PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

taf2002
01-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Does Johnny say anything in this book that makes people think he was faking it at 2003 Nationals? I talked to him at the hotel later & he was on crutches. He was wearing a warmup suit & the knee area was really big, like he had a bandage on it. And his eyes looked like he was in pain. (He sure fooled me if he wasn't injured.) A few years after this I was discussing 2003 Nats with Pricilla & she told me his knee was so swollen that the kneecap was out of place.

judiz
01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
The knee injury was real, when Johnny first hit the boards, he automatically held his back as if injured because he didn't know what else to do. - Johnny said because he had won his first competition and was moving up the ranks so fast, he never learned how to compete and what to do if he loss so he faked the back injury and was allowed to start over.

manleywoman
01-12-2011, 06:55 PM
For those with access to the Archives here, that 3.75 was Joe Inman's Transitions score and it was pointed out and discussed in this 2010 US Nationals thread (ETA: Inman's range for Transitions in the Men's SP ranged from 8.0 to 2.0 and he marked Weir 15th out of the field of 23): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70616

And Inman was hardly shy all year about his opinions of how PCS should be scored, particularly with Transitions (ie: the Plushy/Joubert debate). So why should Johnny have been surprised? It's his job as an athlete to "get over it" and move on.

After seeing that no one from the USA was showing up, Galina was able to catch the doctor from the Russian team which had just finished practice and he agreed to stay while Johnny was on the ice. Johnny is upset that no one showed up and according to his book, he never asked why and no one on the federation ever told him why no one was at the last scheduled practice.

Team Johnny should have followed up with that. It could have been a simple miscommunication, though knowing the history between Johnny/USFS I can see why Johnny would think it was a deliberate slight. But they should have found out why.

If you make it to the end of the interview (and many will find the discussion to graphic to make it that far), Johnny flat out says, he should have won the Olympics.

Delusional.

I have not read the book, but for years I've been hearing a lot of whining and excuses from this guy. Physcologically thrown off by a judge who's very consistent/harsh with his marks (um, he could have given the Gold to the Kween!), too disheveled after missing the bus in Torino to skate well in the LP there, can't perform in a different outfit, can't recoginize that for years his programs didn't have enough combos or points . . . even if he has the skills to be Olympic Champion, he never had the mental focus required to get there.

Carolla5501
01-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Team Johnny should have followed up with that. It could have been a simple miscommunication, though knowing the history between Johnny/USFS I can see why Johnny would think it was a deliberate slight. But they should have found out why.

Nah... there's no drama in that. This way Johnny could just wait to put it in his book as more 'proof' they didn't love him. :scream:

I love his skating the rest of the "act" is just that an 'act'. As for a comeback. :lol::lol:

After all the "attention" is he really going to want to spend LONG, COLD hours alone in a rink? After all the stuff he has said, would anyone coach him knowing "next book you are the target"?

Wonder how he will be received at Nationals when he picks up his award. I expect better then he deserves. While I am not a huge fan of USFSA most of them are ADULTS, not overgrown children which is what I am beginning to think Weir is.... Maybe he's just having a late "teen angst" period since he spent his teen years skating?

HisWeirness
01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
I believe that Johnny first mentioned the USFS olympic practice "snubbing" back in June 2010 in a blog post:
http://www.sundancechannel.com/sunfiltered/2010/06/johnny-weir-looks-back-at-the-olympics-fortius-altius-maximus/

On the last day before my short program the US men were scheduled for two practices and of the three men, I was the only one who would take advantage of the evening practice. At the Olympics, the US figure skating team is overseen by five main officials, a team leader, two assistant team leaders, a doctor and physiotherapist who are supposed to share responsibilities and at least one is to be present for every practice, event, press conference, drug test and so on for every single athlete. As a precursor to my event and the support I could expect to receive from my own team, not one team official showed up to my final official practice that night. Not one.
No idea if Johnny/Johnny's team followed up about this or not. I agree with manleywoman that a follow-up would have been helpful.

overedge
01-12-2011, 07:55 PM
I am envious I couldn't be there. I'm hoping my podcast get popular enough that I start getting invites to parties like that so I can cover them like IceNetwork does (I know LifeSkate is NYC-based, lucky girl!).

Then you can post about gently draping your Vuitton scarf over your shoulder and adjusting your to-die-for Prada blouse, while stepping into your cheeky D&G shoes while your car driver impatiently honks downstairs :P

overedge
01-12-2011, 08:00 PM
"There was a lot in the book that I had to take out…because of people that would sue me and stuff like that,” he said. “If I have the opportunity to write a second book, there will be completely new stories that nobody’s heard yet. There’s lots of dirt that I wanted to tell that I wasn’t able to because I’m still too close to the skating world.”

WTF is this supposed to mean? Even if he's not "still too close to the skating world" if/when he writes the second book, the stories the lawyers apparently made him take out this time are still going to be libelous the second time around.

Sylvia
01-12-2011, 08:00 PM
At the Olympics (at least before the competition) you practice with your team so at the last practice before the Olympic SP, it would had been Johnny, Evan and Jeremy. According to Johnny, Evan and Jeremy chose not to do the last practice which was held late at night. Olympic rules state a doctor and one representative from the federation must be at the rink whenever a skater is on the ice. After seeing that no one from the USA was showing up, Galina was able to catch the doctor from the Russian team which had just finished practice and he agreed to stay while Johnny was on the ice. Johnny is upset that no one showed up and according to his book, he never asked why and no one on the federation ever told him why no one was at the last scheduled practice.
I bolded the sentence quoted above because I'm not aware of this particular "Olympic rule" -- can anyone confirm?

I know the night before the Olympic Men's SP was the Pairs FS competition in which Denney/Barrett and Evora/Ladwig were competing. From what I know, I believe all the US skaters usually were informed ahead of time about which official(s) would attend which Olympic practice with the skaters. If this was true, then Johnny should have known that no one was scheduled to be at that practice and maybe he could have requested that someone be there for him? Also, there technically was one more men's practice (20 min. warmup) before the competition on the morning of the Men's SP, and I think it's safe to assume that U.S. team officials were present for that.

attyfan
01-12-2011, 08:13 PM
If you make it to the end of the interview (and many will find the discussion to graphic to make it that far), Johnny flat out says, he should have won the Olympics. This at about 49:47 in the interview. Johnny's song is played at the 42:00 minute mark.

Are you sure Johnny was serious?

Carolla5501
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Are you sure Johnny was serious?

Are we sure he is serious about anything?

allezfred
01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
lots more photos from the book party (http://www.universalsports.com/photos/galleryid=509577.html)

Baiul looked right at home with the hot tranny messes. :lol:

agalisgv
01-12-2011, 08:47 PM
WTF is this supposed to mean? Even if he's not "still too close to the skating world" if/when he writes the second book, the stories the lawyers apparently made him take out this time are still going to be libelous the second time around. Yeah, I thought the same thing.

My guess would be he's trying to speak to people's disappointment about the book not being as tell-all as was earlier promoted while also angling publishers for another deal.

On a different note, I have to say my initial reaction after reading the prologue that was posted was Weir came off as rather sad. There was this one bit where he spoke about being unable to not answer every call and text because at this point, he had no idea what he was going to do next and had to take whatever came his way.

I don't know--I just found that kinda sad. To be in your mid twenties and have no sense of what you want to do, or even any sense of what you want to do *next* is a rather sad state of affairs. And I do wonder what could bring someone to be in a position of utter lack of direction at that stage in one's life.

Anyhow, that was my initial reaction. After hearing more excerpts and his comments in interviews and whatnot, I'm rather left with a different impression. One thing Weir refers to frequently is how easy figure skating came to him. He mentioned within one year of first starting to skate, he was on the US team. And he has said it's difficult for him to understand skaters for whom skating doesn't come naturally. They have to work for jumps whereas for him a triple axel just happened fairly easily.

So I wonder if Weir is rather accustomed to things coming naturally as opposed to having to work for them. And when he has to work, he loses interest and motivation. In short, I wonder if Weir wants all the perks of success without having to actually work for it. Everything he talks about pursuing are basically hobbies of his. He designs costumes on the side, and then wants to get paid for it without working long hours as an apprentice and studying fashion in school. He's interested in learning things, but doesn't want to have to trudge through several years of college. He wants to be a skating champion, but not to the point where he has to forego getting drunk in an after-hour party before a competition.

So maybe part of his lack of direction stems from not being able to identify a career that would allow him success without having to pay his dues.

BlueRidge
01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
...I don't know--I just found that kinda sad. To be in your mid twenties and have no sense of what you want to do, or even any sense of what you want to do *next* is a rather sad state of affairs. And I do wonder what could bring someone to be in a position of utter lack of direction at that stage in one's life.

Really? I thought that was a common thing for folks in their 20s.

manleywoman
01-12-2011, 08:55 PM
I don't know--I just found that kinda sad. To be in your mid twenties and have no sense of what you want to do, or even any sense of what you want to do *next* is a rather sad state of affairs. And I do wonder what could bring someone to be in a position of utter lack of direction at that stage in one's life.

Well I don't fault him for not knowing what to do next at this point. I'm closing in on 40 and want to change careers completely and I don't know what I in my wise old age want to do next! :lol: I think after doing one thing for so long, and then it's just over like *that* it's hard to take the next step.

Having said that though, I have to agree with the rest of your post. He doesn't seem to WANT to do any hard work.

agalisgv
01-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Really? I thought that was a common thing for folks in their 20s. YMMV

I see a big difference between early twenties and late twenties. So I wouldn't lump all people in their twenties together.

That said, while people frequently change direction in their lives, I think it's different when someone has no sense of what they want to do even for now. People may not be able to do what they want, and they may change their minds down the road, but to not know at all what one might even try?

Also, I would tend to think with figure skaters, there's a natural expiration set in. People don't think of competing in skating for the rest of their lives--they know from the beginning there has to be a next chapter. So given that, I would think a bit more thought would have gone into the next step. And my sense with Weir is no such thought has really occurred.

If it's the case that Weir is looking for something that would give him success with very little effort on his part, it would be in keeping to not plan because after all, that takes effort too. Something should just 'come' to him. And that would make sense with his earlier comment about not refusing any call or text--if you're waiting for something to fall in your lap, you want to make sure you pick-up on the call/text that will bring in that golden goose.