PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir comes out in People Mag (threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

HisWeirness
01-07-2011, 12:14 AM
More details about the People article here:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/01/06/johnny-weir-comes-out-gay-memoir/

He talks about the moment he first knew he was “different.” “Watching Richard Gere in Pretty Woman at the tender age of six was when I had first realized there was something different about me. I wanted to be Julia Roberts so badly. Kissing seemed like a weird thing to do, but I knew if I was going to do it, it would be with Richard Gere.”
Weir says those who wield power in the figure skating world “rail against” its image as “the gayest sport in the universe,” and, therefore, gay skaters are scared to show any signs of their orientation because the judges will hold it against them. “One had to act like a man. On skates and in sparkles,” he says.

The AP (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ihtu6Vz_cX-AMSJkR354balB1LLw?docId=c8d2463b5234478f9fb3e98f00 07680f) has picked up the story too.

Anita18
01-07-2011, 12:16 AM
:lol: Not a surprise at all, but good for him for doing it on his own terms.

Susan1
01-07-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm pretty sure we already knew he is gay, I don't think that's the point. He came out when he was ready on his own terms.

But why "come out" when it's not exactly necessary? Just to sell his book?

Sparks
01-07-2011, 12:34 AM
I might. My house would be a lot cleaner than it is now and my wardrobe would double.

Same here, but I'm afraid that we aren't even close in dress sizes.
Seriously, all my husbands/boyfriends are gay. :glamor:

Screenie
01-07-2011, 12:35 AM
i think "Alex"s identity shouldn't be talked about if he doesn't want it to be talked about...

smileyskate
01-07-2011, 12:38 AM
I am also glad that he didn't give in to "pressure" from those who wanted him to "come out" and lived on his own terms. Personally I don't think people should even be pushed to give out that info either way! Keep your business to yourself and to those who you are very closest too - even then, if he was to show up at a family gathering with another guy, who is to say it isn't simply a great friend? Not anyone's business. I don't like any couples being overly flashy with the pdas-straight or otherwise.
Nothing shocking here, perhaps we can move on.
I hope the book is great.
He has great raw skating talent, but I wonder what he will be most remembered for.

ETA: Interesting about the marrying a woman thing as that was mentioned when has commentating next to Tara on the Univ. Sports couch. Seemed to some of us like he'd make a great husband. (I said "seemed", I don't know anything for sure).

Kwantumleap
01-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Why's isn't this in the Skip?

CantALoop
01-07-2011, 12:45 AM
But why "come out" when it's not exactly necessary? Just to sell his book?

This is the reason he stated:

"With people killing themselves and being scared into the closet, I hope that even just one person can gain strength from my story."

DinDonShamu
01-07-2011, 12:59 AM
I might. My house would be a lot cleaner than it is now and my wardrobe would double.

If you're okay with him throwing your clothes out and replace them with his :lol:

GarrAarghHrumph
01-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Johnny is only the second eligible figure skater to publicly come out as gay, while he was still eligible. Rudy Galindo was the first.

luCN
01-07-2011, 01:10 AM
am I the only one think this may mean he will not compete ever again?... :(

I think many fans will want to marry him,but what he said about being gay and still marry a woman make me a little uncorfortable,hope he's just joking...

overedge
01-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Johnny is only the second eligible figure skater to publicly come out as gay, while he was still eligible. Rudy Galindo was the first.

In the US. I believe that Matthew Hall of Canada was out when he was competing.

my little pony
01-07-2011, 01:19 AM
am I the only one think this may mean he will not compete ever again?... :(

i thought that last season when he decided not to go to world's

ks777
01-07-2011, 01:26 AM
This is the reason he stated" "With people killing themselves and being scared into the closet, I hope that even just one person can gain strength from my story." :

In reality, everyone was assuming he was gay so I don't think it helps much. He was really open about it, even though he never admit it. It's much more effective if Kenny Chesney came out..

It actually would have been better if he was "straight" and coming out about his love of shopping, crossdressing and wearing makeup... so that some of the closeted straight guys could have someone to relate to or look up to. There are straight guys out there that love to crossdress behind closed doors.. they really have nobody to look up to.. :P

JerseySlore
01-07-2011, 02:00 AM
In reality, everyone was assuming he was gay so I don't think it helps much. He was really open about it, even though he never admit it. It's much more effective if Kenny Chesney came out..

It actually would have been better if he was "straight" and coming out about his love of shopping, crossdressing and wearing makeup... so that some of the closeted straight guys could have someone to relate to or look up to. There are straight guys out there that love to crossdress behind closed doors.. they really have nobody to look up to.. :P

Can't they look up to Oscar de la Hoya?