PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

overedge
01-12-2011, 12:50 AM
What a wonderful, if unintentional, way of proving my point. You pulled a sentence from my (brief) post entirely out of context. I don't know if anyone pulled anecdotes from the book out of context, in the same manner you did my sentence; if so, I doubt they could possibly have done as complete job of it as you did.

You questioned whether any posters here "are interested enough to read the book". I pointed out that many posters here had indeed expressed an interest in reading the book. (And it seems from the conversation that many posters here have read substantial excerpts of the book on the Today Show website or through the excerpts available to e-readers.) Please explain the context from your post that I missed in responding to your comment.

Marlowe
01-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Japanese fans would buy all sorts of presents to their favorite skaters. To all of them, not just Johnny. Skaters take pictures of their hotel rooms fuill of gifts, looks pretty impressive.

There is a strong custom of gift giving in Japan. If you've ever visited someone in Japan or had someone from Japan visit you... gifts, gifts, gifts. It's a beautiful custom.

Perhaps someone on FSU who knows more about it and can speak to this. I think some background on this custom might help with our understanding of the egg!

marbri
01-12-2011, 01:47 AM
We still won't have a full view; we will have the view Johnny chooses to show us.

This.

toepick
01-12-2011, 01:56 AM
I'm not an uberfan, but I do appreciate Johnny's skating so I bought the book and read it on my kindle. It's a quick read and most of it is about his skating career. I was glad for that because the prologue had me worried. It's not the best written book I've read nor is it all that deep or emotionally-stirring. However, it is interesting nonetheless to read about his career from his perspective.

judiz
01-12-2011, 01:58 AM
What I cannot understand (and someone please explain to me) is why did Galina feel the need to totally rework Johnny's jumps? He had beautiful jumps with Priscilla and Galina totally destroyed them.

mmscfdcsu
01-12-2011, 01:59 AM
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/334383

Carolla5501
01-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Well, I do see on advantage to this book. It's given us something to "chat" about while we wait on US Nationals, Candian Nationals and Europeans.....:)

purple skates
01-12-2011, 02:07 AM
What I cannot understand (and someone please explain to me) is why did Galina feel the need to totally rework Johnny's jumps? He had beautiful jumps with Priscilla and Galina totally destroyed them.

His skating went so downhill under her....and I think it was her fault. She tried to remake his skating into someone who wasn't him. Worst coaching change evah.

neptune
01-12-2011, 02:30 AM
What GOE would you give [Johnny's music single]?

I'm not familiar enough with the rules to say. :lol:

neptune
01-12-2011, 02:32 AM
I did get some answers to some questions such as what really happened at Dallas though.

Really?? Did the book ever say who shot J.R.????

:lol:

portia
01-12-2011, 02:55 AM
In our culture (I'm Chinese), it's rude to just accept a gift. You're supposed to say, "No, you shouldn't have! I can't take it, it's too nice!" and make like you can't accept it, but eventually you do. :lol: I think it'd be rude to refuse a gift if someone took the effort and cost to give it to you. But of course you'd thank them profusely and send them a thank you note and all that.

LOL, Chinese or Taiwanese culture is so funny at times, it's always a hoot to see my relatives pretend fight over who'll pay for restaurant bill, when it's clear they all know who should and would be paying at the end.

Regarding gift giving, it's the same thing in Japanese culture to refuse politely a couple of times before eventually relenting. In addition, gift giving in Japan follows a rather intricate set of unspoken rules. One of them is the need to usurp each other in terms of how expensive the gifts are. So if someone keeps mentioning how so and so gave him a Balenciaga bag, then the next person is going to interpret that as a message to give even more valuable gifts next time. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's the best I can explain it, I'm part Japanese/ Chinese/ Russian Jew, it's hard to keep track of customs sometimes.

mmscfdcsu
01-12-2011, 02:58 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/ent-22186814/johnny-weir-welcome-to-my-world-23815594.html

luCN
01-12-2011, 03:12 AM
calm down,REO,If a book or an interview can't change people's mind,then those posts won't do it too,don't take them too serious...

and as I can't get my one in a long time,I'm very appreciate Frau Muller's reports.(Thank you for doing this,Frau Muller!)If you think Frau Muller's posts weren't show the book best,please show some parts for us,then someone here can get a right attitude to it. :)

and,if anyone here went to the book signing?any reports?is it going well?

jlai
01-12-2011, 03:14 AM
it's always a hoot to see my relatives pretend fight over who'll pay for restaurant bill, when it's clear they all know who should and would be paying at the end.

Yes, I witnessed numerous embarrassing scenes like that...Now I don't fight who'll pay at all just to avoid the whole embarrassment of it.

ETA: The most embarrassing one was the rob the other's wallet trick.

Anita18
01-12-2011, 03:15 AM
LOL, Chinese or Taiwanese culture is so funny at times, it's always a hoot to see my relatives pretend fight over who'll pay for restaurant bill, when it's clear they all know who should and would be paying at the end.
The "hide the check" game is HILARIOUS though!

The most hilarious instance was when we were all having dinner together - my immediate family and my mom's sister and her husband/kids. My mom made like she was going to go to the bathroom, but snuck the check to pay for the bill at the front. When she was halfway there, her sister realized what was happening and immediately sent my cousin to run and get the check back, like it was SERIOUS BUSINESS. I didn't stop laughing for DAYS. :rofl: