PDA

View Full Version : Best example: "Whatever Happened to?" Junior Ladies World Champion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Seerek
01-05-2011, 10:15 PM
What would be the best example of a "whatever happened to....?" former Junior World Ladies Champion?

miki88
01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
"Best example" = case of most unfulfilled potential? If that's the case, I vote for Yukina because she one of the most talented skaters to ever come out of Japan but her career was sadly cut short by injuries.

patinage
01-05-2011, 10:43 PM
I recognize most of the names on this list, but not Koiwai and Gorbenko. :confused:

Ota and Kirk are both are 4CC champions, at least, if that counts for much.

MikiAndoFan#1
01-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Definitely Yukina. :(

bardtoob
01-05-2011, 11:27 PM
Cindy Bortz :scream:

She was a Frank Carroll skater, but she skated just like Tara Lipinski :lol:

ETA: . . . Well actually, there are a lot more similarities to Lipinski than just the skating.

Cindy Bortz (USA) - 1987 World Junior Figure Skating Championships (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnyindwb1M)

Lanie
01-05-2011, 11:36 PM

ETA: . . . Well actually, there are a lot more similarities to Lipinski that just the skating.

Cindy Bortz (USA) - 1987 World Junior Figure Skating Championships (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnyindwb1M)

Cindy coaches at my rink. I've never seen this vid, thanks! :rofl:

chipso1
01-05-2011, 11:59 PM
It's gotta be Ann-Patrice McDonough for me...a lot of talent, a lot of crazy mama drama. :(

kittyjake5
01-06-2011, 12:18 AM
I voted for Anne Patrice. She was so talented.

alchemy void
01-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Foxy lady Kristina Oblasova. Huge talent, sexy, and partying diva. Would have been fun to have her around past 2000.

Jenna
01-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Ann Patrice and Yukina for me. Sadly, Caroline Zhang is heading on this path.

haribobo
01-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Seriously though, what DID happen to Timoshenko? And Irina Nikolaeva? And Tatiana Basova?

Nomad
01-06-2011, 01:17 AM
Timoshenko skated for Azerbaijan until 2005.

Seerek
01-06-2011, 12:47 PM

ETA: . . . Well actually, there are a lot more similarities to Lipinski than just the skating.

Interesting to hear Toller Cranston's commentary on junior skaters in general...I'm relieved he cut them some slack on presentation (kind of).

From a purely technical perspective - the difficulty of Cindy's program actually stacks up very well with the ladies at senior Worlds (in 1987)

lowtherlore
01-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Ota and AP for me too. Yukina was one of the best to come out of Japan, even with the shaky jumps. AP's skating was achingly beautiful at times, with good flow, jumps and spins. Such a cruel sport. So many bite the dust with puberty or injuries.

orientalplane
01-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I recognize most of the names on this list, but not Koiwai and Gorbenko. :confused:

Koiwai competed at 1995 senior Worlds. In the FS, she misjudged the take-off of a double axel quite horribly, fell badly against the boards and her left skate cut her right leg. After a short while, she picked herself up, carried on and finished the programme with blood streaming from the wound, and the audience cheering everything she did. She was then taken to hospital and her leg stitched up. I never saw her again.

As for Gorbenko, I'm pretty sure I remember her competing in Europeans for Russia back in 1993 (may have the date wrong). And greatly to my surprise, when I went to British nationals the next year, there she was competing for Great Britain. She had married a British guy and was entitled to skate for GBR, though she didn't win the championships, being beaten by Charlene Von Sayer. As with Koiwai, I never saw her again.