PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

loopey
01-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Dance - where speed, flow and blade control are EVERYTHING? Ice dancers have the best stroking and edges of any of the disciplines. No, Caroline Zhang should not consider dance.
You beat me to it!! I was thinking the same thing. Ice Dance does not seem to play to her strengths, IMO.

tangerine_dream
01-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Some one on this board....and he knows who he is suggested that She should get into Dance.....I think he is on to something there. Good observation Sir.

No, she should move on and do something she chose to do on her own, not something mommy dearest forces her to do every day. There's only so much you can teach to someone who doesn't enjoy what they are doing.

Polymer Bob
01-28-2011, 03:34 PM
I was only able to see about 5 or 6 of the short programs yesterday, and Caroline's was one of them. I noticed she seemed to be in better condition than in the Grand Prix. She has lost a little weight. She seemed to have picked up some speed as well. I'm glad her pearl spin is back, though is looked a little more labored than it used to. It will be interesting to see what happens in the free.

No, she should move on and do something she chose to do on her own, not something mommy dearest forces her to do every day. There's only so much you can teach to someone who doesn't enjoy what they are doing.

Caroline actually looked happier than she did earlier in the season. I don't think she is being forced to do anything.

dupagegal
01-28-2011, 09:20 PM

Well of course Caroline should do something she loves. I just think she has great skills....assuming she still wants to skate she should try Dance or Pairs.

Otherwise go to school or take up dress making! lol

Karpenko
01-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I think she could potentially be a fabulous pairs skater!

I still want to see her continue in singles, though. I think she's on the upswing again and making nice improvements. I'm hoping by the end of next season we will see more of the old Caroline (or should I say new?) again. I have faith in her still, she shocked me at her improvements this year I didn't think she had it in her.

krenseby
01-28-2011, 10:15 PM
I think she could potentially be a fabulous pairs skater!

I still want to see her continue in singles, though. I think she's on the upswing again and making nice improvements. I'm hoping by the end of next season we will see more of the old Caroline (or should I say new?) again. I have faith in her still, she shocked me at her improvements this year I didn't think she had it in her.

Well, I didn't get to watch her short while I don't have IN, but one thing I noticed is that her PCS is very low. In the hypothetical case of a perfectly executed program for her, her PCS would put her behind several skaters that have similar or lower TES. For other skaters of course, PCS is that safety cushion that enables them to do well even if they bungle one or several jumps.

Jammers
01-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Plus with all the talented Junior skaters coming up how many more years will the USFSA continue to give underachievers like Caroline and Alexe Gilles assignments to the SGP?

oleada
01-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Plus with all the talented Junior skaters coming up how many more years will the USFSA continue to give underachievers like Caroline and Alexe Gilles assignments to the SGP?

The USFS has nothing to do with GP assignments, aside from host selections at Skate America. If Zhang and Gilles are eligible for one or more and get selected, I doubt that the USFS would stop it.

Jammers
01-29-2011, 02:29 AM
So who picks the GP assignments?

kwanfan1818
01-29-2011, 02:39 AM
The individual federations submit a list of eligible skaters from their nation before the GP selection process. If a skater is off the list, the skater is SOL.

The host nations make the selections from all of the eligible lists based on a multi-step eligibility process. The exception is that the host nation can pick up to three skaters in each discipline for their home event, even if the skater(s) would otherwise not qualify, and, as we've seen this year, the skater(s) doesn't have to be from the host nation.

As long as Zhang and Gilles are on USFS' list, USFS can't formally stop them from being chosen by any other federation, although they could try to negotiate or pressure them from being chosen. The host nation pays travel expenses; I don't think USFS is responsible for any of their expenses outside of Skate America.

dupagegal
01-29-2011, 01:17 PM
The individual federations submit a list of eligible skaters from their nation before the GP selection process. If a skater is off the list, the skater is SOL.

The host nations make the selections from all of the eligible lists based on a multi-step eligibility process. The exception is that the host nation can pick up to three skaters in each discipline for their home event, even if the skater(s) would otherwise not qualify, and, as we've seen this year, the skater(s) doesn't have to be from the host nation.

As long as Zhang and Gilles are on USFS' list, USFS can't formally stop them from being chosen by any other federation, although they could try to negotiate or pressure them from being chosen. The host nation pays travel expenses; I don't think USFS is responsible for any of their expenses outside of Skate America.

What is the criteria in the U.S. for assigning skaters to the LIST? Why in the world would Alexe Gilles be assigned to the list. She is an underperformer. USFSA would go along way to dispell the feeling that if you live in COLORADO and you are part of the IN group you get special benefits.

oleada
01-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Like I said, if a skater has a top 75 season's best score or if they medaled at the JGPF/JW and is eligible for an assignment, I don't think the USFS will (or should) do much to stop it.

Dragonlady
01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Like I said, if a skater has a top 75 season's best score or if they medaled at the JGPF/JW and is eligible for an assignment, I don't think the USFS will (or should) do much to stop it.

Federations do this with great regularity. If a skater retires, they remove them from the list. If a team breaks up, they're removed from the list. If the skater is out with injury, they're removed from the list, and if a skater doesn't make the national team, they're removed from the list.

Ziggy
01-31-2011, 04:22 PM
So what now for Caroline?

US Nationals were pretty disastrous for her. She'll take it on the chin, listen to her team and work harder? Or mommy will intervene and choose another coach?

krenseby
01-31-2011, 04:30 PM
So what now for Caroline?

US Nationals were pretty disastrous for her. She'll take it on the chin, listen to her team and work harder? Or mommy will intervene and choose another coach?

Whatever she does, I hope that for next season she chooses well-choreographed programs with transitions and artistic flourishes.

In her LP for example, even had she landed all the jumps as planned, the PCS was going to be devastatingly low. And for good reason. (I was wondering: was it the choreography itself that was bland or was it just that Caroline was performing it that way?)