PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

pinky166
01-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Maybe... Caroline wanted to get to know Yuna personally...

Or maybe, she's improved so much under Gambill there's no use in her travelling so far everyday to get to Riverside... Hey, you can dream...

Didn't she move from Brea to Corona specifically to be closer to Riverside?

Polymer Bob
01-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Yes, she did. :confused:

essence_of_soy
01-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Oppergard used to train Angela Nikodinov before she moved to Richard Callahan.

Like Mao Asada, Zhang seems to be in a period of transition. Hopefully she can pull things together for Nationals in a few weeks.

Karpenko
01-07-2011, 07:31 PM
The current Olympic Champion training at your old rink where you are more comfortable and closer to home would've made the thought enter my decision-making process regardless of where I was currently training. Just sayin'.... It makes sense why she did it, its not like she moved across country to train in Deleware or anything like that.

AxelAnnie
01-07-2011, 09:25 PM
If the drive to Riverside was going to be a problem, why switch to Gambill in the first place? Consistency of training environment, coaching, etc. is key in skating, and I can't imagine all this change is going to lend itself well to her technique issues.

Whatever the case, I wish her the best of luck in Greensboro. She's certainly worked hard already this season, and it has shown.

As a "recovered" Southern Californian..............I gotta say that drive out to Riverside is an absolute KILLER. I could guess that it seemed "doable" but it had to take a terrible toll.

Doubletoe
01-07-2011, 09:40 PM

Ahh. . . Forgot about that! Sill, even while she was taking her lessons in Riverside, she was practicing at Artesia all the time (on the same sessions as YuNa). She didn't have to switch coaches in order to practice with YuNa. Maybe she's just hoping YuNa's 3Lz will rub off on her if they have the same coach. . .

Jammers
01-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Good luck with that one. Kim has fantastic speed and technique and watching Caroline skate is like watching paint dry. Even with fixing her jumps she just doesn't have anything to make her stand out and she's still painfully slow.

ros01
01-08-2011, 04:24 AM
I wonder if the possibility of increased financial opportunities was also a factor... that if Caroline was at EW and got to know Yuna, she might get into future ATS shows, etc. I don't think she was in the previous ones. I couldn't blame them if that were an incentive.

bardtoob
01-08-2011, 05:50 AM
^I really can't say I know Zhang's situation, but I know that a long time ago the most important thing for her was to become a good skater, and, if she focused on that for good amount of time without distractions then everything else would fall into place.

Carolla5501
01-08-2011, 02:04 PM
As a "recovered" Southern Californian..............I gotta say that drive out to Riverside is an absolute KILLER. I could guess that it seemed "doable" but it had to take a terrible toll.

As someone who works in Souther CA and lives in ATL.... I agree. You look at maps etc and think "that's not bad" and then you do it!!!! It's a nightmare and this year it's probably been really bad with the storms etc.... It's more time in a car then I think most of us appreciate!

inthemiddle
01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
New information on IN

"I'm happy with the change; I'm working hard to add speed to my programs," the 17-year-old told researchers and reporters at her morning practice yesterday.

Zhang said Oppegard and Kwan-Oppegard -- who also train Olympic champion Yu-Na Kim -- have been having her do speed drills, as well as edge and stroking classes, and her stamina has improved. So far in Greensboro, her jumps look strong, but she hasn't set any placement goal.

"I want to show I can still fight, and I can still do it," she said.
Hopefully we will see that.

PUNKPRINCESS
01-27-2011, 02:11 AM
why you tell a lie B?

Caroline DECIDED.
:rofl: Those words are immortal. Yu-Na is the bomb!

This is delicious news. I don't know why, but I'm rather excited by this, and I wouldn't even call myself the biggest Caroline fan. Well, first of all, she's still freakin' young. I can't believe some people are so ready to say she is permanently dunzo at this point. I think she could make a comeback.

Second, for some reason I can imagine Caroline and Yu-Na hitting it off and becoming BFFs and hanging out after practice watching Michelle videos...ahahaha, it's just so perfect! :rollin: Also, there are reasons to feel uncertain whether the Peter/Karen duo will have the experience and needs-based-match for Caroline, but it's definitely gotta be a plus to have Yu-Na around, a skater whose strengths are what Caroline needs to improve on (as others have already alluded to): speed, flow, jump technique.

Why do I love this so much? Doesn't anyone else love it? :swoon:

Polymer Bob
01-27-2011, 03:31 AM
Why do I love this so much? Doesn't anyone else love it? :swoon:

I can't say who the best coach for Caroline would be, but I just hope she does well. For that matter, I hope she wins. :D

dupagegal
01-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Caroline has grown and not just tall. She seemed to be slow and not in good training condition. I suspect we will see more of this during the long. Moving around from coach to coach is not a silver bullet. In my experience some of these talented ladies (or their MOMS) Get tired of hearing the truth from an accomplished coach and leave because they are not getting what they want vs. what's best for the competitiveness of the skater. Some one on this board....and he knows who he is suggested that She should get into Dance.....I think he is on to something there. Good observation Sir.

Dragonlady
01-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Dance - where speed, flow and blade control are EVERYTHING? Ice dancers have the best stroking and edges of any of the disciplines. No, Caroline Zhang should not consider dance.