PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

IceIceBaby
01-11-2011, 05:13 PM
I received the book in the mail yesterday and read it in one sitting, it is so fascinating and juicy. Bravo, Johnny!!!

So how much the book is about skating and how much there is just general celebrity namedropping etc? First I was really interested to buy this book but if there isn't much about the skating life, then it might be a waste of money for me.:(

barbk
01-11-2011, 05:23 PM
The feeble attempts to out Johnny's exlover are disgusting. This is a person's life that is being bandied about for your amusement. If the gentleman involved wants to make himself known, he will. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Including that much information shows a real lack of empathy on Weir's part -- he didn't like the pressure to come out as gay, and now he's effectively trying to out a former partner? :(

Snowgirl
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
How do you know that Johnny didn't ask his ex-partner about this story in the book?

calica
01-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Agreed. Including that much information shows a real lack of empathy on Weir's part -- he didn't like the pressure to come out as gay, and now he's effectively trying to out a former partner? :(

Agreed with you

Donīt to say the name and to give all the evidence to discover him is only disgusting and disrespectful.

How do you know that Johnny didn't ask his ex-partner about this story in the book?
I suppose it because he does not say his name, if he had asked him and his ex-partner had wanted to appear in the book,it had not been necessary to do innuendoes about him.

genevieve
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
He deliberately missed a competition to stick it to the USFSA over a costume??

I may not be a fan, but at least I used to think his skating actually meant something to him. Now I wonder. . . .
Yeah -- all the name dropping and acting like he should get an award for coming out because his life has been so haaaaarrrrrrrrrrrd having to pretend he was straight is one thing - but talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face :eek:

Johnny has more natural talent than just about any of his generation of skaters - but that don't mean shit if he was willing to be derailed by something so trivial.

portia
01-11-2011, 05:43 PM
here is an excerpt of the book: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40967867/ns/today-books/

Sorry, but JW comes across as a shallow, starstruck, starf***er, based upon this and what I've been able to read online. It only reinforces why I sometimes can't stand what we've glimpsed of his real, off-ice personality so far. I don't doubt he's a nice person and all, but one can be nice yet be an insufferable narcissist at times.

If JW thinks that being introduced to Anna Wintour and other fashion industry biggies or even hanger-ons is indicative of how marketable or popular he is within that circle, then he's in for a rude awakening. Speaking from past experience, fashion industry people are only interested in you if you're considered hot/ trendy to suit their own purpose. They'll cast you out when you no longer serve their self-interests, that's the nature of the biz and it's nothing personal.

I think JW has a lot to learn about not just the fashion industry but also life in general. No Johnny, you don't have to be "brutal" to get ahead in career or life. If he's looking at Wintour as inspiration or role model, then I feel very sad for him indeed. When I was part of that world, albeit on the periphery as a mere teenage student, the horror stories I'd hear about Wintour was enough for me to not want to be part of that world. I've since found happiness in an entirely different profession. Anyways, Wintour got to her position due to the right connections, screwing over her so-called friends, and cultivating her image as a steely megabitch. There's nothing about this woman that I respect or would wish to emulate. So no Johnny you're wrong on this one.

Willowway
It's dirty pool to out someone else. Each person gets his or her own timing and circumstance in the best case. Nasty.

Nasty also to take a place at CoR and then not compete because of a costume disagreement (as a friend of mine said, "ask Ben Agosto" - costumes get changed sometimes)? Gimme a break. How many competitions did Johnny not do for invalid reasons? How much money wasted? How many opportunities for other skaters who would have given it 100%?

This guy may think he's something special right now but he's just sliding farther into the slime.

mmscfdcsu
Yeah -- all the name dropping and acting like he should get an award for coming out because his life has been so haaaaarrrrrrrrrrrd having to pretend he was straight is one thing - but talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face :eek:

Johnny has more natural talent than just about any of his generation of skaters - but that don't mean shit if he was willing to be derailed by something so trivial.

And when he pulls that crap it makes me think about all the skaters who would have loved to have the chance to be there and compete, no matter what they had to wear. :(

Snowgirl
01-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Agreed with you
I suppose it because he does not say his name, if he had asked him and his ex-partner had wanted to appear in the book,it had not been necessary to do innuendoes about him.

Johnny was mentioning people that wanted pseudonyms in his books. His ex-boyfriend might have been one of them.
Anyway, whom did he out? Give me name of this poor outed person.

reese
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Johnny is all about Johnny and part of his whole persona has always been the I'm-so-victimized card. Whether it's USFS or anyone else, the bottom line is that, according to Johnny, no one understands him or respects him.

People work for years-- decades, sometimes-- on real memoirs. This is clearly not a heartfelt, thougtfully-conceived memoir, just another product to be pushed out and milked for more media attention in conjunction with his ridiculous single and whatever other crossover success he's looking for. I seriously doubt he wrote it without some very heavy editing/ghostwriting. Between all his traveling and fame-whoring and star-fu*king these past 10 months, I have no idea when he would have had time to spend more than a few hours on this book here or there.

The Cup of Russia thing is just obnoxious beyond belief.

snoopysnake
01-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Just listened to it. Well, I suppose we can all be grateful that it's just a single and not a double. ;)

Now that I've .....and listened to his music, I sure hope he doesn't quit his day job. :D

I'd rather hear Evgeni sing the Chupa Chups jungle.

barbk
01-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Johnny is all about Johnny and part of his whole persona has always been the I'm-so-victimized card. Whether it's USFS or anyone else, the bottom line is that, according to Johnny, no one understands him or respects him.

<snip>

The Cup of Russia thing is just obnoxious beyond belief.

I'd call it disgusting and petulant -- and then he spent years lying about it. I hope he grows up one of these days, but I'm not holding my breath.

marbri
01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
It's dirty pool to out someone else. Each person gets his or her own timing and circumstance in the best case. Nasty.

Nasty also to take a place at CoR and then not compete because of a costume disagreement (as a friend of mine said, "ask Ben Agosto" - costumes get changed sometimes)? Gimme a break. How many competitions did Johnny not do for invalid reasons? How much money wasted? How many opportunities for other skaters who would have given it 100%?
This guy may think he's something special right now but he's just sliding farther into the slime.

This is what has always bothered me about Weir. I think he cried wolf many a time, not just at this CoR.

And apparently articles say he also missed NHK that season from the same illness that took him out of CoR? It's even on his website.

I'm not going to pretend I respect him as an athlete, I don't. And I suspect his biggest difficulties with USFSA stemmed not from his perceived sexual orientation but rather that TPTB in most skating federations KNOW what is going on with skaters, KNOW BS when they hear it and I would be more inclined to believe they debated amongst themselves the issue of JWe from the POV of them investing time sending out a skater with his attitude and immaturity over a warhorse like, for example, Weiss. And while I was not a fan of the type of skater Weiss was I will give the athlete his due and say he went out there and did all you could ask of him. He wasn't likely to throw a tantrum and withdraw over a costume suggestion. If I'm on the board of a skating federation and I debate between sending JWe or Weiss to Worlds ( in a particularly bad season for Weir where we suspect he didn't have the flu but rather had a hissy fit) I might tip towards Weiss as well. I'd play the odds that Weiss will gain a better standing for the US over JWe.

While no fan of Weir I am a bit STUNNED that people close to him think some of what is in this book was a good idea. The vast amount of sympathy and prayers and time his fans spent defending his career, injuries and illnesses to find out it was all over a bit of lycra and sequins is something I might suggest my friend gloss over or avoid in his tell-all.:eek:

overedge
01-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I just think alot of the people on this site based their opinions of the book on their dislike of the author and really had no idea what information the book contained except for a few quoted lines which pointed up the very things alot of these people think is so wrong about Johnny. I guess one can't be objective or fair if one has issues with him for whatever reason.

GMAFB. A "few" quoted lines? The excerpt from the book that was posted on the Today show site was more than two screens long. And before you start screaming about that being a selective excerpt chosen to make Johnny look bad, it's always the writer's publicist/publisher or the writer themselves choosing what excerpts from the book get used for publicity. So these are the parts of the book that people very closely connected with it think are representative of the book and show the most interesting parts of it. Yes, it really is a good indication of "what information the book contained".

It's not a crime to be uninformed about the fashion or entertainment industries but then by making judgements through your ignorance you make your point invalid.

GMAFB X 2. No one here is saying "I don't know who these people are so the book sucks". Obviously someone involved with the book thought that readers - not just people at FSU - might not recognize all the names, so they added the descriptions. So it's not just readers of FSU that are so out of touch and must live in a cave :rolleyes:

And incidentally, you listed two names in your post (Sarah Jessica Parker and Elton John) who are among the few names in the excerpt who don't have descriptions attached, and who weren't included in the list of alleged celebrities taken from the excerpt. Talk about making judgements based on selective reading....

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Johnny promised some "bombs" in his book and he certainly delivered. The bit about Michael Weiss is nothing, IMO, to what he writes about the controlling attempts by USFSA. After reading the book last night -- and it is indeed 65-75% about skating -- I was surprised that the early comments in this thread were centered on his opinion of Weiss.

Yes, the book is mainly (65-75%) about skating. I sorta skipped though the name-dropping and party-going parts, until the skating portions resumed.

Beside the story about the Cup of Russia costume brou-ha-ha, my favorite story is another episode in Russia -- when JW was tipsy after a win (another Cup of Russia?) and challenged Evan Lysacek to a handstands contest...during which JW hurt himself so badly that he truly injured an ankle or foot...pain that continued through Moscow Worlds, months later. So Johnny himself admits that he sometimes was a Jack-Ass.