerpt

I must say, save for the hulking idiot reference, that was much better written than the prologue.