PDA

View Full Version : Best example: "Whatever Happened to?" Junior Ladies World Champion

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

poths
01-07-2011, 03:01 PM
She competed at 2004 Euros. I remember it because she took a gulp of water before one of her programmes and spat it out on to the ice before she started. :scream:I remember because she had a superb cleavage! :swoon:

This was another *oh crap we have no one* period for Russia as they were throwing Nelidina, Oblassova and Bassova around in the hopes that one of them would do something....none of them did!

Still, it was no 2007 when Petushkova/Dorinina and Ievleva were the best they had :eek: 4 years later.....:shuffle:

poths
01-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Yup,Daria Timoshenko was married to Igor Lukanin;-)don t know when they split... Timoshenko was really a very boring skater,as I remember her from euros. No spark or attack... I still had a soft spot for her,somehow...
She was part of that glum trio - Drei, Gizmo and Timo. They all just looked so depressed and beaten up. It was a sympathetic support ;)

Nomad
01-07-2011, 05:05 PM

Still, it was no 2007 when Petushkova/Dorinina and Ievleva were the best they had :eek: 4 years later.....:shuffle:

Aaahhh, the Crapova Sisters. They (along with Gozeva) all seem to have been banished to the Mall Rink of Forgotten Skaters.

Seerek
01-07-2011, 05:39 PM
How would skating history have changed if Sydne Vogel had become the bronze medalist at 1996 US Nationals?

briancoogaert
01-07-2011, 06:31 PM
For me, it's Elena Ivanova. It seems to me that this girl spent her whole career in the junior rank !

poths
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
For me, it's Elena Ivanova. It seems to me that this girl spent her whole career in the junior rank !

I don't know why that's :rofl: but...it really is. :lol:

Nomad
01-07-2011, 06:55 PM

She had a brief senior career. She even medalled at a couple of B comps, like Finlandia and Nebelhorn.

SmallFairy
01-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I remember because she had a superb cleavage! :swoon:

This was another *oh crap we have no one* period for Russia as they were throwing Nelidina, Oblassova and Bassova around in the hopes that one of them would do something....none of them did!

yes, I remember....Oblasova and Basova at Euros... and they did so badly I think none of them was send to worlds I think, but I don't remember who was sent instead? too lazy to look it up...anyone?

Poths....yeah, I guess you're right....it was our sympathy for these poor girls.... and what about that other left out Russian skating for Armenia...with the great spins! What's her name again... My mind is completely not working now!

gkelly
01-07-2011, 08:45 PM
and what about that other left out Russian skating for Armenia...with the great spins! What's her name again... My mind is completely not working now!

You mean Yulia Vorobieva, who skated for Azerbaijan? She did have great spins. And her career seems to have concluded ca. 2001.

Nomad
01-07-2011, 09:12 PM
yes, I remember....Oblasova and Basova at Euros... and they did so badly I think none of them was send to worlds I think, but I don't remember who was sent instead? too lazy to look it up...anyone?

Slutskaya, Sokolova, and Volchkova. They finished 9th, 10th, and 15th.

Nomad
01-07-2011, 09:16 PM
y
.... and what about that other left out Russian skating for Armenia...with the great spins! What's her name again... My mind is completely not working now!

Julia Lebedeva?

SmallFairy
01-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Yes,Lebedeva it was,thanks a lot! I loved Yulia Vorobieva,her I remember! she was so sweet,and had almost no ice time in Azerbadsjan,no wonder all her triples were pre-rotated under-rotated "doubles",but boy could she spin! I remember at 98 olympics,svt-commentators said her federation wanted her to quit and start coaching,but she wanted to continue. I felt so sorry for her!

bardtoob
01-08-2011, 06:31 AM
You mean Yulia Vorobieva, who skated for Azerbaijan? She did have great spins. And her career seems to have concluded ca. 2001.

I loved Yulia Vorobieva,her I remember! she was so sweet,and had almost no ice time in Azerbadsjan,no wonder all her triples were pre-rotated under-rotated "doubles",but boy could she spin! I remember at 98 olympics,svt-commentators said her federation wanted her to quit and start coaching,but she wanted to continue. I felt so sorry for her!

Yulia was the last and 2-time Soviet Champion. Maria Butryskaya finished on the podium behind her at the last Soviet Championships, then placed ahead of Yulia at the first Russian Championships post Soviet Union. Yulia's freeskating technique was very secure and I think she would have been able to beat Maria, Oksana, and Markova had they all been on one Soviet team circa 1992-1998. Natalie Lebedeva would have been no match for this group post figures. Irina was destined to become the champion she was.

Oksana was lucky that Victor funded her skating, and Maria was in a better place between the rock and the hard place. Yulia was just in the middle of no where.

pollyanna
01-09-2011, 01:02 AM
Interesting to hear Toller Cranston's commentary on junior skaters in general...I'm relieved he cut them some slack on presentation (kind of).

From a purely technical perspective - the difficulty of Cindy's program actually stacks up very well with the ladies at senior Worlds (in 1987)

It was very sad to see her at 1988 US Nationals - she had grown up and filled out, and the jumps were not so "easy" for her anymore. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hH3lLs1WK4

Seerek
01-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Note the best World Championship results for the poll choices:

Natalia Gorbenko - 8th (1989)
Kumiko Koiwai - 16th (1995)
Daria Timoshenko - 29th (2004)
Jennifer Kirk - 17th (2005)

For the others, the following ladies' best result at their respective Nationals:

Kristina Oblasova - 3rd (2004)
Sydne Vogel - 4th (1996)
Ann Patrice McDonough - 4th (2003)
Elena Ivanova - 4th (1995)
Yukina Ota - 4th (2003)
Cindy Bortz - 7th (1988)
Jessica Mills - 8th (1994)