PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 06:24 PM
.... The vast amount of sympathy and prayers and time his fans spent defending his career, injuries and illnesses to find out it was all over a bit of lycra and sequins is something I might suggest my friend gloss over or avoid in his tell-all.:eek:

This reminds me of another amazing revelation in the book. Johnny wrote that one of his greatest Japanese fans took him aside as he walked out of Customs at Narita (Tokyo) Airport. She surprised him with a beautifully-wrapped box...containing a Faberge egg that this fan had purchased in Russia for him. The lady had actually FLOWN to Moscow, attended an auction of precious Faberge items, and bought it for Johnny, just because Johnny had mentioned in an interview or on his website that he admired Faberge eggs. (Maybe next time he can mention that he loves Renoir?)

Johnny dedicates this book, in part, to his devoted fans, especially in Japan and Russia ("Johnny's Angels").

p.s. Between this story and the oft-time mentioning that his true love "Alex" came from a wealthy family -- he reminds us of that fact at least thrice -- I'd say that JW is a bit of a golddigger. Maybe his next routine should be to 'Diamonds Are a Girl's/Boy's Best Friend' -- with pink-satin Marilyn outfit and all? (Lordie, he's capable of doing it!)

genevieve
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
PML at Nats last year we sat by a woman who does Johnny's website (or something - she does genuinely know him, he skated directly over to her during the victory lap and gave her his flowers). She invited us to go to a party where he would be after the men's comeptition, saying we could get in because we were with her. She then mentioned that it would cost us only (I can't remember how much - $25? $50?) for entry. Er.....non.

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 06:38 PM
This reminds me of another amazing revelation in the book. Johnny wrote that one of his greatest Japanese fans took him aside as he walked out of Customs at Narita (Tokyo) Airport. She surprised him with a beautifully-wrapped box...containing a Faberge egg that this fan had purchased in Russia for him. The lady had actually FLOWN to Moscow, attended an auction of precious Faberge items, and bought it for Johnny, just because Johnny had mentioned in an interview or on his website that he admired Faberge eggs. (Maybe next time he can mention that he loves Renoir?)

So sad. I remember a time when most of the skaters refused to accept expensive gifts from fans because it was so inappropriate. And he has certainly begged for items he wants by posting that he likes them on his Twitter. Kind of a wink, wink get it for me dummy.

portia
01-11-2011, 07:08 PM
So sad. I remember a time when most of the skaters refused to accept expensive gifts from fans because it was so inappropriate. And he has certainly begged for items he wants by posting that he likes them on his Twitter. Kind of a wink, wink get it for me dummy.

Wow, just wow. I did not know that, since I don't go on his forums or twitter etc... That is just so tacky if it's true. Maybe he derives some short-lived happiness from materialism/ mindless consumption? I'd like to know what type of Japanese fans would buy all these things for him...there's an ongoing recession in Japan that's worse than what we have here.

Snowgirl
01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Japanese fans would buy all sorts of presents to their favorite skaters. To all of them, not just Johnny. Skaters take pictures of their hotel rooms fuill of gifts, looks pretty impressive.

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
The funny thing -- that cover photo! I'm used to Johnny's cross-dress/high-heeled pictures but my husband didn't know what to think when he saw that on my coffee table. ("Honey, you'd better hide that before the Priest comes for Orthodox Xmas meal.")

Another funny photo: Johnny at age 2 or 3 in his favorite Halloween costume, as a miniature version of Big Bird, complete with yellow feathers. Page one of the pics.

igniculus
01-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I've always been sad for these fans. Someone really lost connection to reality. One's love and support for a skster should not be measured by how expensive gifts you give to this person. Not to mention that most of such gifts are not even heartfelt. :(

That hissy fit about the costume makes me wanna barf. It's just A COSTUME! This had been always one of my greatest problems with Johnny. What he wears or has worn was always more important for him than the actual act he performed wearing them.

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 07:35 PM
The funny thing -- that cover photo! I'm used to Johnny's cross-dress/high-heeled pictures but my husband didn't know what to think when he saw that on my coffee table. ("Honey, you'd better hide that before the Priest comes for Orthodox Xmas meal.")

Another funny photo: Johnny at age 2 or 3 in his favorite Halloween costume, as a miniature version of Big Bird, complete with yeallow feathers. Page one of the pics.

You are old enough to have a husband? :wideeyes: :wideeyes: :wideeyes:

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I've always been sad for these fans. Someone really lost connection to reality. One's love and support for a skster should not be measured by how expensive gifts you give to this person. Not to mention that most of such gifts are not even heartfelt. :(

Yes, in the old days, the classier skaters would not accept those gifts.

judiz
01-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Agreed. Including that much information shows a real lack of empathy on Weir's part -- he didn't like the pressure to come out as gay, and now he's effectively trying to out a former partner? :(

I happen to know who "Alex" is in real life and believe me, Johnny did not give away all the info necesary to identify him.

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Sorry, another one. (Y'all are inspiring me to remember episodes of the book, which is chock-full of these.)

During another competition in Japan (an NHK or GPF), word got out that Johnny had arrived without his luggage. The local chapter of Johnny's Angels swung into action and bought him all of the toiletries, PJs, Hello Kitty dolls, etc. that he would need.

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
You are old enough to have a husband? :wideeyes: :wideeyes: :wideeyes:

Two, in fact...ah, but the current one is a GEM! The Russian Gent. ;)

overedge
01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry, another one. (Y'all are inspiring me to remember episodes of the book, which is chock-full of these.)

During another competition in Japan (an NHK or GPF), word got out that Johnny had arrived without his luggage. The local chapter of Johnny's Angels swung into action and bought him all of the toiletries, PJs, Hello Kitty dolls, etc. that he would need.

Well, that was very generous and thoughtful of them, but I'm not sure a Hello Kitty doll is something that people "need" when their luggage is lost. (Not criticizing you for telling the story, just making an observation on what the fans thought Johnny's priorities were.)

judiz
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I would never even consider giving an expensive gift to someone I did not know personally. I met Johnny four times and each time I tried to give him a gift I thought he could use, a Starbucks gift card, a calendar, a coffee mug and last year a gift card to Whole Foods.

MacMadame
01-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I guess one can't be objective or fair if one has issues with him for whatever reason.
I suppose you think it's completely possible for those who love him so madly that he can do no wrong in their eyes to be completely fair and objective. :P

Johnny promised some "bombs" in his book and he certainly delivered. The bit about Michael Weiss is nothing, IMO, to what he writes about the controlling attempts by USFSA.
If you think those are "bombs" then you aren't very familiar with how USFS operates.