PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

luCN
01-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Regarding gift giving, it's the same thing in Japanese culture to refuse politely a couple of times before eventually relenting. In addition, gift giving in Japan follows a rather intricate set of unspoken rules. One of them is the need to usurp each other in terms of how expensive the gifts are. So if someone keeps mentioning how so and so gave him a Balenciaga bag, then the next person is going to interpret that as a message to give even more valuable gifts next time. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's the best I can explain it, I'm part Japanese/ Chinese/ Russian Jew, it's hard to keep track of customs sometimes.

If you concern about the Japan Pop culture,you will know the gift thing is very normal there……

Japanese fans always buy very very very expensive gifts for their idols.most of them you even can't imagine! :yikes::yikes::yikes:

so don't blame Johnny to accept them.Even an unfamous Japanese singer or actor can get something even more expensive :P

REO
01-12-2011, 04:19 AM
This is a really unnecessary comment. Numerous posters here have expressed an interest in reading the book, and I doubt you would find few demographic groups more interested in reading the book than those who participate in a figure skating discussion board.

And yet you must admit that many of the people panning the book are those who have said they will not read it until it is in the $1.00 bin and ARE relying on Frau Muller's excerpts. They already think the book is all name dropping and that Johnny saw nothing wrong with faking illness because, in an adolescent snit, he wanted to get back at those who dissed his costume. And of course sat there rubbing his little hands together in fiendish glee because he saw an opportunity to out the only person he ever loved romantically against his will. I personally can't believe it took Johnny 250 odd pages to write those three anecdotes. :lol:

REO
01-12-2011, 04:21 AM
We still won't have a full view; we will have the view Johnny chooses to show us.

But you would at least have a full view from Johnny's perspective. That's all you get from any writer. Especially an autobiographer.

REO
01-12-2011, 04:39 AM
calm down,REO,If a book or an interview can't change people's mind,then those posts won't do it too,don't take them too serious...

and as I can't get my one in a long time,I'm very appreciate Frau Muller's reports.(Thank you for doing this,Frau Muller!)If you think Frau Muller's posts weren't show the book best,please show some parts for us,then someone here can get a right attitude to it. :)

and,if anyone here went to the book signing?any reports?is it going well?

Thanks LuCN. You're surely right about that. I had nothing against Frau Muller posting reports. I think it was nice of her I just can't believe people thought those few words were all there was for over 200 pages!

I think Aunt Joyce's review linked by Roxanne was a good one.

REO
01-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Really?? Did the book ever say who shot J.R.????

:lol:

No but it said Johnny was on the grassy knoll. :D

Civic
01-12-2011, 04:57 AM
Johnny is starting to remind me of Christopher Bowman. Like Bowman he is an amazing talent who is a showman at heart. I suspect figure skating's chief attraction for him is the theatrical aspect. The athletic strategy part of it probably bores him to tears.

dr.frog
01-12-2011, 05:06 AM
How would faking illness to get out of a major competition look any better in context?

I think Weir's latest story about this is probably as fake as his original one. :rolleyes:

His web site seems to have been redesigned to remove the links to his old web journal, but the page from late 2002 where he gave his original version of what happened at 2002 Cup of Russia is actually still online.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/journalmain.php?p=02december.php

portia
01-12-2011, 05:20 AM
ETA: The most embarrassing one was the rob the other's wallet trick.

Yes, this trick, while lacking in advanced planning and certain immediate sense of decorum on the practitioner's part, is surprisingly successful if one's intent IS to actually pay the bill. Also the speed and manual dexterity required by the wallet grabber deserves a +2 GOE, particularly if the grabber manages to keep contents of said wallet intact and not on the restaurant floor.

The "hide the check" game is HILARIOUS though!

"Hide the Check" demands a level of cunning and pre-planning, Sun Tzu would've been proud of the internal strategizing involved in this operation. However as you know, this ploy is often derailed by the practitioner's inability to be sneaky, thus leading to the interception of the bill by her opponent. If performed to perfection, this step sequence has the potential to earn +3 GOE. But if the execution is tactically weak and subsequently thwarted by the interceptor, then it's -3 GOE for technique.

marbri
01-12-2011, 05:29 AM
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/334383

From the article:

Weir offers his take on his coaches, competitors, judges ("furry old women sitting there with grimaces on their faces"). He is less critical in his assessments of the celebrities who have embraced him. Yet his colorful language in rinkside interviews and his many appearances on TV, in a biopic and fashion magazines have both helped and hurt his athletic career, and he acknowledges this near the end.

"I was going to my second Olympics, not as a world-class competitor, but as a trained monkey to sell tickets. I was a token, and there's no worse feeling."

For those that have read the book what does he mean? What is the context? "Sell tickets" to what exactly?

judiz
01-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Johnny said he heard the only reason he was put on the Olympic team was because the network and usfs knew people would tune in to see what he was wearing and saying. If people didn't care, the federation would had found a way to put Ryan Bradley on the team. Johnny also said no one from the federation showed up for his last practice even though the rules say a team doctor has to be there as well as a representative from the federation.

taf2002
01-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Johnny said he heard the only reason he was put on the Olympic team was because the network and usfs knew people would tune in to see what he was wearing and saying. If people didn't care, the federation would had found a way to put Ryan Bradley on the team.

I think Johnny was overestimating his importance to the viewing public. The Olympics are a pretty big draw on their own.

judiz
01-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Supposingly this was what Galina heard after the competition.

luCN
01-12-2011, 05:46 AM
http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2011/01/11/weirs-whirlwind-includes-no-1-dirty-love/

Johnny Weir‘s debut single “Dirty Love” shot to No. 1 in Japan shortly after its worldwide release earlier today, according to Fireworks Sports Marketing

:D

and another very interesting....er,maybe someone will feel uncomfortable from
www.howardstern.com

Suezq2568
01-12-2011, 06:28 AM
http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2011/01/11/weirs-whirlwind-includes-no-1-dirty-love/

:D

and another very interesting....er,maybe someone will feel uncomfortable from
www.howardstern.com

I've been a 20+ year fan of Howard. Heard the whole interview. Howard got Johnny to talk about everything, and I do mean everything. He gave up so much private info about himself, including the length of his ...ahhh...manhood...If I posted all that was said, I would probably be banned from this site. It got pretty graphic......

maclou
01-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Johnny Weir‘s debut single “Dirty Love” shot to No. 1 in Japan shortly after its worldwide release earlier today, according to Fireworks Sports Marketing

I wondered which Japanese chart as there are several of them and someone said it was just the amazon dance chart and it's #2 on the general mp3 chart (behind Mata Kimi ni Koishiteru which came out 2 years ago). I honestly don't think that amazon's selection of mp3s is that great, Christmas songs are still charting :blah: But I don't know, maybe it got to #1 on itunes Japan too?