PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

genevieve
01-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Baiul looked right at home with the hot tranny messes. :lol:
She kinda looked like a fresh thing next to all that makeup - but then in a later pic her face was so red she looked like she must've slammed a fifth in the back alley.

I don't know--I just found that kinda sad. To be in your mid twenties and have no sense of what you want to do, or even any sense of what you want to do *next* is a rather sad state of affairs. And I do wonder what could bring someone to be in a position of utter lack of direction at that stage in one's life.
Most people I knew in my mid-late 20s were transitioning from the waittress/coffee shop gigs to figuring out what they really wanted to do - many didn't discover what they really were meant to do until they were in their 30s. Anecdotal, sure, but I think it's not uncommon in your mid-twenties. Plus, Johnny's had far more of a career already than most people his age.

Also, I would tend to think with figure skaters, there's a natural expiration set in. People don't think of competing in skating for the rest of their lives--they know from the beginning there has to be a next chapter. So given that, I would think a bit more thought would have gone into the next step. And my sense with Weir is no such thought has really occurred.
Again, this isn't surprising to me. Transitioning from a career that takes such intense focus - and one in which there is an expiration date as you note - can be really difficult. It's not unlike transitioning from a dance career. Yes, it's prudent to think of the next step of your career before you're forced out of the current one, but it doesn't always happen.

agalisgv
01-12-2011, 10:24 PM
many didn't discover what they really were meant to do until they were in their 30s. I'm not talking about finding one's ultimate life-long career. For one, many people don't have a single life-long career.

I'm not talking about people who might say, "I'm not sure what I want to do yet, so I'm going to college to see if that tells me anything." Or, "I'm still figuring out what I want to do with my life, but in the meantime I'm working in my uncle's shop." Or, "I'm playing around with a few options, but for now I'm still waiting tables so at least I can pay the bills."

In each of those cases, the next step is at least identified. It may not be towards the ultimate goal, but at least the person has a sense of what they are going to do for now until they have a direction they want to pursue. What I hear Weir saying is not only does he not know what he wants to do with his life, he doesn't even know the next step to take in the meantime. So instead he's waiting for someone to land him something without him having to actually work in the interim. And I do know people like that--they keep waiting for their big break without actually doing anything on their own. And when that big break doesn't happen, the fault for that is usually attributed to others ("I could have made it big, but so-and-so got in my way and I never got the break I should have.")

To me Weir appears to be falling into the latter category. Obviously YMMV

kia_4EverOnIce
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree with genevieve. After years on focusing only on skating, it's not surprising that it's difficult to re-focus on daily life and find out what to do next. Then, I don't think that Weir has really a lot of empty time with all the media-appearance he's doing. I believe that right now he's just trying out different things and having fun. IMO it's more saddening the idea that one worth is measured but how much he's "famous", but on the other hand this is only an idea I had reading the excerpts...so it's just personal opinion..

And I agree with Genevieve also that now it's difficult to take a defined career path by mid-twenties...Most of the people I know had to struggle to find it till late twenties..

EDIT (I hadn't noticed agalisgv answer):
he doesn't even know the next step to take in the meantime
could he just saying that he's willing to try different things? or that he doesn't know what to do in the evening? ;)

essence_of_soy
01-12-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm closing in on 40 and want to change careers completely and I don't know what I in my wise old age want to do next!

I'd kill to have half your talent and drive!

genevieve
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
What I hear Weir saying is not only does he not know what he wants to do with his life, he doesn't even know the next step to take in the meantime. So instead he's waiting for someone to land him something without him having to actually work in the interim.
Well, he is being handed a lot of short-term opportunities, so in a way I can understand his wanting to take advantage of anything that comes his way, since this wave of stuff may not last (please!). And part of that is probably having to be open minded about opportunities so that someone won't NOT send him something because he's publicly said he wants to go in another direction.

I think we're ultimately in agreement in that he's taking a very passive position on it right now - now whether this is part of a larger strategy to take advantage of everything NOW and make his big move, or just him floating along, remains to be seen.

But I don't see that much difference between "I'm playing around with a few options, but for now I'm still waiting tables so at least I can pay the bills." and "I don't really know what I'm going to do next but in the meantime people are calling me to do a zillion crappy projects that will keep my name in the media so why not do it all?". Except one is far more public than the other.

manleywoman
01-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Well, he is being handed a lot of short-term opportunities, so in a way I can understand his wanting to take advantage of anything that comes his way, since this wave of stuff may not last (please!). And part of that is probably having to be open minded about opportunities so that someone won't NOT send him something because he's publicly said he wants to go in another direction.

I think we're ultimately in agreement in that he's taking a very passive position on it right now - now whether this is part of a larger strategy to take advantage of everything NOW and make his big move, or just him floating along, remains to be seen.

All of which I think is perfectly valid to do. I see nothing wrong with writing a book, being on TV, radio shows, etc. But if he was considering entering skating again to either compete or do shows, he should have been more careful about burning those bridges on all those different media outlets, because now those options are most likely gone for him. Once the tv shows and book tours end, he's going to need to find something to do, and I don't think at this point the skating options would be as available as they would have been had he been more diplomatic.

julieann
01-12-2011, 11:45 PM
But if he was considering entering skating again to either compete or do shows, he should have been more careful about burning those bridges on all those different media outlets, because now those options are most likely gone for him. Once the tv shows and book tours end, he's going to need to find something to do, and I don't think at this point the skating options would be as available as they would have been had he been more diplomatic.

I have a feeling he will never set foot on competitive ice again a deep down he knows it. Shows know what they get with Johnny and will take the good with the bad (is he really that bad?) so I think the show opportunities will be be out there if he wants them.

I heard the whole interview and I like Johnny, just as much now as I did before.

agalisgv
01-12-2011, 11:47 PM
I think we're ultimately in agreement in that he's taking a very passive position on it right now - now whether this is part of a larger strategy to take advantage of everything NOW and make his big move, or just him floating along, remains to be seen. ITA--though I tend to think at this point it's the latter. FWIW, I used to think it was the former.

WindSpirit
01-13-2011, 12:03 AM
lots more photos from the book party (http://www.universalsports.com/photos/galleryid=509577.html) Poor Dick Button, I hope no one made him actually read the book.

Sarah Hughes looked smashing.

Johhny's eye makeup was a disaster. It looked like a child did it, and it made him look like his eyes were looking in two different directions.

Aussie Willy
01-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Had to laugh at the pictures of Dick and also Randy from the Village People.

Yazmeen
01-13-2011, 01:06 AM
I opted to listen to the interview, a few thoughts:

-First off, a good proportion of Howard's questions were not particularly "goading"a (aside from the usual Stern sexual "shock" questions.) Frankly, I was surprised how well informed he was about Johnny. He worked off of what he learned about Johnny. Yes, Howard was Howard, but a lot his questions were sensible. Not a lot of softballs, but it was not a total sleazefest either.

-Yes, Johnny is still pushing the "only one North American man could be on the podium" crap and that he was judged unfairly in Vancouver.
-According to Johnny, one issue with judges is that they are "all a half century older than us," read: old and addled.
-Clarification: He did not STATE he should have won the OGM; when Howard asked if he should have won it, he agreed, much laughter all around, so this was not exactly a serious point. When Howard asked if he thought if he felt he was held to a different standard than Evan, he agreed. It should be mentioned that this was all around a phone call from a guy who obviously adored and was hot for Johnny and was just fawning all over him and thought Johnny was much better than Evan. This was not exactly a serious discussion, so I personally didn't read too much into it.
-His diet is frightening, and Howard and Robin were obviously shocked and called him on it.

Yes, it was bawdy and over the top, but that was to expected considering this was the Howard Stern Show. That said, while it wasn't as bad as I thought from previous posts, it still shows that celebrity is what means most to Johnny. And as someone who used to adore him for his skating, that just isn't my cup of tea.

Coco
01-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Howard is a FANTASTIC interviewer and for all his "schtick", he's a success because he works his butt off and is PREPARED.

CNN should have taken him seriously when he said he wanted to replace Larry King.

Carolla5501
01-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Howard is a FANTASTIC interviewer and for all his "schtick", he's a success because he works his butt off and is PREPARED.

CNN should have taken him seriously when he said he wanted to replace Larry King.

CNN couldn't afford the FCC fines Howard brings. I agree he is prepared, but he's missing a key filter button :)

BittyBug
01-13-2011, 01:54 AM
What I hear Weir saying is not only does he not know what he wants to do with his life, he doesn't even know the next step to take in the meantime. Where are you getting this from? Less than a year ago, Johnny was training for the Olympics. Since his competitive career ended (or was put on hold if you believe in Santa Claus), he has served as a commentator for the World Championships, written a book, served as a judge on a skating reality show on national TV, skated in several skating shows around the world, made other cameo appearances on TV, and is in filming for the second season of his own TV show. He's capitalizing on income opportunities while they exist.

Only he knows whether he has a long term plan, but if he doesn't, he certainly has time to figure one out. And in the meantime, for someone who "doesn't even know the next step to take," he sure is busy. I mean, it's not like he's living at home in his parents' basement rolling out of bed at noon and sucking on a bong to wake up.

But if he was considering entering skating again to either compete or do shows, he should have been more careful about burning those bridges on all those different media outlets, because now those options are most likely gone for him. Once the tv shows and book tours end, he's going to need to find something to do, and I don't think at this point the skating options would be as available as they would have been had he been more diplomatic.In the US, SOI and the occasional Disson show are about all that's left on a larger scale, and I think Johnny closed those doors long ago because of his image and comments he has made over the years. His more recent comments just removed any possible doubt that either might ever be an option. But he doesn't seem to have the same challenges in Europe or Asia though.

.....it still shows that celebrity is what means most to Johnny. And as someone who used to adore him for his skating, that just isn't my cup of tea.I'm with you. I loved his skating, but have absolutely no interest in celebrity or Johnny's flitting about with this one or that one, and as a result, I'm still on the fence about whether I'll read the book.

Anita18
01-13-2011, 02:09 AM
I opted to listen to the interview, a few thoughts:

-First off, a good proportion of Howard's questions were not particularly "goading"a (aside from the usual Stern sexual "shock" questions.) Frankly, I was surprised how well informed he was about Johnny. He worked off of what he learned about Johnny. Yes, Howard was Howard, but a lot his questions were sensible. Not a lot of softballs, but it was not a total sleazefest either.

-His diet is frightening, and Howard and Robin were obviously shocked and called him on it.
I only listened to a few minutes of the interview, but Howard wasn't very contentious and did seem like he was prepared.

I've heard that Johnny has a health issue which made it mandatory for him to be extremely thin while skating, but if he's not training, he should be able to let up a bit! I don't eat very much myself, but I feel like right crap if I'm not getting enough nutrition. Not sure how other people do it...