PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Sylvia
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I figured it was better to have a new thread...

She now lists Peter Oppegard as her coach on Ice Network! Reported by Lynn Rutherford on Twitter!!
This news is confirmed in Zhang's USFS/IceNetwork bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100051&mode=I

HisWeirness
01-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Here is a link to the tweet: http://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/statuses/22720526724112385

Coaching change for CZhang; now she is in Artesia: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100051&mode=I

Frau Muller
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Wow, Gambill didn't last too long, did she? And wasn't there another short-lived coach last year, between the two tenures of Migzhu Li...Charlene Wong, I think?

So Caroline is now one of Yu-Na Kim's training mates, which is surely a positive. I'm afraid, though, that if Caroline fails to make, say, Top 5 at Nationals, she'll bolt to yet another coach. There's an air of desperation in all of this, as if the problems are solely with the coaches and not within herself.

robinhood
01-05-2011, 07:28 PM
training with Yu-Na will give her an indication of her shortcomings in speed and flow. more than any coach can tell her.
I think it's a good move, if only, because of that

kittyjake5
01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I am surprised by this news, right before Nationals too. Caroline has been spotted at Artesia quite a bit and I thought that it was a little strange. I also read that she and her family moved to be closer to her coach's training facility. Goes to show you can't believe everything you read online. lol Training with YuNa is a plus tho. IMO.

Dragonlady
01-05-2011, 07:37 PM
training with Yu-Na will give her an indication of her shortcomings in speed and flow. more than any coach can tell her.
I think it's a good move, if only, because of that

This is now her fourth coaching change in two seasons, albeit one change was to go back to her original coach. This does not bode well. It takes a lot longer than a few months to determine whether the change is a good one, and she's hasn't stayed with either of the other two coaches she moved to long enough to know whether it would work or not.

While it might appear that Caroline went backwards under Tammi Gambill, realistically speaking some backwards movement is required in order to go forward. (See Mao Asada).

Polymer Bob
01-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Goes to show you can't believe everything you read online..........

Exactly. It's like 5 or 6 people are quoting and tweeting the IceNetwork bio with no news report.

oleada
01-05-2011, 07:41 PM
I agree, Dragonlady.

I don't see how constant coaching changes are going to help Caroline. The technical flaws in her skating are such that they will require a lot of hard work and likely some poor results to correct. It seems Caroline and her mother are looking for a quick fix that is not going to happen. As it was, Gambill had done wonders for Caroline's 3F technique, which really speaks to her credit, IMO.

miki88
01-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Hmm. Surprising news! Although training with Yuna is a good thing, I'm not sure Peter is necessarily known as a good technical coach. Isn't that what she needs most now? Tammy may not be well-known but I heard she is good at working with the basics.

olympic
01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I hope that she's not playing musical coaches because she got impatient with the hard work of changing technique under Tammy Gambill. Or worse, her mother got involved

Frau Muller
01-05-2011, 07:49 PM
I hope that she's not playing musical coaches because she got impatient with the hard work of changing technique under Tammy Gambill. Or worse, her mother got involved

BINGO! (I bet.)

MysticHaze
01-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Shades of Mira Leung.

manleywoman
01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
This is now her fourth coaching change in two seasons, albeit one change was to go back to her original coach.

See: Nicole Bobek.

Nomad
01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
I think Nicole holds the record for most coaching changes.

museksk8r
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
This is now her fourth coaching change in two seasons, albeit one change was to go back to her original coach. This does not bode well. It takes a lot longer than a few months to determine whether the change is a good one, and she's hasn't stayed with either of the other two coaches she moved to long enough to know whether it would work or not.

And to think people thought Bobek was flighty. She doesn't hold a candle to La Zhang. :rofl: