PDA

View Full Version : Strange message left on my car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Glide2
01-07-2011, 12:14 AM
A message was left on my car asking if I wanted to sell it. Weird. The phone number the person left is for an area code in another state and on the MEXICAN BORDER. Not where I live by a long way. So. Random person wants to buy my car, which is not for sale and not unique, AND he doesn't have an in-state phone number. Um, NO. Plus who the hell was in the driveway of my house? I don't like it. At all.

brina
01-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Creepy!

MikiAndoFan#1
01-07-2011, 12:26 AM
:eek:

agalisgv
01-07-2011, 12:28 AM
The phone number the person left is for an area code in another state and on the MEXICAN BORDER. Would it have been better if it was next to the Canadian border?

Glide2
01-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Would it have been better if it was next to the Canadian border?

It's really, really FAR away from where I live. Almost. another. country.
Clear enough?

UMBS Go Blue
FWIW, I live on one end of the country (San Francisco area) and have a cell phone with area code from the other end (Boston area) of the country. I haven't had a land line since 2004. That having been said, I wouldn't lurk in other people's driveways. :eek:

skatingfan5
never mind -- totally misread the post. :slinkway;

agalisgv
01-07-2011, 12:39 AM
FWIW, I live on one end of the country (San Francisco area) and have a cell phone with area code from the other end (Boston area) of the country. I haven't had a land line since 2004. Yeah, my cell is from another part of the country as well, and I haven't had a land line in years.

For all you know, the number could belong to one of your neighbors.

Anita18
01-07-2011, 01:30 AM
It's more weird that someone was snooping on your driveway. I've always had a cell number with an area code 400 miles from where I currently live. :lol:

My parents twice sold old cars that had been parked on their street in front of their house - in both cases, a father knocked on their door asking if they were selling because they wanted to get a manual-transmission beater car for their kid. It still happens in this day and age. :lol:

BigB08822
01-07-2011, 01:43 AM
The number could easily be explained, as others have already done. But, why would someone be walking into driveways and asking people if their vehicles are for sale? That is odd. I would be tempted to call just to find out what this was about but it is probably the safest to just ignore it completely.

FigureSpins
01-07-2011, 01:44 AM
I left a note on someone's SUV the other day because there was stream of green anti-freeze running out from underneath. They probably thought I was wierd for doing that, but I figured they hadn't noticed.

I only changed my cell number because the kids weren't allowed to call out of our area code from school. (Our kids will tell you that we're cruel, anti-technologists who want their preteens ostracized by peer for not having cell phones in this day and age.)

I had a neighbor who had identical cars for himself and his wife. I figured out why: they parked in their driveway in the exact same way every day. (She pulled in first, facing the backyard, he backed in facing the street.) They had split the pair of license plates and put them on the front of each car. That way, they only paid registration and insurance on one of the cars.

Maybe the guy was looking to get a matching car for the same reason.

Also, car service places often buy the same model of car so they can cannibalize them for parts. If his car had a blown engine, it might be cheaper to buy your car.

Lock your door!

BigB08822
01-07-2011, 01:51 AM
LOL at the couple who paid for registration and insurance on only one car. Kind of genius but I'm sure they could easily be caught...I just haven't figured out how yet.

Satellitegirl
01-07-2011, 01:53 AM
If it really bothers you, call the police and tell them, and just let them know you thought it was odd and wanted them to know. Chances are the police would know if there had been any similar situations, and if there's anything to worry about.

Badams
01-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Over the summer I had a man ring my doorbell to ask if my car was for sale. I didn't think much of it. He drove a truck and wanted a smaller car that was better on gas.

Jenna
01-07-2011, 02:02 AM
This could just be a petty teenage prank. However, if you're really concerned I would contact local law enforcement.