PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 07:57 PM
.....If you think those are "bombs" then you aren't very familiar with how USFS operates.

Maybe in the Ritter Shumway days but I had assumed that they'd progressed a bit in the new millennium.

DickButtonFan
01-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Mirai has stated that she hopes she gets expensive gifts at the olympics like Evan has. She said he once got a Cartier watch.
Many of the skaters get these kinds of gifts. I'm sure some of the skaters can't deny the gifts as some cultures find that to be rude.

Anita18
01-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Johnny is all about Johnny and part of his whole persona has always been the I'm-so-victimized card. Whether it's USFS or anyone else, the bottom line is that, according to Johnny, no one understands him or respects him.

People work for years-- decades, sometimes-- on real memoirs. This is clearly not a heartfelt, thougtfully-conceived memoir, just another product to be pushed out and milked for more media attention in conjunction with his ridiculous single and whatever other crossover success he's looking for. I seriously doubt he wrote it without some very heavy editing/ghostwriting. Between all his traveling and fame-whoring and star-fu*king these past 10 months, I have no idea when he would have had time to spend more than a few hours on this book here or there.

The Cup of Russia thing is just obnoxious beyond belief.
Right. I think some people just have defensive and/or paranoid personalities, where everyone's out to get them. Growing up takes care of most of that, but it's hard to say whether he's learned from it.

PML at Nats last year we sat by a woman who does Johnny's website (or something - she does genuinely know him, he skated directly over to her during the victory lap and gave her his flowers). She invited us to go to a party where he would be after the men's comeptition, saying we could get in because we were with her. She then mentioned that it would cost us only (I can't remember how much - $25? $50?) for entry. Er.....non.
:blah:

overedge
01-11-2011, 08:06 PM
I would never even consider giving an expensive gift to someone I did not know personally. I met Johnny four times and each time I tried to give him a gift I thought he could use, a Starbucks gift card, a calendar, a coffee mug and last year a gift card to Whole Foods.

Seriously, good for you. I am sure most skaters would appreciate those sorts of gifts more than yet another stuffed animal.

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Mirai has stated that she hopes she gets expensive gifts at the olympics like Evan has. She said he once got a Cartier watch.
Many of the skaters get these kinds of gifts. I'm sure some of the skaters can't deny the gifts as some cultures find that to be rude.

Yes, but it is not good manners to accept large gifts from strangers. Perhaps the guys are preparing for future career of gigalo? It is plain good breeding. The same way every parent makes a kid give an expensive gift back to the boyfriend/girlfriend, because to accept it would show lack of class.

judiz
01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
PML at Nats last year we sat by a woman who does Johnny's website (or something - she does genuinely know him, he skated directly over to her during the victory lap and gave her his flowers). She invited us to go to a party where he would be after the men's comeptition, saying we could get in because we were with her. She then mentioned that it would cost us only (I can't remember how much - $25? $50?) for entry. Er.....non.

That was a party organized by Johnny's fans, everyone who attended was asked to chip in to help pay for the food and the rental of the room where the party was held. Johnny's webmaster should had been more clear why it costed money and perhaps offered to treat you.

millyskate
01-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Yes, but it is not good manners to accept large gifts from strangers. .
That depends on the culture.
To some, refusing a gift is the worst offence.

Willowway
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
All the genuine Faberge eggs are catalogued as there are a very limited number of them in the world. I don't think Johnny is on the list as an owner (nor is some random Japanese buyer) - the owners are known and most are in recognized collections. If he really has the real thing I would be surprised. That said, if he does have a genuine egg that Faberge made for the Romanovs then he will have something valuable to sell when all of this 'what's the point of this?" self-promotion leaves him with nothing to do in his 30s and 40s. He may need it then.

danceronice
01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I would never even consider giving an expensive gift to someone I did not know personally. I met Johnny four times and each time I tried to give him a gift I thought he could use, a Starbucks gift card, a calendar, a coffee mug and last year a gift card to Whole Foods.

...I don't give gifts to people I don't know personally, unless you count chartiable donations to small-scale operations. Not Fabrege eggs, not Starbucks cards.

ETA: Take that back, I gave John Kovalic (who draws Dork Tower, among others) a Christmas bulb with one of his characters on it. Okay, he's a friend of a friend and it was networking as well, but I don't know him to hang out with or anything.

And IIRC, in the old days, accepting a gift like that put your eligibility at risk. I seem to recall Barbara Ann Scott having to give a car back (it was a gift from her town or some such for winning Worlds, iirc) because she would have lost her eligibility for taking a payment.

Sylvia
01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Weir, who is not skating competitively this season, sat down with ESPN.com's Bonnie D. Ford on Monday to talk about his book and his future in the sport. The following are excerpts from that conversation.
Includes video: Q&A with figure skater Johnny Weir (http://espn.go.com/olympics/blog/_/name/olympics/id/6012061/qa-figure-skater-johnny-weir)

genevieve
01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes, but it is not good manners to accept large gifts from strangers. Perhaps the guys are preparing for future career of gigalo? It is plain good breeding. The same way every parent makes a kid give an expensive gift back to the boyfriend/girlfriend, because to accept it would show lack of class.
bit over the top there, innit? Plus - not true. Not every parent makes their child return a $$ spendy gift from their boy/girlfriend. Do teenagers really share that kind of imfo with their parents anyway? I don't think I ever told my mom about presents received from boyfriends in HS :lol:

agree with millyskate that in some cultures that refusing a gift is cause for huge offense.

That was a party organized by Johnny's fans, everyone who attended was asked to chip in to help pay for the food and the rental of the room where the party was held. Johnny's webmaster should had been more clear why it costed money and perhaps offered to treat you.

The JA person was very sweet, and I don't think she should have offered to treat us. Clearly, to her, it was a very small price to pay (literally!) to get to have a party with JWe. She may have even explained the need for the cost - we just thought that it came across as a paid appearance, like when clubs pay celebrities to show up at their opening to draw a crowd. Which I'm guessing Johnny would love :lol: And even though we were Johnny fans, we didn;t think it was our kind of gig.

OTOH, we TOTALLY would have bought Ryan Bradley dinner and drinks all night to hang out with him :lol:

rfisher
01-11-2011, 08:48 PM
OTOH, we TOTALLY would have bought Ryan Bradley dinner and drinks all night to hang out with him :lol:

and there you have it. I wouldn't pay to see JWe skate, but I'd totally pay to see V/T and would happily treat them to dinner and drinks in the bar. :lol: Or MK. It's all in who they are.

And, sorry to those who hope the book will be a big success, but my local Borders had only a couple of copies and they weren't on display. I had to ask and they had to look it up to see if they had it. The publisher didn't pay extra for display. It's not going to make much money. I hope the publisher gets their money back or they'll recall the books and burn them. JWe can buy them at a discount and sell them himself at events. Wait and you'll be able to buy cheap.

Anita18
01-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Um, my parents said nothing when I told them my bf gave me a laptop for Christmas. (Well, I DID offer to pay for it multiple times since it was supposed to be his but he was too lazy to transfer files from his old computer and he let me use it. But he hadn't thought of a separate Christmas present to give me so he thought he'd kill two birds with one stone. :lol: )

In our culture (I'm Chinese), it's rude to just accept a gift. You're supposed to say, "No, you shouldn't have! I can't take it, it's too nice!" and make like you can't accept it, but eventually you do. :lol: I think it'd be rude to refuse a gift if someone took the effort and cost to give it to you. But of course you'd thank them profusely and send them a thank you note and all that.

Anita18
01-11-2011, 08:53 PM
And, sorry to those who hope the book will be a big success, but my local Borders had only a couple of copies and they weren't on display. I had to ask and they had to look it up to see if they had it. The publisher didn't pay extra for display. It's not going to make much money. I hope the publisher gets their money back or they'll recall the books and burn them. JWe can buy them at a discount and sell them himself at events. Wait and you'll be able to buy cheap.
The publishers have to pay to get their books on a shelf at Borders? :lol: You learn something new every day!

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Um, my parents said nothing when I told them my bf gave me a laptop for Christmas. (Well, I DID offer to pay for it multiple times since it was supposed to be his but he was too lazy to transfer files from his old computer and he let me use it. But he hadn't thought of a separate Christmas present to give me so he thought he'd kill two birds with one stone. :lol: )

Wow! Different generations for sure. In my time a girl was considered a gold digger if she accepted an expensive gift from someone she was not engaged to. You could never accept a gift of clothing either. Boundary issues. THe lockerrooms were full of adolescent angst at Christmas time with girls wailing about having to give back the necklace or whatever. :lol: