PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir comes out in People Mag (threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

essence_of_soy
01-07-2011, 01:05 PM
I am suspicious about the timing, frankly. His new book is coming out, and he decides now is the time? On the one hand, I applaud anyone for coming out, but it kind of sucks that he'l be making money off it when other non-famous gay men don't.

I appreciate where you're coming from. But speaking as a gay man, the process is highly personal and the risks are huge. I have lost friends, and my family situation is strained at best.

But I recall Richard Chamberlain did the same thing in his autobiography. He was a huge television star back in the 1960s, and was unable to 'come out' until the glare of stardom was no longer on him. Johnny is doing this when his name is still white hot. He does have plenty to lose, from losing potential contracts to uber fans, etc.

So, I question whether this is a money making exercise. In the current social climate where gay bullying and teen suicide is rife, I am sure Weir's decision to reveal this aspect of himself is not something he takes lightly.

Yes, I understand it is a different era and such, but for any person in the public eye, particularly someone whose sexuality has always come into question, it is a big deal. Weir is in a sport that has a gay agenda in that you're guilty until proven otherwise. This is both within and outside the sport. I remember even admitting being a fan of the sport back in the early 80s often got me looks. I can only imagine what it would be like for a male who actually skated.

I'd probably have read Johnny's book, anyway. Now, I'll definitely support the cause and buy it.

Carolla5501
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I also do not think he'll compete again. Unless it's just for fun and he's over caring about placement. He's been saying since it's inception that the book would settle the issue of his sexuality. I think the reason he would not be open before this was that he believed he was already being held back by the mere perception of him as gay and that to blatantly come out would have been competitive suicide. Yes I think this "leak" is a teaser for the book. He's not stupid by any means.

If he really believes that it's his "Sexuality" that held him back then I question your comment on "He's not stupid by any means"

I would daresay that the judges have never had much doubt as to his "sexuality" and yet he somehow managed to make two Olympic Teams etc... What held him back were things that happened on the ice. But he seems to want to "blame" someone for the fact that he didn't get the results he wanted. Even his fans have gone :rolleyes: when he did one less jumping pass then his competion and then wondered why his score was too low......

IMHO the current judging system was MADE for a skater like Johnny and when it first came out he benefited. He had transitions, spins all those things that get points in addition to jumps. I am not sure why it never all came together. Maybe it's in the book (and if it his maybe someone will post because I am not buying this book anytime soon :) )

As to his losing endorsements etc because he came out... Maybe that's true. However, as badly "managed" as he has been over the past few years by his agent it will be hard to tell why he isn't getting them. She will now have an excuse that I am sure they will jump on, but... IMHO he has not been well served by his agent lately! However, I am not sure a comparison to a 1960's TV star is really valid. Maybe to Ricky Martin or someone who came out more recently, but while we aren't as "accepting" as we should be, we have made some progress since 1960!

Spartacus
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Go Johnny! "Alex" huh? Darn, there're just so many Alexs in the sport, we'll never figure out who...too bad his name wasn't something more unique like ShhhhOW!...darn...what a horrible time to get a finger cramp!:D

Gaga's a woman? :EVILLE:

mmm... good question :lol:
Yes she is...well except for the huge donkey *expletive* she admits to having. Gaga will rule 2011!!!! Muahahahaha!

agalisgv
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
He does have plenty to lose, from losing potential contracts to uber fans, etc. I kinda wondered if one of the reasons for saying he'd still marry a woman was done in part to not lose his ubers. So many ubers tend to be women, and with male skaters there is often a sexual component to the ubering. Saying he'd still marry a woman could almost be like saying, "I may be gay, but you still have a chance with me." It would help prevent his ubers from losing interest.

Lisa
01-07-2011, 02:57 PM
But I recall Richard Chamberlain did the same thing in his autobiography. He was a huge television star back in the 1960s, and was unable to 'come out' until the glare of stardom was no longer on him. Johnny is doing this when his name is still white hot. He does have plenty to lose, from losing potential contracts to uber fans, etc.
Richard Chamberlain was still a tv star in the eigthies ("Thorn Birds"), and lots of women just adored him. Coming out would have ruined his career back then, for sure.
Johnny never struck me as a potential Casanova ;)

Anyhow, hopefully we'll still see him in eligible skating. :)

gkelly
01-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I am suspicious about the timing, frankly. His new book is coming out, and he decides now is the time? On the one hand, I applaud anyone for coming out, but it kind of sucks that he'l be making money off it when other non-famous gay men don't.

On the other hand, non-famous gay men don't have to deal with the media constantly pestering them about their sex lives.

Similarly, famous straight men, or women, can earn money by publicly revealing details about their private lives on their own schedules, whereas nonfamous straight folks can't use that as a moneymaking opportunity either.

Kwantumleap
01-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I can just see the headlines now:

JOHNNY WEIR ROCKS SKATING WORLD BY COMING OUT AS GAY

:lol: The shock and awe is more so about his timing since it was a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. It's hard to crave loads of attention from the public yet be vague with them about who you are. Again, it's his prerogative, but it always rubs me the wrong way when other gay men suggest their sexuality is one of the least significant parts of themselves. Sexuality isn't everything, but it's taken him this long to be open about it. You bet it's an important part of his life whether he's sexually active or not. I applaud him for being out, though. It's not easy.

I agree with those of you here that say he's still developing his views about himself and the world. When I came out to my friends and family, the last thing in the world I was going to do was immediately proclaim an interest in women, though. He may not fit into boxes, but he needs to know how to address his (target) audience that lives inside those very boxes he loathes. He said the bullying and suicides helped push him to come out, but his marrying a woman statement fails to relate his concerns.

Jenny
01-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I kinda wondered if one of the reasons for saying he'd still marry a woman was done in part to not lose his ubers. So many ubers tend to be women, and with male skaters there is often a sexual component to the ubering. Saying he'd still marry a woman could almost be like saying, "I may be gay, but you still have a chance with me." It would help prevent his ubers from losing interest.

Agree this is a strong possibility - it's worked for Adam Lambert after all.

REO
01-07-2011, 04:05 PM
All his life his closest friends and biggest supporters have been women. He had one actual relationship with "Alex" who broke his heart. Marrying a woman seems like a good option to him. I don't find that that suprising or off the wall.

millipied
01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
"Alex" who broke his heart.
oh, More please.

briancoogaert
01-07-2011, 04:53 PM
OMG tell me it can't be true!!!!:eek::lol:

What woman wouldn't want him as a husband. He would be interested in the things they are, particularly if they were a skating fan. And probably would give fabulous make up and fashion hints. And when it comes to shopping they would have a hard time keeping up with him.

And the best thing - you wouldn't need to do the housework!!!!
Really ? That's what women want from a man ? :drama:

Carolla5501
01-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Not all of us. I don't want to have to worry that my husband has on more makeup then I do. Plus I would have to give up too much closet space!

I am really into "kills the mouse in the attic" and "fixes stuff" :)

barbk
01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Not all of us. I don't want to have to worry that my husband has on more makeup then I do. Plus I would have to give up too much closet space!

I am really into "kills the mouse in the attic" and "fixes stuff" :)

Well, okay -- I get that -- but wouldn't the thought of a truly fabulously decorated home outweigh those problems? (Truly, I hope scientists someday figure out what it is that lets a disproportionate number of gay guys have just amazing design sense. It pretty much ends up that my favorite interior designs/garden designs in any non-twee magazine (Not Family Circle or Victoria) ends up being the homes of some gay couple.)

manleywoman
01-07-2011, 05:37 PM
I appreciate where you're coming from. But speaking as a gay man, the process is highly personal and the risks are huge. I have lost friends, and my family situation is strained at best.

So, I question whether this is a money making exercise. In the current social climate where gay bullying and teen suicide is rife, I am sure Weir's decision to reveal this aspect of himself is not something he takes lightly.

Yes, I understand it is a different era and such, but for any person in the public eye, particularly someone whose sexuality has always come into question, it is a big deal. Weir is in a sport that has a gay agenda in that you're guilty until proven otherwise. This is both within and outside the sport. I remember even admitting being a fan of the sport back in the early 80s often got me looks. I can only imagine what it would be like for a male who actually skated.

Fair enough.

Theatregirl1122
01-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Personally I'm into the :grope:

Also football.