PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to My World by Johnny Weir - It's here, deal with it!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55

neptune
01-11-2011, 10:59 AM
[Tonya and Johnny skating pairs]

She would have to lift him.

Arrangements for that can be made. ;)

:lol: All really good lies have a ring of truth about them.

Definitely true. :)

He has apparently released a single (http://fitperez.com/2011-01-10-johnny-weir-releases-new-single-exclusively-on-fitperezcom/?from=PH). I gagged a little.

Just listened to it. Well, I suppose we can all be grateful that it's just a single and not a double. ;)

Now that I've read an excerpt from Johnny's book and listened to his music, I sure hope he doesn't quit his day job. :D

Aussie Willy
01-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Just listened to it. Well, I suppose we can all be grateful that it's just a single and not a double. ;)

What GOE would you give it?

Prancer
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
From which you has unloaded it?:)

If you can download the Kindle app from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_ipad_mkt_lnd?docId=1000493771) or the Nook app from Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/free-nook-apps/379002321/), you can download a sample of the book.

I have a Nook, so I got the one from B&N: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Welcome-to-My-World/Johnny-Weir/e/9781451611373/?itm=1&USRI=johnny+weir It gives you the first 31 pages of the book.

I'm not sure that will work outside the US, while I think the Kindle app does and there you get the first chapter: http://www.amazon.com/Welcome-My-World-Johnny-Weir/dp/1451610289/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294744812&sr=8-1 Look over on the right, below the green box.

I have a Kindle app, but not on this computer, so I can't tell you if it's the same excerpt right now.

ETA: The Barnes and Noble sample is a paragraph or two longer than the Amazon one, so basically, it's the same sample.

igniculus
01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Johnny was on the Today Show and said that he plans on heavy training this spring and hopefully returning to competitive skating in the near future. So :P

That does not mean anything. "May try" and "Plan to" does not mean that anything. Johnny will not say goodbye to his pampered C-list life and fame and photoshoots and appearances for hard training and rules that he must follow in skating. That's clear for anyone.

I'm laughing at most of the comments on here from people who are so judgemental about the book before reading it on the basis of a couple of sentences. "This book sucks. It's all about fashion and B list celebrities. Uh no I'm too cool to buy it, I just read an excerpt on FSU." lmao or "I'd rather read Paradise Lost"?!!! Did you really think a figure skater's memoir would hold a candle to a classic like that?!!! Oh yeah, and maybe the person who's never heard of Sarah Jessica Parker, Vera Wang, Anna Wintour and Elton John should get out more. You must either live in solitary confinement or a nursing home.

Well, from the people overedge mentioned above, I only knew Kelly Ripa - and only because she was in an article years ago with a picture with Evan. No clue about the rest. Who's Anna Wintour? :rolleyes:

riveredge
01-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Well, from the people overedge mentioned above, I only knew Kelly Ripa - and only because she was in an article years ago with a picture with Evan. No clue about the rest. Who's Anna Wintour? :rolleyes:

She's the editor in chief of Vogue (US). She's the biggest name in the fashion industry. If you remember The Devils Wears Prada, Meryl Streep played her. :watch:

judiz
01-11-2011, 12:25 PM
You covered everything but me :rofl: at him thinking he got the best seating in the movie theatre. Come on, you have to admit that part is :rofl: and a bit of an oops moment for him :D

Those tickets were given to Johnny by Sarah Jessica Parker, I guess Johnny was excited to be in the front row at a major movie premeire.

judiz
01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I finished the book last night and it wasn't quite what I expected. I have the feeling that the lawyers made Johnny remove any juicy tell all stories about the skating world. I did get some answers to some questions such as what really happened at Dallas though.

Carolla5501
01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm laughing at most of the comments on here from people who are so judgemental about the book before reading it on the basis of a couple of sentences. "This book sucks. It's all about fashion and B list celebrities. Uh no I'm too cool to buy it, I just read an excerpt on FSU." lmao or "I'd rather read Paradise Lost"?!!! Did you really think a figure skater's memoir would hold a candle to a classic like that?!!! Oh yeah, and maybe the person who's never heard of Sarah Jessica Parker, Vera Wang, Anna Wintour and Elton John should get out more. You must either live in solitary confinement or a nursing home.

Well, I was judging the 'writing style' and it's not a style I want to read.

Of course, I like the fact that you claim others are "judgemental about the book before reading it based on a couple of sentences" and then you go on to "judge" others based on a post or two... Pot meet kettle.

(And I read that entire section posted earlier. Trust me it was WAY more then a sentence or two..... I just don't enjoy lists of "gushing fandom")

Rex
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm laughing at most of the comments on here from people who are so judgemental about the book before reading it on the basis of a couple of sentences. "This book sucks. It's all about fashion and B list celebrities. Uh no I'm too cool to buy it, I just read an excerpt on FSU." lmao or "I'd rather read Paradise Lost"?!!! Did you really think a figure skater's memoir would hold a candle to a classic like that?!!! Oh yeah, and maybe the person who's never heard of Sarah Jessica Parker, Vera Wang, Anna Wintour and Elton John should get out more. You must either live in solitary confinement or a nursing home. It's sorta like tasting a couple of bites of a dish that you realize SUCKS, and deciding not to eat the rest. You can't MAKE people like Johnny or his book if they don't. And it's certainly not a crime to not know who someone is if you don't follow fashion or entertainment...you are certainly entitled to like/lurve/admire Johnny, but hey, we all don't have to...and I don't.

I may buy the book, just for some giggles, though.

luCN
01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
I finished the book last night and it wasn't quite what I expected. I have the feeling that the lawyers made Johnny remove any juicy tell all stories about the skating world. I did get some answers to some questions such as what really happened at Dallas though.

could you give some spoilers about that?Thank you!:D

rfisher
01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Since I couldn't care less about which celebrities JWe is friends with and think his fashion sense is hysterical, I'll save my money since any skating gossip will be discussed in depth here.

CynicElle
01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
I'd like to see more Amazon reviews from people who are neither Johnny ubers nor Johnny haters. I couldn't care less about what designer labels he's wearing or the famous people who fawned over him, but if he goes into more detail about his skating career and especially how he managed to pull himself together after Dallas, I'll be interested in picking the book up, or at least downloading a sample from Kindle. (I keep forgetting I can do that now!)

Jenny
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM
http://www.showbizspy.com/article/223830/johnny-weir-popped-his-cherry-when-he-found-love.html

I do give Johnny credit on his ability to build an image out of nothing -

"The massive backlash against me in the gay media and community only made me dig my ‘closeted’ heels in further.”

"Massive backlash"? Is that true? Or is it like him saying that everyone says he's "outrageous" enough times that other people start repeating it, not realizing he started it? Or like him saying "I like to talk about sex and drugs" more often that he actually does talk about sex and drugs?

He's taking his own hyperbole to an artform.

Willowway
01-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Jenny hit the nail on the head - a perfect analysis.

Yes, and he was going to 'blow the top off' something or other having to do with skating and the USFSA and all that. People will say that the lawyers prevented it but in reality the lawyers do not stop an author from telling what the author can document as truth (what happened documented from several sources). In this case the lawyers probably asked "so what other sources/people would confirm that?" There is no prohibition from publishing documented facts or documented versions of events if there is prudent fact-checking and valid sources.

So Johnny was actually promising (or threatening, depending how you look at it) to publish various levels of trash-talk, gossip and personal complaints. There clearly are no outrageous or controversial facts to disclose about the skating PTB or we'd be hearing about them in his book as promised.

igniculus
01-11-2011, 02:18 PM
She's the editor in chief of Vogue (US). She's the biggest name in the fashion industry. If you remember The Devils Wears Prada, Meryl Streep played her. :watch:

LOL, I don't even buy Vouge in my country. I saw the film and thought it was garbage, no matter what a great actress MS is.