PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

REO
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
It's sorta like tasting a couple of bites of a dish that you realize SUCKS, and deciding not to eat the rest. You can't MAKE people like Johnny or his book if they don't. And it's certainly not a crime to not know who someone is if you don't follow fashion or entertainment...you are certainly entitled to like/lurve/admire Johnny, but hey, we all don't have to...and I don't.

I may buy the book, just for some giggles, though.

Very true. And perhaps the book does suck. I haven't read it. I will. I just think alot of the people on this site based their opinions of the book on their dislike of the author and really had no idea what information the book contained except for a few quoted lines which pointed up the very things alot of these people think is so wrong about Johnny. I guess one can't be objective or fair if one has issues with him for whatever reason.

It's not a crime to be uninformed about the fashion or entertainment industries but then by making judgements through your ignorance you make your point invalid.

mabri, you are so right. I never sit front row. It kills by the end of the picture.

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I received the book in the mail yesterday and read it in one sitting, it is so fascinating and juicy. Bravo, Johnny!!!

OK, now we know enough about this "Alex" fellow -- big & tall with clear eyes, from a wealthy New England family, pair skater who competed at Summer '03 Liberty Skate and Fall '03 Eastern Sectionals in Lake Placid -- that we can surely identify him by now! Any guesses? (Just kidding - don't.) Only 3 sr pairs competed in that event; 2 others withdrew.

(snip)

Finally - Johnny takes so many swipes at the USFSA for trying to 'control' him (starting with their complaints to him in Fall '03 about his 'Cirque du Soleil' SP costume...which caused Johnny to fake illness at Cup of Russia to not have to skate in another costume of their choice), that I wonder just how Johnny can or will be able to show up in next week's Greensboro Nationals Exhibition to claim his trophy. Is he going to "be sick" again? Hope not! I can't wait to cheer him in Greensboro!!!

Carolla5501
01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Just lost a lot more respect for Johnny. He fussed about people trying to "out" him and look what he did???

Wyliefan
01-11-2011, 03:14 PM
He deliberately missed a competition to stick it to the USFSA over a costume??

I may not be a fan, but at least I used to think his skating actually meant something to him. Now I wonder. . . .

Roxanne
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
delete

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
He deliberately missed a competition to stick it to the USFSA over a costume??
. . . .

That's what Johnny writes. He was practicing his 'Cirque du Soleil' SP in Moscow when "three USFSA goons" (or similar Johnny wording) came up to the boards and said something to coach Priscilla Hill. Johnny found out that they told Priscilla that he had to change his effeminate one-piece costume. Johnny refused. He was so depressed that he made-believe he was ill so that the USFSA would not have it their way. Johnny kept his costume for Dallas Nationals later that season.

By the way, I watched the tape of Johnny's SP in Dallas Nationals and that was a pretty tame costume - one-piece, blue-sequined top and black bottom...the 'kicker' was that it had one thin line of blue sequins wrapped down one of his legs. It's nothing compared to some of Johnny's later costumes, though. Very tame.

Edited to add: At a later Nationals, Johnny skated to 'Valse Triste' (different SP, different costume) and was given a ridiculous low 4.8 or 4.9 for Tech and 5.0 for Artistic by a lone judge, when every other judge scored in the mid- to high-5s.

mmscfdcsu
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
The feeble attempts to out Johnny's exlover are disgusting. This is a person's life that is being bandied about for your amusement. If the gentleman involved wants to make himself known, he will. :rolleyes:

Sylvia
01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Johnny kept his costume for Dallas Nationals later that season....he got fabulous scores except for a ridiculous 4.8 (or 4.9) Technical score from one judge,
Weir's technical scores in his 2nd place 2003 Dallas Nationals SP ranged from 5.3-5.7 and his presentation scores ranged from 5.4-5.8.

Roxanne
01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
The feeble attempts to out Johnny's exlover are disgusting. This is a person's life that is being bandied about for your amusement. If the gentleman involved wants to make himself known, he will. :rolleyes:
That is true. He could be reading this thread right now and feeling really uncomfortable :(

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Weir's technical scores in his 2nd place 2003 Dallas Nationals SP ranged from 5.3-5.7 and his presentation scores ranged from 5.4-5.8.

It may have been the year of 'Valse Triste' - 2004? This was the nationals that followed the Lake Placid Sectionals. Johnny writes that, at Lake Placid Sectionals, a USFSA official came up to Johnny in the locker room and told him something along the lines of "You know, you don't stand a chance at Nationals. You're never going to amount to anything...." Johnny said that that exchange gave him the fire and determination to win 2004 Nationals but that some of the 'nasty residual' could be seen in a couple of very low scores from a certain judge (the 4.8 Tech and 5.0 artistic). I just saw my DVD of that competition and, indeed, one judge was way out of line in giving Johnny those very low scores, although, at the moment, even the low-scoring judge had Johnny in 2nd behind one earlier guy. Many top skaters were yet to skate.

Frau Muller
01-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Hey, I'm using Johnny's information. Thank or blame JW! He was quite specific. And since when are FSUers 'Rebeccas of Sunnybrook Farm" in the gossip department?! :lol::lol::lol:

Rex
01-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Very true. And perhaps the book does suck. I haven't read it. I will. I just think alot of the people on this site based their opinions of the book on their dislike of the author and really had no idea what information the book contained except for a few quoted lines which pointed up the very things alot of these people think is so wrong about Johnny. I guess one can't be objective or fair if one has issues with him for whatever reason.

It's not a crime to be uninformed about the fashion or entertainment industries but then by making judgements through your ignorance you make your point invalid.

mabri, you are so right. I never sit front row. It kills by the end of the picture. What judgments through whose ignorance? Who is being ignorant now? Pot.Kettle.Black.

danceronice
01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
LOL, I don't even buy Vouge in my country. I saw the film and thought it was garbage, no matter what a great actress MS is.

Well, she played a character (name I forget) who was allegedly based on Wintour. If she is even half the narcissistic bitch the character is, she would not be a nice person.

Hey, if people want to spend their money on labels (which have nothing to do with quality--you want quality, go to a Saville Row tailor and compare the quality of their mens' suits with women's "designer" clothing), their money, but the people in the industry seem to think that makes them more important than God. Most are generally an example of how money cannot buy class.

nubka
01-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Hey, I'm using Johnny's information. Thank or blame JW! He was quite specific. And since when are FSUers 'Rebeccas of Sunnybrook Farm" in the gossip department?! :lol::lol::lol:

ITA! :cool:

portia
01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, she played a character (name I forget) who was allegedly based on Wintour. If she is even half the narcissistic bitch the character is, she would not be a nice person.

I still have acquaintances and couple of friends in the fashion industry in NYC, I can vouch that the film was NICE in it's portrayal of Wintour. They don't nickname her "Nuclear Wintour" for nothing. She really is the nastiest, most horrible person of power in American fashion industry, hands down.