PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

overedge
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Sounds like some posting on this thread are basing their opinions of Weir's behavior as described in his book strictly on the anecdotes posted by Frau Muller. Now, the anecdotes might be perfectly phrased and recounted entirely in context; then again, actually reading the book might lend a more complete view.

So why don't you provide some of this missing context, if that might be an issue.

Wyliefan
01-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Agreed, but the firing was in 2007, by which time he had been world junior champion and a three-time national champion, had gone to worlds at least three times, and won several GPF medals. If you're at that level but your mom still has to come in and deal with your coach for you (and that she agrees to do it)....I really don't know what to make of that.

I must be living in la-la land. I thought skating moms did stuff like that all the time.

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.kirkusreviews.com/blog/question-and-answer/johnny-weir-welcome-to-my-world/

nylynnr
01-11-2011, 10:51 PM
So why don't you provide some of this missing context, if that might be an issue.

I don't know if it is an issue, and I don't know if context is missing. I am suggesting that a full view, for those who are interested, can only be obtained through reading the book.

LuckyCharm
01-11-2011, 10:55 PM
http://www.kirkusreviews.com/blog/question-and-answer/johnny-weir-welcome-to-my-world/

The thing about Richard Gere is kinda sweet.:)

The fact that he considers Carrie Bradshaw a role model actually explains a lot.:scream:

REO
01-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Sounds like some posting on this thread are basing their opinions of Weir's behavior as described in his book strictly on the anecdotes posted by Frau Muller. Now, the anecdotes might be perfectly phrased and recounted entirely in context; then again, actually reading the book might lend a more complete view.

Bless you for trying but nobody seems to get it.

Wyliefan
01-11-2011, 11:06 PM
How would faking illness to get out of a major competition look any better in context?

Roxanne
01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogspot.com/2011/01/welcome-to-my-world-review.html

nylynnr
01-11-2011, 11:26 PM
How would faking illness to get out of a major competition look any better in context?

It wouldn't; context isn't about looking "better," it's about delivering a complete view. I have not read the book yet, so I don't know whether Johnny later, perhaps, regretted his actions or -- again perhaps -- reflected upon them and learned something, or -- perhaps --thought it was a good joke. And I don't know if any of the posters here are interested enough to read the book, or if reading Frau Muller is enough for them. For those who are interested, I'm urging them to defer judgment and read the book.

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Maybe when it hits the $1.00 bin.

overedge
01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
And I don't know if any of the posters here are interested enough to read the book, or if reading Frau Muller is enough for them.

This is a really unnecessary comment. Numerous posters here have expressed an interest in reading the book, and I doubt you would find few demographic groups more interested in reading the book than those who participate in a figure skating discussion board.

nylynnr
01-12-2011, 12:03 AM
This is a really unnecessary comment. Numerous posters here have expressed an interest in reading the book, and I doubt you would find few demographic groups more interested in reading the book than those who participate in a figure skating discussion board.

What a wonderful, if unintentional, way of proving my point. You pulled a sentence from my (brief) post entirely out of context. I don't know if anyone pulled anecdotes from the book out of context, in the same manner you did my sentence; if so, I doubt they could possibly have done as complete job of it as you did.

jamesy
01-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Maybe when it hits the $1.00 bin.
you should tweet about it and see if someone will pick up on the hint and buy it for you :saint:

RockTheTassel
01-12-2011, 12:32 AM
http://auntjoycesicecreamstand.blogspot.com/2011/01/welcome-to-my-world-review.html

That was more favorable than I expected. I was really unimpressed by the prologue since it basically summed up everything I don't like about Johnny. But AJ's review makes Welcome to My World sound more intriguing and worth reading. And while AJ's blog isn't everyone's cup of tea, you can always rely on him to call Johnny out on his crap. I might actually read the book now.

Prancer
01-12-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't know if it is an issue, and I don't know if context is missing. I am suggesting that a full view, for those who are interested, can only be obtained through reading the book.

We still won't have a full view; we will have the view Johnny chooses to show us.