PDA

View Full Version : Travel tips and tricks

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Jackie Sparrow
01-07-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm going to Thailand next month and have been looking for great hotel deals in Bangkok.
I found a great website that compares several hotel booking pages: www.hotelscombined.com

Feel free to share any of your tips and tricks for hotels, flights, tours etc.

Ozzisk8tr
01-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm going to Thailand next month and have been looking for great hotel deals in Bangkok.
I found a great website that compares several hotel booking pages: www.hotelscombined.com

Also try www.wego.com

We use it a lot. Best travel site weve used. We're in Thailand in 2 weeks tomorrow. Where's my cocktail in a coconut under a palm tree...

Auntie
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Tripadvisor is also a good resource. As per usual on the internet, you have your crazies and people with an axe to grind but it is possible to get some good information from the reviews.

Garden Kitty
01-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I find the Fodor's travel forum (http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/) very helpful. There are lots of existing threads that you can search for hotel and travel info in different locations. And once you've done your research, you can start a thread with specific questions, or even your proposed itinerary and get feedback as to whether your schedule is realistic or not.

I've only used it for travel in North America and there are lots of posters who provide feedback on those locations. I don't know how helpful it is for other locations but the other forums seem pretty busy.

Jackie Sparrow
01-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Also try www.wego.com

We use it a lot. Best travel site weve used. We're in Thailand in 2 weeks tomorrow. Where's my cocktail in a coconut under a palm tree... Many thanks Ozzisk8tr. I found an even better deal for a hotel I am interested in (I save another 3 CHF :D) on wego.

Tripadvisor is also a good resource. As per usual on the internet, you have your crazies and people with an axe to grind but it is possible to get some good information from the reviews. Tripadvisor is very helpful with reviews. I found better deals via the above mentioned sites though.

*Jen*
01-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I'm a pro at long haul flights. Bangkok is one of the airports that we refuel at - so only half way home for me. It's still a pretty long flight though, so there are some things you might want to make sure you have in your hand luggage so you don't feel so gross at the end.

1 - a toothbrush and toothpaste. On a 24 hour flight, they serve 4 meals and 2 snacks. This means I often brush my teeth 6 times per flight, out of boredom mainly, but it also helps you feel fresh.
2 - hand cream. The air con is SO drying. I don't normally use cream during winter, but on a plane, your skin can crack.
3 - a book. The movies might be bad.

That said, I don't often read books. I generally watch the movies I've wanted to see, but not wanted to pay to see ;)

Also, if you're vegetarian, book a veggie meal but be warned - some airlines have decided that vegetarian and gluton free should be the same thing so you can get some pretty wierd shit that neither vegetarians nor people who can't eat gluton appreciate. They've also decided that vegetarian is calorie controlled, so you can be ripped off when it comes to dessert :drama: Asian vegetarian looked better, last time I flew.

Other than that, I've been through Bangkok airport countless times but never out of it, so I can only give tips for the flight :shuffle:

let`s talk
01-07-2011, 02:20 PM

I was in Bangkok ten months ago. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend you to save on hotels there. The 3-star stuff is impossible to stay in, to my taste (don't trust pics in the Internet!). The 4-star is like 3-star in Europe (except Paris :(). Stick with what the call 5-star hotels. They are more or less closer to the level of European business class or 4/4+star hotels. Pretty much the same goes about eating out: it's either rotten, unbearably smelly, uneatable and dangerous for your stomach food from food stands (keep off!!! I know some people who tried and got a serious food poisoning!). Or KFC and crap like that. Or fancy restaurants (very good ones, btw). Bon voyage!

Nadin
01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
If you're in Bangkok Sirocco is a must! :P

It's a restaurant on top of the State Tower that's so high up that the whole of Bangkok is below you; if you get a chance and weather/budget allow it, it really is worth a visit. It's pretty mindblowing. :summer:

http://www.lebua.com/en/the-dome-dining/sirocco-restaurant/

Jackie Sparrow
01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Long haul flights I've done plenty of them, but thanks ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend you to save on hotels there. I am absolutely not saving on hotels, I am just looking for the best deals I can get. I will stay at the Novotel (4*) at the aiport on my way down one night, and two nights at Park Plaza (5*) on my way up. :cheer: I'm gonna spoil myself :summer: I wouldn't try anything below 4 in Thailand :shuffle:

let`s talk
01-07-2011, 02:52 PM
..or if you are in Pratunam, the Thai in Amari Watergate is the heaven of Thai food! (if you like it; btw, the hotel is almost perfect too).
www.amari.com/watergate/restaurant-thaion4.aspx

allezfred
01-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Also, if you're vegetarian, book a veggie meal but be warned - some airlines have decided that vegetarian and gluton free should be the same thing so you can get some pretty wierd shit that neither vegetarians nor people who can't eat gluton appreciate. They've also decided that vegetarian is calorie controlled, so you can be ripped off when it comes to dessert :drama: Asian vegetarian looked better, last time I flew.

If you like fruit and/or are vegetarian, a lot of airlines do a Fruit Meal.

*Jen*
01-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I've done plenty of them, but thanks ;)

:lol: Sorry! You never know. One of my swiss friends has never been out of Europe :shuffle:

My brother was in Bangkok and stayed in hostels. He's alive. He didn't get food poisoning despite eating from stalls and said the hostel was okay, although his standards are lower than mine :shuffle:

If you like fruit and/or are vegetarian, a lot of airlines do a Fruit Meal.

Ahh, frutarianism. I didn't realise there were still people who only ate fruit. But interesting. Might consider it for my next long haul meal...

Last time I flew I took a normal meal and just didn't eat the meat. They feed you too much anyway. The only down side for me was that I had to wait for my food like everyone else, and the special meals get served first ;)

Jackie Sparrow
01-08-2011, 07:55 AM
:lol: Sorry! You never know. One of my swiss friends has never been out of Europe :shuffle: you have avery unusual friend :P

*Jen*
01-08-2011, 02:05 PM
you have avery unusual friend :P

I don't think so, actually. When I taught in Belgium, travel was a common topic of conversation, and I'd say more than 50% of my students had never been out of Europe. Possibly more.

Angelskates
01-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Jackie, the Park Plaza is awesome.