PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir comes out in People Mag (threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

agalisgv
01-07-2011, 02:06 AM
i thought that last season when he decided not to go to world'smoi aussi

While Weir is technically eligible, it really is just a technicality IMO. I think Galindo is the only US skater who will have competed while being 'out'.

manleywoman
01-07-2011, 02:12 AM
I somehow missed the discussion on who Alex was as well. That's how much I care about their personal lives.

I am suspicious about the timing, frankly. His new book is coming out, and he decides now is the time? On the one hand, I applaud anyone for coming out, but it kind of sucks that he'l be making money off it when other non-famous gay men don't.

luCN
01-07-2011, 02:14 AM
I found in all the websites' comments and on tweets nearly no people are shocked...

I'm shocked,because I think Johnny said several time,he want to be Johnny Weir,loving woman or man or both isn't important.

if he want to come out,then that's it.But I really think if he stay his way,it will give someone a new model,a new way to live...I can't understand why the America media are only enthusiastic about "are you gay" thing...

ks777
01-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Can't they look up to Oscar de la Hoya?

:D I forgot about him!!

Kwantumleap
01-07-2011, 02:21 AM
Immediately after saying he's gay he said he would marry a woman. It's a tell-tale sign that he's insecure about his sexuality, so why come out about it? That's his prerogative. Johnny once skated to the song My Way, a perfect analogy for his view of the world. I'm sure Johnny had at-risk youth in mind, but as Harvey Milk once said, one of the most powerful forms of (LGBT) activism is to be honest and open(ly gay) about yourself. This is like a glass half-full version of that activism.

Cherub721
01-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Not exactly a shock that he waited for his book to come out. :lol: Good for him though, hope more skaters follow his example.

peibeck
01-07-2011, 02:36 AM
am I the only one think this may mean he will not compete ever again?... :(

I have to say I thought the Olympics in Vancouver was it for him.

I know he has said he'd like to take this season off then get ready and begin attempting to compete again to make a run for the Sochi team, but let's see if he burns any bridges with his book first. :lol:

LilJen
01-07-2011, 02:44 AM
OMG tell me it can't be true!!!!:eek::lol:

What woman wouldn't want him as a husband. He would be interested in the things they are, particularly if they were a skating fan. And probably would give fabulous make up and fashion hints. And when it comes to shopping they would have a hard time keeping up with him.

And the best thing - you wouldn't need to do the housework!!!!

Well, I could go for him doing the housework :) but I have ZERO interest in shopping, fashion, bad pop music, and interpersonal drama. (And I am most definitely female.)

I did love his skating in the first few years he was prominent--beautiful, smooth, elegant, poised, stretched, captivating. Not as fond of the posing/vogueing he does these days.

Aussie Willy
01-07-2011, 03:17 AM
I did love his skating in the first few years he was prominent--beautiful, smooth, elegant, poised, stretched, captivating. Not as fond of the posing/vogueing he does these days.
Well at least he does it better than Plushenko. Definately more style.

Nomad
01-07-2011, 03:19 AM
I'd rather watch Weir than Plush, even though I'm not a fan of Nina Petrenko's "choreography".

REO
01-07-2011, 03:22 AM
I also do not think he'll compete again. Unless it's just for fun and he's over caring about placement. He's been saying since it's inception that the book would settle the issue of his sexuality. I think the reason he would not be open before this was that he believed he was already being held back by the mere perception of him as gay and that to blatantly come out would have been competitive suicide. Yes I think this "leak" is a teaser for the book. He's not stupid by any means.

millipied
01-07-2011, 03:51 AM
I believe his "woman" comment was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

Holley Calmes
01-07-2011, 04:30 AM
So what? Maybe he finds an interesting/interested, nice lesbian woman with same mentality ... :cool:

Love ya, Johnny! :encore:

When I worked for a large department store chain, I reported to a lovely man who was quite gay and out - and this was in 1978. He was married to a very nice woman whom everyone said was also gay, and they had several adopted kids. They made up a wonderful, loving, and inclusive family. Their kids had grown up by the time I knew them and had married, and they had grandkids. I can't imagine a more loving, close, "traditional" family in an emotional sense. He kept a male lover in NYC for the week out of every month he lived there, but it didn't seem to bother his wife. They lived to be in their late seventies, and I truly believe they are now living happily ever after with those they loved on Earth in a beautiful hereafter. I treasure the memory of this gracious, intelligent and artistic man and his equally dear family. He wasn't the only one-he was an example for many. Of course, that was a "way out" in those days. Now, I'm hopeful gay men and women can form families guided only by love.

luCN
01-07-2011, 05:19 AM
I'd rather watch Weir than Plush, even though I'm not a fan of Nina Petrenko's "choreography".

when they compete they can use their best weapon,Plushenko has best quads and other jumps,so he concern on them.It's not his fauls.Johnny used one footwork four times in one competition to get two GP gold in 07-08 season didn't bother me either...When in galas,Plushenko's numbers are intersting and entertainment as Johnny's,just different style,why people always put someone under another?

and,if Plushenko continue to compete while Johnny keep doing reality or fashion shows,I'm sure I'd rather watch Plushenko,I'm a figure skating fan first. :watch:

Triple Butz
01-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Immediately after saying he's gay he said he would marry a woman. It's a tell-tale sign that he's insecure about his sexuality, so why come out about it? That's his prerogative. Johnny once skated to the song My Way, a perfect analogy for his view of the world. I'm sure Johnny had at-risk youth in mind, but as Harvey Milk once said, one of the most powerful forms of (LGBT) activism is to be honest and open(ly gay) about yourself. This is like a glass half-full version of that activism.

I think Johnny's point is that while he considers himself gay, he's open to love and attraction in various forms which is a tell-tale sign that someone is EXTREMELY comfortable with their sexuality. When others are trying to box someone else in to a narrow category, it's usually because the thought of something outside that box is very frightening to them. This is a tell-tale sign that they are not comfortable with their own sexuality.