PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

DickButtonFan
01-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Was surprised to see this on the front page of yahoo this morning lol : http://news.yahoo.com/video/entertainment-15749636/johnny-weir-welcome-to-my-world-23815593

judiz
01-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Someone really needs to tell Johnny to lay off the eye make up and hair products.

REO
01-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Yes, I'm so glad AJ took the time to compare all the fonts of the various figure skater autobiographies he's read. That's very important when trying to decide whether or not to buy a book. :rofl:

Yes that's what I meant. :rolleyes:

Rex
01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
WHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYY would BD Wong go to this hot mess of a book signing?? :drama: I now need to watch 5 episodes of SVU on netflix to cleanse myself....

Weir looks ghastly. :wall: I'm his age and a gay male so I can say that, right?

Sarah Hughes looked stunning, well at least from the backside pic. :EVILLE:

And Baiul does look right at home. :yikes:
The Borg is coming to get you...they know where you live. All infidels MUST be reprogrammed.

Come with us - we're hiding in the mountains

Finnice
01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Someone really needs to tell Johnny to lay off the eye make up and hair products.

I guess this it exactly the look he wants to have.

marbri
01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes that's what I meant. :rolleyes:

You do get that was her sarcastic response to your opinion that it was a good review?

taf2002
01-13-2011, 04:08 PM

I don't mind the makeup..it is similar to Adam Lambert's & I don't mind his. I like the poofy hair...I guess I'm the only one.

DuckLikesSkate
01-13-2011, 04:16 PM

I agree. It's way over the top. I have been called 'homophobic' when talking to others (despite being gay myself) for expressing the view that there is a line between being daring and just being tacky and that Weir often crosses the line. I'm all for expressing oneself, but if you do something wild and crazy it better look good and work. For example, as much as I hate Lady Gaga, I have to admit that her crazy looks do "work". Weir's, on the other hand, usually do not.

Theatregirl1122
01-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Weir looks ghastly. :wall: I'm his age and a gay male so I can say that, right?

Only if you know what a Birkin bag is.

Frau Muller
01-13-2011, 04:45 PM

I re-read the book last night. (Yes, it takes more than one sitting to absorb it all.) In an early chapter (the one titled "A Weired Child"), Johnny writes about secretly trying-on his mom's make-up when she wasn't around. The book is laced with comments such as "I got myself dolled-up" or "I put on my make-up" etc. Johnny loves to say that he is "all dolled up." :lol:

igniculus
01-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Only if you know what a Birkin bag is.

I sense we're gonna have a new rep level soon... :P

judiz
01-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Yes but prior to 2007 Johnny's make up always looked very natural, now he's having too much put on around his eyes.

kwanette
01-13-2011, 05:49 PM
I re-read the book last night. (Yes, it takes more than one sitting to absorb it all.) In an early chapter (the one titled "A Weired Child"), Johnny writes about secretly trying-on his mom's make-up when she wasn't around. The book is laced with comments such as "I got myself dolled-up" or "I put on my make-up" etc. Johnny loves to say that he is "all dolled up." :lol:

On pages 13-14, he describes watching his mom get ready to go out. He actually says he played with the lipsticks and eye shadows "until she left the bathroom" and then he'd go and watch her get dressed.He was in the bathroom (sitting on the edge of the tub) with Mom while she got ready..he didn't sneak make-up use.

I don't give a rusty hoot or hoop..I like Johnny and I am glad that he is cashing in on his "Olympic fame.."

portia
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I didn't know what a Birkin bag was until yesterday, when I saw some people on a gossip blog commenting on how they had seen so many of them on celebrities recently (the celebrity in question was Kim Kardashian) and I thought, "THAT plain old thing?" :rofl:

And yeah, Johnny does seem to be a little too materialistic for his own good...:shuffle:

The deal with Birkin bags is that it IS the ultimate status symbol. People don't want it because it's a well-made purse or for its design. Rather, they want it because in order to have one you have to be put on Hermes's waiting list (traditional way), have connections to sidestep waiting list, or procure it via some 3rd party transactions. Believe or not, fashionistas get really creative with trying to purchase Birkin bag because it instantaneously says to other fashionistas "Bitch I'm way better than you, look what I got!" It really is a simple, well-constructed bag which a lot of older owners have had for years, but I find that the newer, younger collectors are the very definition of Fashion Snobs i.e. people who want something because of the status it confers, not because they appreciate the craftsmanship.

From a high fashion/ art perspective, there is a difference between avant garde and ridiculous tackiness. If one naturally possesses a good design sense or aesthetics, then one also has a point of reference and knows how to edit or present those certain visual views he/ she is trying to convey.

At this point I don't know if Johnny realizes it or not, but he's coming across as the Bobby Trendy of the east coast. Bobby Trendy, is most famously known as famewhore extraordinaire, self-proclaimed interior decorator to the stars (well he DOES have a shop in L.A.), was on Anna Nicole's reality show. Everytime I see Johnny dress up/ made up ridiculously I can't help but think of him referencing not Lady Gaga but Bobby Trendy. BT IS the ruler of the Gay D-list, he's been to random premieres and dressing for attention in L.A. for years. Some pictures of BT...don't blame me if you need eye bleach after seeing them.

http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/bobby_reichen.jpg

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/03/BOBBY%20TRENDY%20RIHANNA%20PIC.jpg

http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/14094861spasulka525200752427pm.jpg

http://www.contactmusic.com/pics/ld/bobby_trendy_and_dog_2_180210/bobby_trendy_5432428.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/resources/2008/03/bobbysing.jpg

Jenny
01-13-2011, 06:10 PM
-His diet is frightening, and Howard and Robin were obviously shocked and called him on it.

I take it from other comments that it's mostly that he eats very little and survives on Starbucks (didn't another poster mention upthread that she once gave him a Starbucks gift card as a fan gift? bizarre).

If there are other details, I'd be interested to hear them.