PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Frau Muller
01-12-2011, 05:37 PM
So is Johnny working on a book sequel...part 2? He says that he "has lots of dirt left to tell"! LOL!!!

Cheylana
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
(the two usually only speak Russian to each other just to piss off USFS officials)

Also, Johnny writes about the 2010 Nationals like it was just the worst experience because, as always, EVERYONE WAS AGAINST HIM.
I'm not saying a 3.75 in PCS is justified, but why couldn't he see that maybe, just maybe, trying not to piss off the USFS officials would be a better way to go? :saint:

Frau Muller
01-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks LuCN. You're surely right about that. I had nothing against Frau Muller posting reports. I think it was nice of her I just can't believe people thought those few words were all there was for over 200 pages!

Errr...sounds as if I became a hot topic overnight? (ha-ha) What I wrote yesterday were just a few little anecdotes that I remembered after having read the entire book the night before...and it was not hard to read in one sitting because it's very 'lite'...250 pages double spaced, with wide margins. I didn't mean to imply that the book contains ONLY the 2-3 juicy tidbits that I recalled. Far from it. There's really a lot there to interest the fans and others.

Sylvia
01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Also, Johnny writes about the 2010 Nationals like it was just the worst experience because, as always, EVERYONE WAS AGAINST HIM. He writes that the reason he skated so poorly in the FS was because one of the judges gave him a 3.75 (or something like that) on one of the component marks in the SP. He just couldn't recover from that psychologically, you see.
For those with access to the Archives here, that 3.75 was Joe Inman's Transitions score and it was pointed out and discussed in this 2010 US Nationals thread (ETA: Inman's range for Transitions in the Men's SP ranged from 8.0 to 2.0 and he marked Weir 15th out of the field of 23): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70616

Ranking by Transition (skaters in the final flight are bolded):

Score/Skater/Short Program Placement

8.00 Abbott (1)
6.75 Lysacek (2)
6.50 Hochstein (8)
6.00 Mahbanoozadeh (5)
6.00 Wong (9)
6.00 Phan (13)
6.00 Steenberg (16)
6.00 Johnson (22)
5.75 Rippon (4)
5.75 Cassar (20)
4.75 Dornbush (7)
4.75 Mroz (10)
4.25 Bradley (6)
4.00 Razzano (11)
3.75 Weir (3)
3.75 Gonzales (14)
3.50 Solonoski (21)
3.00 Messing (12)
3.00 Pennington (15)
2.75 Carriere (17)
2.75 Campbell (19)
2.50 Rogers (18)
2.00 Raad (23)

judiz
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
As for noone showing up to last practice, is he referring to last practice at the Olympics? Would he have not shared that practice with Lysacek? Are the practice groups for the FS (last practice) not based upon the SP results?

At the Olympics (at least before the competition) you practice with your team so at the last practice before the Olympic SP, it would had been Johnny, Evan and Jeremy. According to Johnny, Evan and Jeremy chose not to do the last practice which was held late at night. Olympic rules state a doctor and one representative from the federation must be at the rink whenever a skater is on the ice. After seeing that no one from the USA was showing up, Galina was able to catch the doctor from the Russian team which had just finished practice and he agreed to stay while Johnny was on the ice. Johnny is upset that no one showed up and according to his book, he never asked why and no one on the federation ever told him why no one was at the last scheduled practice.

genevieve
01-12-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm not saying a 3.75 in PCS is justified, but why couldn't he see that maybe, just maybe, trying not to piss off the USFS officials would be a better way to go? :saint:

Or, if you are going to make pissing off the judges your "thing", you might be successful at it. Again - cutting off his nose to spite his face.

marbri
01-12-2011, 05:50 PM
For those with access to the Archives here, that 3.75 was Joe Inman's Transitions score and it was pointed out and discussed in this 2010 US Nationals thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70616

Thanks. I knew it would be the transition mark ;)

Suezq2568
01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I listened to some of it - yet again (does it ever stop?) about how he skated the best he ever did (perhaps) and didn't get a medal as the award for that because "it's all political." I understand that it's not controversial to say "I skated the best I ever skated but it wasn't medal-worthy against the competition that night" but jeez...it's gettin' old. He didn't earn a place on the podium fair and square. Could he have been 5th and not 6th? Definitely. How long is he going to beat this particular horse? And I have to wonder if, as a reasonably smart guy, he even believes this bs himself.

If you make it to the end of the interview (and many will find the discussion to graphic to make it that far), Johnny flat out says, he should have won the Olympics. This at about 49:47 in the interview. Johnny's song is played at the 42:00 minute mark.

figsrus
01-12-2011, 06:06 PM
lots more photos from the book party (http://www.universalsports.com/photos/galleryid=509577.html)

orientalplane
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
If you make it to the end of the interview (and many will find the discussion to graphic to make it that far).

I suspect that many will find it too tedious to make it that far.

Willowway
01-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Johnny flat out says, he should have won the Olympics.

In all honesty, I don't think he's either stupid or delusional. He's a pretty smart cookie and this is all said for effect. He has to know that folks who know anything about figure skating understand what utter bs this is; but folks who don't know anything about skating? They might believe that he's been cheated out of a medal and then he gets the pay-off he has always liked, the 'poor Johnny' victim thing. On an emotional level it's probably working for him right now and he gets to be a victim for a while longer before people stop wanting to hear it and expect him (as we expect everyone including ourselves) to grow up, stop whining like a baby and just get on with whatever one is supposed to be doing in life. No matter who you are, this level of emotional immaturity isn't tolerated or sale-able forever; there comes a point when the world expects you to be the adult that the calendar says you are and doesn't pay well for much else. It can come sooner or later but it's universal.

Civic
01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
...And I have to wonder if, as a reasonably smart guy, he even believes this bs himself.
Is he reasonably smart? I'm starting to have my doubts. I'll admit I used to think he was due to some of his wittier comments. However, what I mistook for wit may have been snark. His mindless worship of celebrity culture makes me suspect that Johnny isn't as intelligent as I once thought.

Yazmeen
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM
There are many things that I could say here, but in his second comment in his Amazon review of the book, poster "Jon" really put my thoughts into words better than I could:

QUOTE: "My own personal view on Johnny Weir, which in some ways this book confirmed, is that he is a talented skater who focuses too much on the drama side and not enough on the competitive and technical side. In short, with two or three competition exceptions, I think he generally received the medals he deserved. In no way do I mean to excuse anyone who tried to make things hard for him because of his sexual orientation (and I think it's great he's out of the closet), but I think even his fans have to admit that Johnny loves the celebrity side of skating. And it's my view that he doesn't have more medals because of that more than anything else."ENDQUOTE Amazon.com. Available at: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3H7HUE...wasThisHelpful

As a skater Johnny could be breathtaking. As a celebrity, he is a hot mess, and it is very disappointing to see what he has become and what he has convinced himself is true regarding his competitive disappointments. This is just plain sad, and so unnecessary. One wonders what he might have accomplished if skating had outweighed celebrity for him over the past 5 years.

nubka
01-12-2011, 06:30 PM
I love it when someone blames their own nosiness on everything else. Oh he practically begged me to try and do everything in my power to find that information out! Bless him, he must have known how important it is for me to know whom he slept with! Besides it's what we always do, ain't it, folks? :rolleyes:

Weir might have provided some information in his book about his partner, but that doesn't mean that you have to go way and beyond to find out who it was. Posting a list of names of people who you think fit the bits of info Weir included in his book to guess from? Beyond tacky.

If you do something as classless as that, learn how to use the "I" pronoun. It's not "him", "us" or "them". It's you.

:drama::drama::drama::drama::drama::drama:

Jenny
01-12-2011, 06:43 PM
"There was a lot in the book that I had to take out…because of people that would sue me and stuff like that,” he said. “If I have the opportunity to write a second book, there will be completely new stories that nobody’s heard yet. There’s lots of dirt that I wanted to tell that I wasn’t able to because I’m still too close to the skating world.”

I guess all he wants is attention and press - this kind of remark will get you that, but it won't do you any favours if you ever try to compete again, and won't get you jobs in skating shows and other professional opportunities. With each new quote and anecdote, it becomes more and more obvious why SOI didn't hire him, and it's nothing to do with his sexuality, or his flamboyance.