PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

overedge
01-09-2011, 02:20 AM
I found this on GoldenSkate, from a 2004 interview with Weiss:
(http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2003/051604.shtml)

Latara: Why did you say such bad things about Johnny Weir and Matt Savoie's skating at last year's nationals?

Mike: I have a lot of respect for my competitors. I know the hard work that is put in to compete at this level and I would not intentionally put down another skaters hard work. Sometimes the press will interpret things differently than intended, and that is part of our sport.

I am not sure what was written, but what I said when asked how Johnny and Matt's programs would compare to others technically at the World Championships, I replied that artistically they are as good as anyone at Worlds. They are both strong spinners and have good footwork. But technically, at Junior Worlds you can win with a triple Axel. Not at Worlds. You need a quad in the short program to compete for a medal.

Somehow that was construed as me saying their skating was "Junior-ish" and that I felt I should have been ahead of them. I did not feel that way at all. They skated better than me that night.

luCN
01-09-2011, 02:24 AM
wow,I never thought Michael Weiss will be the first big name in the book in this way :eek::eek::eek:

any more details about the book?

and could you please tell me about the withdraw for GPF thing?

neptune
01-09-2011, 02:29 AM
I am not sure what was written, but what I said when asked how Johnny and Matt's programs would compare to others technically at the World Championships, I replied that artistically they are as good as anyone at Worlds. They are both strong spinners and have good footwork. But technically, at Junior Worlds you can win with a triple Axel. Not at Worlds. You need a quad in the short program to compete for a medal.

That makes sense. But does anyone have a quote of what Mike actually said to the press at the time? Perhaps his words were more blunt and thus easy to misinterpret.

Somehow that was construed as me saying their skating was "Junior-ish" and that I felt I should have been ahead of them. I did not feel that way at all. They skated better than me that night.

Wait a minute--Mike did finish ahead of Savoie, didn't he?

psycho
01-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Here's the thing... I doubt that Weir would want everything HE has done in the presence of his competitors disclosed.... he might should have thought about that. Sometimes you reap what you sow. I have a feeling Evan alone has some great "stories" LOL!
Well, if Evan could spell, he would write his own book, with his set of stories. Until then...:lol:

luCN
01-09-2011, 02:39 AM
I doubt if Evan write a book,he won't mention Johnny a lot,he's keeping avoid talk about Johnny in his interviews...

Clarity
01-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Well, if Evan could spell, he would write his own book, with his set of stories. Until then...:lol:

One doesn't need to know how to spell to write a book. Heck, one needn't really know anything to write a book these days. Didn't Snooki from Jersey Shore just release a novel? :rolleyes:

Nomad
01-09-2011, 02:54 AM
I found this on GoldenSkate, from a 2004 interview with Weiss:
(http://www.goldenskate.com/articles/2003/051604.shtml)

Did Michael Weiss ever land a clean, ratified quad in competition? I can't remember one.

neptune
01-09-2011, 02:57 AM
One doesn't need to know how to spell to write a book. Heck, one needn't really know anything to write a book these days....:rolleyes:

:lol: Yeah, nowadays it seems that everybody has "written" a book. Somehow being the author of a book doesn't carry quite the same cachet as it used to. ;)

jlai
01-09-2011, 02:58 AM
Did Michael Weiss ever land a clean, ratified quad in competition? I can't remember one.

He has landed two: one during 2000 worlds short, the other one I think at 2005 world.

Nomad
01-09-2011, 03:02 AM
Hmmm. Okay, thanks. His quad comment in the interview made it sound like more than just two.

neptune
01-09-2011, 03:09 AM
His quad comment in the interview made it sound like more than just two.

Well, he's had a lot of "pretty close" ones, I think.

Rex
01-09-2011, 03:29 AM
Johnny has even admitted in interviews that he's not nice to his competitors, that he can be pretty nasty. I guess it does work both ways.

overedge
01-09-2011, 03:32 AM
That makes sense. But does anyone have a quote of what Mike actually said to the press at the time? Perhaps his words were more blunt and thus easy to misinterpret.

I looked a bit online and couldn't find a direct quote. Weir's online journal from that event says something to the effect that he "became aware" that Weiss was calling his skating "junior-ish" but doesn't give a source.

Nomad
01-09-2011, 03:33 AM
Well, he's had a lot of "pretty close" ones, I think.

Those are the ones I remember. The two-footed landings that made Hamilton squeal "He ALLLLLMOST had that!"

neptune
01-09-2011, 03:35 AM
I looked a bit online and couldn't find a direct quote. Weir's online journal from that event says something to the effect that he "became aware" that Weiss was calling his skating "junior-ish" but doesn't give a source.

OK, thanks for the info.