PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Snowgirl
01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
Then how can for example Lambiel put on completely blank black pants and a simple shirt and still skate breathtakingly beautiful and artistic exhibitions? Artistry does not require over-the-topness. A story does not come alive by his costume: it lives in his movements, in his emotions and how they come across to the audience.

Johnny used blank black top and pants for one of his EX programs. It was in the idea of the program. But there are other programs with completely different idea. Same for Stephane. Would he listen to anyone who'd tell him to replace his zebra costume? I guess no.

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 09:53 PM
.... So if we know he lied about CoR, that he admits he lied about CoR, did he also lie about NHK???

I don't recall the exact wording -- I don't have the book next to me -- but he mentioned something about having to cancel the next event. I believe that the USFS pulled him out and substituted another American guy who had competed in an earlier GP event and who could benefit from another chance to rack-up points to get into the GP Final. My memory is a bit foggy but wasn't Goebel a last-minute sub for Weir in the NHK Trophy that year? (Edited to add: Not Goebel - Benjamin Miller was the lone American at 2002 NHK, a week after the COR from which Johnny withdrew. So Johnny was pulled for one Benjamin Miller???)

marbri
01-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Are you sure you don't mix events? Johnny withdrew from 2003 Nats in Dallas. Was there even question about World team then? He was hampered by illness in 2009, got 5th and off the Worlds team, and there was drama about that.

I'm often confused.:D Will get back to you when I take a little google tour and see if I can find what I think I'm remembering.

judiz
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
After Johnny withdrew from CoR due to his fake illness, the federation informed him that he would not be skating in his other grand prix event that season. The "official" story posted by the federation and Johnny was a bad flu that knocked him out of both competitions but now we know the truth, Johnny got caught lying and the federation punished him.

judiz
01-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Something else that surprised me is how little Evan is mentioned in Johnny's book. Nothing about the rivalry which Johnny said on one of today's interviews was created by the federation and then fed by Johnny and Evan.
(Johnny did say he now regrets some of the things he said about Evan).

One thing that did have me LOL was when Johnny wrote that when he saw Evan in his sparkly penguin outfit, he knew that TAT was messing with Evan.

genevieve
01-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Also, there's a part about firing Priscilla and how his mom did it for him (he was sitting next to her) because, as he quotes his mother, "I hired her, so I'll fire her."
wow. just..........WOW.

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Nationals in 2003 was the famous event in which Johnny was poised to make the Worlds team but, instead, skated backwards into the boards. Oh - and Johnny writes in his bio that he acted like he was hurt to get off the ice - but he decided to skate then really got injured with a jump.

As Johnny writes and I recall, before the 2002 Cup of Russia shenanigans, he was indeed being groomed to make the '03 Worlds team. He had made the final flight of 6 skaters in his first senior Nationals the previous year, thus earning himself two berths in the G-P circuit. (He was the World Jr Champ the year before.) The troubles came after COR and the costume brou-ha-ha. Goebel and Weiss were expected to make the 2003 Worlds team and Johnny was one of the big faves to take 3rd spot -- along with Savoie, who ended 5th. Johnny was in 2nd place after the SP - amazing! In the end, Johnny banged into the boards and withdrew, while Ryan Jahnke had the skate of his life and went to Worlds. Johnny then had to qualify for his next Nationals by doing Sectionals.

judiz
01-11-2011, 10:17 PM
wow. just..........WOW.

Johnny did say that if he had to do the firing, he wouldn't be able to get the words out because he was scared and crying just thinking about it. Even though their work relationship had deteriorated, I think Johnny really loved Priscilla.

museksk8r
01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by reese
Also, there's a part about firing Priscilla and how his mom did it for him (he was sitting next to her) because, as he quotes his mother, "I hired her, so I'll fire her."

:yikes: That's harsh! That's one of the biggest mistakes they made too. Without question, Johnny was his best under Priscilla Hill.

manleywoman
01-11-2011, 10:29 PM
After Johnny withdrew from CoR due to his fake illness, the federation informed him that he would not be skating in his other grand prix event that season. The "official" story posted by the federation and Johnny was a bad flu that knocked him out of both competitions but now we know the truth, Johnny got caught lying and the federation punished him.

In other words, the Federation covered his ass? Then IMO he should have owed them for that one. They had a right to punish him IMO.

Sounds like he spent a lot of his amateur days bring petulant.

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Sounds like he spent a lot of his amateur days bring petulant.

I really don't believe in corporal punnishment but...it sounds like somebody should have spanked his ass and gotten him into therapy. :shuffle:

manleywoman
01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Without question, Johnny was his best under Priscilla Hill.

I agree, but I'll Also agree that he needed a coaching change. They were too much friends rather than coach and skater. I just personally think Galina was z terrible choice as coach.

overedge
01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Johnny did say that if he had to do the firing, he wouldn't be able to get the words out because he was scared and crying just thinking about it. Even though their work relationship had deteriorated, I think Johnny really loved Priscilla.

Agreed, but the firing was in 2007, by which time he had been world junior champion and a three-time national champion, had gone to worlds at least three times, and won several GPF medals. If you're at that level but your mom still has to come in and deal with your coach for you (and that she agrees to do it)....I really don't know what to make of that.

ETA: And although I know that what's in a documentary film isn't the whole story, in his documentary, the scenes of him giggling with Paris in the dressing room while avoiding Hill's attempts to arrange a serious talk about his training didn't exactly give a positive impression of how he was managing his relationship with her.

nylynnr
01-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Sounds like some posting on this thread are basing their opinions of Weir's behavior as described in his book strictly on the anecdotes posted by Frau Muller. Now, the anecdotes might be perfectly phrased and recounted entirely in context; then again, actually reading the book might lend a more complete view.

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Sounds like some posting on this thread are basing their opinions of Weir's behavior as described in his book strictly on the anecdotes posted by Frau Muller. Now, the anecdotes might be perfectly phrased and recounted entirely in context; then again, actually reading the book might lend a more complete view.

I am extremely careful in how I phrase these gems. And it's not just me. Others have provided anecdotes. Of course, there are so many wonderful stories, one really has to buy the book (or read it at Borders, like someone posted above).