PDA

View Full Version : Gwyneth Paltrow: Post-Partum Depression Crippled Me

Pages : [1] 2 3

overedge
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
The generous side of me really wants to applaud her for speaking about this (especially having seen the effects of depression on some of my own family members), but I have to admit I find the timing of this discussion a little crass, i.e. in the context of publicizing her new movie.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2011/01/04/2011-01-04_gwyneth_paltrow_in_good_housekeeping_i_felt_lik e_a_failure_when_i_had_postpartum.html

nubka
01-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Well, at least ol' Gwyneth is never going have to worry about how she's going to pay the electric bill, buy her kids a pair of shoes, or put gas in the car... :rolleyes:

Anita18
01-07-2011, 12:07 AM
The generous side of me really wants to applaud her for speaking about this (especially having seen the effects of depression on some of my own family members), but I have to admit I find the timing of this discussion a little crass, i.e. in the context of publicizing her new movie.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2011/01/04/2011-01-04_gwyneth_paltrow_in_good_housekeeping_i_felt_lik e_a_failure_when_i_had_postpartum.html
Well, the timing of celebrity tell-alls are always well-thought out like that. :lol: But good for her for talking about it. If enough people realize how common it is (and yes, something that even rich and famous people struggle with), hopefully it won't be so difficult to be okay with finding help.

Well, at least ol' Gwyneth is never going have to worry about how she's going to pay the electric bill, buy her kids a pair of shoes, or put gas in the car... :rolleyes:
I think that's kind of unfair - sure she's led a privileged life, but you can't help those weird brain things that happen. Your brain chemistry doesn't care how rich you are.

Hannahclear
01-07-2011, 12:14 AM
The thing about PPD is that it's really hard if you have it or if you're just incredibly sleep deprived and miserable because of that. At least it was for me. I'm leaning towards sleep deprivation at this stage, because I feel so much better now that my son sleeps somewhat regular hours and we have better strategies in place to deal with wake-ups.

I do think it's helpful for new moms to hear the message that it's ok not to be all that happy after you've had a baby. It's a huge adjustment and expecting it to be sunshine and rainbows just sets up unrealistic expectations. It's really hard.

nubka
01-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Well, the timing of celebrity tell-alls are always well-thought out like that. :lol: But good for her for talking about it. If enough people realize how common it is (and yes, something that even rich and famous people struggle with), hopefully it won't be so difficult to be okay with finding help.

I think that's kind of unfair - sure she's led a privileged life, but you can't help those weird brain things that happen. Your brain chemistry doesn't care how rich you are.

Yeah, I knew I would get flack for posting that. Unfortunately, I know a lot about "weird brain things"/chemistry. It's an unfortunate club that nobody wants to belong to, but there it is. :(

IceAlisa
01-07-2011, 01:32 AM
That's right, you can't buy your way out of depression. I was lucky not to have PPD but I could easily see how a new mom would develop it. The sleep deprivation alone is unbelievably hard.

skatemommy
01-07-2011, 01:57 AM
If Tom Cruise tells her "it's all in your head" I will personally fly to Hollywood and kick him in his private parts. With skates on....

Rex
01-07-2011, 02:07 AM

Every time she has a movie....we learn something new about her life. Would have been nice if she had come forward with this without Country Strong hitting the theaters any minute...

nubka
01-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Every time she has a movie....we learn something new about her life. Would have been nice if she had come forward with this without Country Strong hitting the theaters any minute...

Word!!!

skatemommy
01-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Maybe none of the mags want to talk to her until she has a movie come out? She leads a pretty quiet life (unlike insert Lilo, Kardashian, any other reality dumbwhit). Or maybe she doesn't talk until a movie needs publicity to keep her family out of the limelight. With all of the famewhores these days, I'm glad Gwyneth lays low and doesn't feel the need to Tweet us what she just had for lunch.

IceAlisa
01-07-2011, 02:32 AM

Good point.

Matryeshka
01-07-2011, 02:51 AM
The only reason Gwyneth keeps a low profile is that every time she interviews, she says something a) dumb, b) snobbish, c) contradictory, or d) all of the above. It's better for her career to stay out of the limelight. Remember when she did the Madonna I'm-British-now-because-they're-soooo-much-smarter? And how jealous others are of her because she's so talented and beautiful? Must be hard, awwwwww. I feel so bad :blah:

That being said, for whatever reason, I believe her in this case. She's an actress, and a good one with that--I'm sure she could make you believe whatever she wanted in an interview, but it sounds EXACTLY like what two friends of mine went through. People are also really judgemental, especially when it comes to babies. Some will judge her for talking about PPD. You don't have to be a Scientologist to doubt its existence and tear down the poor women who experience it. If it was just for publicity/sympathy grabbing, I think she'd have talked about something else, something that would make everyone go, "awwww, that Gweny, so brave, so strong!" But PPD? Trust me, on some celebrity message board somewhere, the ignorant comments about "made-up modern diseases" have already started.

A friend of mine's mom suffered horrible PPD, but in the early 80s, you didn't talk about it. She spent the first two years of her life with her grandparents, because even when her mother did start to bond, the grandparents were terrified she'd go crazy again and hurt the baby. Also, it was traumatizing, she understandably did not have any more kids. (Later, she found out there was a history of PPD in her family, stretching way back.) My friend, OTOH, when she spawned, knew about it, had talked to her mom about it, and got the support she needed. Didn't have it with her first, but did with her second. No one took her baby away, but my god, she had to change churches because of some of the comments that were directed her way. Despite all that, she's pregnant with her third child! :cheer2:

Rhianna
01-07-2011, 03:42 AM
For the record, Gwyneth has been talking about this for years.

LuckyCharm
01-07-2011, 03:51 AM
For the record, Gwyneth has been talking about this for years.

I thought this too, but I didn't post it because I wasn't 100% certain and I was too lazy to search for supporting links.

MacMadame
01-07-2011, 06:32 AM
The thing about PPD is that it's really hard if you have it or if you're just incredibly sleep deprived and miserable because of that. At least it was for me. I'm leaning towards sleep deprivation at this stage, because I feel so much better now that my son sleeps somewhat regular hours and we have better strategies in place to deal with wake-ups.

It could also have been sub-clinical. I'm not sure who gets to draw the line between when you have a disease and when it's still considered the normal experience but I know that I was happy and running around doing things within a week of my first (it would have been sooner but I had a c-section) but with my second I was just kind of numb for about 3 months and spent a lot of time on the internet when I probably should have been interacting with my newborn instead.