PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

pinky166
01-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Caroline DECIDED.

:lol: enough with the Yuna references, I feel like that topic has already been discussed to death.

And by the way, Caroline would refer to Tammy as "T" or maybe "G", not "B" ;)

Karpenko
01-07-2011, 01:43 AM
I actually think this could turn out to be a GREAT idea.

She learned a lot of good new technique with Tammy but wasnt training with any other high level senior skaters.

Now she'll be training every single day in person with the Olympic Champion, who just happens to have the most perfect jump technique in the World.

This could work out to be a great thing for her and I'm not giving up with her yet, she's come a long way this year and I will always support Caroline. I'm very curious as to what she looks like and how focused and determined she'll be at Nationals.

stjeaskategym
01-07-2011, 01:45 AM
:sekret: say that Caroline was spotted at Ice Town last week with a single tear rolling down her cheek. :blocjudge

That could mean something, or it could mean nothing. It's okay to cry occasionally. Crying because you're frustrated and something isn't going right is relatively normal.

Coco
01-07-2011, 01:48 AM
I looked at her ISU page and it had Frank Carroll and Richard Callahan listed as former coaches. Maybe Carroll coached her first at Lake Arrowhead?

She worked with them after she worked with Peter O. I don't remember who she worked with before Peter, if I ever knew.

miki88
01-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Despite what reasons she may have, her timing is really bad. A coach change just weeks before Nationals is bound to raise a lot of question marks.

Nomad
01-07-2011, 02:18 AM
On the topic of Oppegard and Nikodinov, who was her "formative" coach? She had fantastic jumps, but she already had them when she went to him. Who should get the credit?

Didn't she start with John Nicks?

smarts1
01-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Maybe... Caroline wanted to get to know Yuna personally...

Or maybe, she's improved so much under Gambill there's no use in her travelling so far everyday to get to Riverside... Hey, you can dream...

chipso1
01-07-2011, 03:11 AM
If the drive to Riverside was going to be a problem, why switch to Gambill in the first place? Consistency of training environment, coaching, etc. is key in skating, and I can't imagine all this change is going to lend itself well to her technique issues.

Whatever the case, I wish her the best of luck in Greensboro. She's certainly worked hard already this season, and it has shown.

hirshey girl
01-07-2011, 03:11 AM
She worked with them after she worked with Peter O. I don't remember who she worked with before Peter, if I ever knew.

She worked with Carroll after Peter O? I didn't think he worked with any other well-known female skaters during the Kwan years. Maybe it was Nicks though. :confused: Well, I hope that Caroline finds what she is looking for with Peter O. Maybe YuNa will be an inspirational training partner for her. :)

brina
01-07-2011, 03:16 AM
why you tell a lie B?

this is what she has DECIDED

EDIT: ^ Oh man, I was beat to it!

chipso1
01-07-2011, 03:34 AM
She worked with Carroll after Peter O? I didn't think he worked with any other well-known female skaters during the Kwan years. Maybe it was Nicks though. :confused:

IIRC, Carroll worked with Nikodinov a bit during the 01-02 season after Tcherkasskaya (sp?) died. Carroll was with Nikodinov in the KnC at 2002 Nationals.

I believe Angela's coaching changes went Oppegard-Callaghan-Tcherkasskaya-Carroll-(Igor) Pashkevitch.

Polymer Bob
01-07-2011, 03:53 AM
This could work out to be a great thing for her and I'm not giving up with her yet, she's come a long way this year and I will always support Caroline. I'm very curious as to what she looks like and how focused and determined she'll be at Nationals.

Absolutely. I'm still waiting for a news report, but if this is true, it may not be a bad thing.
I am also anxious to see how she looks at Nationals.

chipso1
01-07-2011, 03:57 AM
Absolutely. I'm still waiting for a news report, but if this is true, it may not be a bad thing.
I am also anxious to see how she looks at Nationals.

How much more confirmation do you need? :confused:

http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=100051&mode=I

burntBREAD
01-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Honestly, I don't think that this is all that newsworthy, not like Michelle splitting with Frank or Yuna with Brian. Caroline is now unfortunately a relatively minor skater in the public's eyes, so I'm not sure anyone would take the time to write a news report on this. Also, there doesn't appear to be any sort of announcement from Caroline or her team of the switch, so they might not want it to become news.

Sylvia
01-07-2011, 04:02 AM
In the Notes section of Caroline's USFS/Icenetwork bio (end of first paragraph):

Began taking from Tammy Gambill in July 2010 ... Switched coaches again in January 2011, going from Gambill to Peter Oppegard.