PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

nursebetty
01-14-2011, 03:04 AM
I love it when these post take so many twist and turns.............I guess he has other things to spend his money on, instead of food. Who would pay for the bus?

Southpaw
01-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Who would pay for the bus?

My guess is Viacom since they own Logo. Simon & Schuster isn't likely to put up that kind of money for promotion, but Viacom probably would since this spectacle has production value. It's not like they can film him skating right now so they've got to film him doing something. It's also possible that S&S and Viacom split the cost in a cooperative marketing campaign, but if I were a betting woman my chips would be on Viacom.

sk8er1964
01-14-2011, 04:00 AM
Didn't I read somewhere on FSU that some people use smoking to suppress their appetite so they can keep their weight down?

I gained 25 pounds when I quit smoking. Although I'd rather be fat than smoke, I can understand those who would choose the other path.

meggonzo
01-14-2011, 04:30 AM
I gained 25 pounds when I quit smoking. Although I'd rather be fat than smoke, I can understand those who would choose the other path.

I thought a lot of people gained weight when they quit smoking because you are used to putting something in your mouth so you substitute food rather than a cigarette. Not so much that smoking suppresses your appetite... but I suppose if you are smoking then maybe you wouldn't eat as much?

LuckyCharm
01-14-2011, 04:53 AM
I thought a lot of people gained weight when they quit smoking because you are used to putting something in your mouth so you substitute food rather than a cigarette. Not so much that smoking suppresses your appetite... but I suppose if you are smoking then maybe you wouldn't eat as much?

Nicotine actually does act as an appetite suppressant, although the degree can vary from person to person.

MacMadame
01-14-2011, 05:35 AM
I thought the typical deal was to rent a bus and pay to have it painted?

BittyBug
01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
I thought a lot of people gained weight when they quit smoking because you are used to putting something in your mouth so you substitute food rather than a cigarette. Not so much that smoking suppresses your appetite... but I suppose if you are smoking then maybe you wouldn't eat as much?Nicotine is a stimulant, so it not only suppresses the appetite, it also revs up your metabolism, so you burn more calories.

By reducing the appetite and raising the metabolism, some smokers may lose weight as a consequence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

Carolla5501
01-14-2011, 12:14 PM

You don't even pay to have it painted anymore. They have those "stick on" things they can place on the outside of the bus.. much easier and cheaper then paint. I am sure this is what Weir has... basic black bus with his "film" on the outside

zaphyre14
01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
The city buses here have advertising and logos that are printed and shrink-wrapped on the buses so they can be changed freqently, depending upon sponsors. I expect that's what's been done to the book tour bus.

As for all the talk about Sochi, well, Weir's built his "fame" on being "Olympic Figure Skater Johnny Weir"" Take away the skating and he's just another flashy gay guy in NYC - not much to build a career on. So, even if he's not competing, he has to keep doing shows or at least talking about skating in order to keep some kind of identity among the media. Mentioning the Olympics keeps the link in people's minds.

Frau Muller
01-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Apparently, Johnny has a book tour bus. I hope this link is accessible. the bus design is really cool.

http://twitpic.com/3pr5af

LOL, this is a hoot! I hope that it pulls-up to Wash, DC sometime soon. :lol:

meggonzo
01-15-2011, 01:23 AM
Nicotine is a stimulant, so it not only suppresses the appetite, it also revs up your metabolism, so you burn more calories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

I was just a social smoker so I usually had a beer in the other hand, so I guess they ended up cancelling each other out! Plus not smoking gives me more endurance when I'm working out. :D

I got Johnny's book in the mail the other day. I've only read the first few chapters so far, hopefully I will get time to finish it this weekend. But I think people should read it before being so critical! He is admitting he was (is?) a brat! At least he has the guts to put it in print...

sk9tingfan
01-15-2011, 01:38 AM

I was having a conversation about this with my friend who works for 3M. 3M actually manufactures decals that are applied to the entire bus. After the bus is returned from rental, there is a special solvent that dissolves the decal. 3M did all of the decals for the Olympic buses in Vancouver.

Tomorrow, Johnny is supposedly going to be in Framingham, MA at 9AM, Rhode Island at 11:30 AM and in West Harford at 2:30 PM. They must be estimating the number of people who are likely to show up and gauge the book signing time accordingly. But, whoever is driving is going to have to have a lead foot! He is also expected in Albany at 6 PM!

meggonzo
01-15-2011, 01:43 AM
I was having a conversation about this with my friend who works for 3M. 3M actually manufactures decals that are applied to the entire bus. After the bus is returned from rental, there is a special solvent that dissolves the decal. 3M did all of the decals for the Olympic buses in Vancouver.

Tomorrow, Johnny is supposedly going to be in Framingham, MA at 9AM, Rhode Island at 11:30 AM and in West Harford at 2:30 PM. They must be estimating the number of people who are likely to show up and gauge the book signing time accordingly. But, whoever is driving is going to have to have a lead foot! He is also expected in Albany at 6 PM!

I saw that he is doing Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison all in one day too. Then I got pissed because there is no Minneapolis date yet.

DFJ
01-15-2011, 01:42 PM
For Weir fans, he's on MSNBC in a couple of minutes.

Sylvia
01-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Q&A in the Albany (NY) Times Union: Weir lets readers into his 'World' (http://www.timesunion.com/living/article/Q-A-with-Johnny-Weir-957438.php)