PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Frau Muller
01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Was surprised to see this on the front page of yahoo this morning lol : http://news.yahoo.com/video/entertainment-15749636/johnny-weir-welcome-to-my-world-23815593

Thanks for the link. Good interview.

Lightbulb just came on! As Johnny was talking about his wish to skate in Sochi 2014 -- and that he would definitely make up his mind by 2012 "max" -- a thought occurred: Would Johnny 'pull an Andreev' and perhaps change nationalities so that he can compete in Sochi? I could see him skating for some small ex-USSR country and definitely making the cut of 30 skaters who can go to Olympics, while it would be harder (impossible after the book?) to be named by the USFSA. So maybe we could have Johnny Weir - National Champ of Moldova?

Jenny
01-13-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm in the camp that thinks Johnny will never compete again. There are too many strikes against the idea - the commitment to training and staying in shape, the investment in training/choreography etc, the importance of staying on top of rule changes and the nuances of CoP, the way he continues to alienate the skating establishment and thus erode support, the continuing progression of his competitors, etc - not to mention the experience of Sasha and others who have attempted to comeback, only to discover that their best days are behind them.

I think he's just keeping all his doors open as much as possible while he figures out what to do. Plus, he's trying to hang on to the broader fan base - once you are out of the competitive mix, there is less interest among fans, and you are talked about far less (which is the last thing Johnny wants). In fact, by continuing to tease in the way he does, he assures that he will get talked about by skating fans.

Even if he competed for another country, sure he'd get to go, but would he be on the podium? That's a lot of physical and emotional effort and huge time commitment just to do worse. My bet is he finds another way to be in Sochi - as a commentator for example, or just voiding about with his Russian and Japanese friends.

Wyliefan
01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
The deal with Birkin bags is that it IS the ultimate status symbol. People don't want it because it's a well-made purse or for its design. Rather, they want it because in order to have one you have to be put on Hermes's waiting list (traditional way), have connections to sidestep waiting list, or procure it via some 3rd party transactions.

There was a whole Gilmore Girls episode about that, when Rory's upper-class boyfriend got her one and she didn't even know what it was, and her grandmother went into the stratosphere. "He got her a Birkin bag! Richard, he got her a BIRKIN BAG!" :lol:

Carolla5501
01-13-2011, 08:41 PM
The deal with Birkin bags is that it IS the ultimate status symbol. People don't want it because it's a well-made purse or for its design. Rather, they want it because in order to have one you have to be put on Hermes's waiting list (traditional way), have connections to sidestep waiting list, or procure it via some 3rd party transactions. Believe or not, fashionistas get really creative with trying to purchase Birkin bag because it instantaneously says to other fashionistas "Bitch I'm way better than you, look what I got!" It really is a simple, well-constructed bag which a lot of older owners have had for years, but I find that the newer, younger collectors are the very definition of Fashion Snobs i.e. people who want something because of the status it confers, not because they appreciate the craftsmanship.

I would love one, but not enough to pay for it. I am currently debating on spending some "Found" money on either a Hermes scarf or an IPad :lol: (Yes I know I don't need EITHER!) (I am a fan of Hermes, just not rich... :) )

For those of you curious.. there's an entire BOOK by this one guy who made a career out of getting these bags and reselling them "Bringing Home the Birken" I haven't read it, but from the little I saw in the bookstore.. these do inspire folks to go to extreme measures! They also made a big appearance in Diane Johnson's book set in Paris (whose name escapes me right now)

(Do you think if I tweet someone will give one to me.. umm. probably not and I don't really get the tweeting concept...)

Anita18
01-13-2011, 08:54 PM
The deal with Birkin bags is that it IS the ultimate status symbol. People don't want it because it's a well-made purse or for its design. Rather, they want it because in order to have one you have to be put on Hermes's waiting list (traditional way), have connections to sidestep waiting list, or procure it via some 3rd party transactions. Believe or not, fashionistas get really creative with trying to purchase Birkin bag because it instantaneously says to other fashionistas "Bitch I'm way better than you, look what I got!" It really is a simple, well-constructed bag which a lot of older owners have had for years, but I find that the newer, younger collectors are the very definition of Fashion Snobs i.e. people who want something because of the status it confers, not because they appreciate the craftsmanship.
Yes, even though I'm not a fan of the design, I can certainly appreciate great craftsmanship. And people who get things because they're status symbols and don't appreciate the actual quality also frustrate me. Whenever I see a Steinway grand in someone's house which has obviously not been played very much, it hurts my soul. :drama:

I take it from other comments that it's mostly that he eats very little and survives on Starbucks (didn't another poster mention upthread that she once gave him a Starbucks gift card as a fan gift? bizarre).

If there are other details, I'd be interested to hear them.
There's someone on the interwebs who summarizes every Howard Stern show. I figured. :lol:

http://marksfriggin.com/news11/1-10.htm#tue

Johnny's bit is a little further down. He does say that he eats whatever he wants now - the strict diet was for when he was training. He knows it's ridiculous and doesn't advocate it for anyone else, but the mental rigidity seemed to help him. Supposedly. :lol:

genevieve
01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I had to go look up Birkin bags...I think the style is plain at best, but I'm tickled that they were made for/named after Jane Birkin :cheer2:

marbri
01-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Um, about those Birkins:

http://www.shefinds.com/2010/news-hermes-australia-admits-a-birkin-waiting-list-never-existed/

allezfred
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Hermes also does the Kelly bag (http://www.choosehandbag.com/2009/06/the-classic-hermes-kelly-bag/) named after Grace Kelly.

Yazmeen
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I take it from other comments that it's mostly that he eats very little and survives on Starbucks (didn't another poster mention upthread that she once gave him a Starbucks gift card as a fan gift? bizarre).

If there are other details, I'd be interested to hear them.

Salad and a small piece of meat. That's it. For the whole day...

Jenny
01-13-2011, 09:14 PM
There's someone on the interwebs who summarizes every Howard Stern show. I figured. :lol:

http://marksfriggin.com/news11/1-10.htm#tue

Johnny's bit is a little further down. He does say that he eats whatever he wants now - the strict diet was for when he was training. He knows it's ridiculous and doesn't advocate it for anyone else, but the mental rigidity seemed to help him. Supposedly. :lol:

Salad and a small piece of meat. That's it. For the whole day...

I understand this has been discussed at length on FSU before, so I won't go into it here, but just :eek::eek::eek::eek:

He said he's actually been able to eat. He said he eats a salad and a piece of chicken that's not that big, just once a day. That's what he'd be eating during training. Howard said he must be burning a lot of calories when he's training so how can he get away with eating so little. Johnny said that it worked for him. He said he felt strong when he was doing that. Johnny said that he was trying to achieve an Olympic dream and giving up something makes you stronger. He said it's a weird mental game. He said that he's 5'9'' tall and only weighs 136 pounds. Johnny said you have to be light to be able to jump off the ground and do what they do.

Howard asked Johnny if he likes being able to eat normally now. Johnny said it's kind of scary. Howard heard that he's smoking now too. Johnny said he doesn't smoke on a regular basis. Howard said that would be nuts to smoke every day. Johnny agreed. Howard said that he's able to live a normal life in moderation now. He said that a lot of football players balloon up when they stop playing.

Weight and diet aside, the language he's used (if this is close to what he actually said) sounds a lot like the language of eating disorders - all about control.

danceronice
01-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Hermes also does the Kelly bag (http://www.choosehandbag.com/2009/06/the-classic-hermes-kelly-bag/) named after Grace Kelly.

Ye gods, $10,000-60,000? Surely they're joking. For that money they better be able to tell me the name of whatever animal it was stitched from.

I thought people who wasted $250k on show hunters were nuts.

Whenever I see a Steinway grand in someone's house which has obviously not been played very much, it hurts my soul.

LOL, you'd weep at our house. Mom's hands aren't really up to Chopin edtudes any more, and none of the rest of us play. I doubt the thing's been tuned since my parents moved. But I doubt it's worth much--it was old and secondhand when her parents bought it fifty years ago and while it's okay shape I wouldn't put it on stage at Carnegie Hall.

azskatefan
01-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Lightbulb just came on! As Johnny was talking about his wish to skate in Sochi 2014 -- and that he would definitely make up his mind by 2012 "max" -- a thought occurred: Would Johnny 'pull an Andreev' and perhaps change nationalities so that he can compete in Sochi? I could see him skating for some small ex-USSR country and definitely making the cut of 30 skaters who can go to Olympics, while it would be harder (impossible after the book?) to be named by the USFSA. So maybe we could have Johnny Weir - National Champ of Moldova?

U.S. Figure Skating would never release Johnny Weir to skate for another country. If he skates, he'll have to do it for the good ol' Stars and Stripes.

igniculus
01-13-2011, 10:13 PM
He still can marry someone and obtain a dual citizenship.

Frau Muller
01-13-2011, 10:14 PM
U.S. Figure Skating would never release Johnny Weir to skate for another country. If he skates, he'll have to do it for the good ol' Stars and Stripes.

I'm guessing that USFSA would be dying to release him! "Go, Johnny, Go - as far away as possible, please!!!"

azskatefan
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
He still can marry someone and obtain a dual citizenship.

It doesn't matter if he becomes a citizen of someplace else because he's competed for the USA so recently. He would have to be released by U.S. Figure Skating.