PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

olympic
01-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I am surprised that no one considered that the move to Peter might have possibly originated from Tammy Gambill's decision rather than Caroline's. Last time Caroline changed coaches, it was because her coach moved away from the U.S.

Hmmm. If that's the case, a Tammy Gambill decision might mean that she possibly got fed up w/ Mama Zhang's meddling? I don't know what else it could be because Caroline seems well-behaved these days and willing to work and correct her technique - exhibit a: better 3flip. In the K+C, they appeared to be very proper with one another this season {I didn't see the CZ temper tantrums from years past}

skatesindreams
01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
No one here knows the actual circumstances surrounding the change in coach.
Let's wait and see what happens before we judge, or consign Caroline to oblivion!

peibeck
01-06-2011, 06:41 PM
A little bit :eek: about Jason Wong's harsh, but true, tweet. I think we can assume this is about Zhang...

"Bahahaha... Oh Caroline!!! Girl needs a reality check!!!"

I am surprised that no one considered that the move to Peter might have possibly originated from Tammy Gambill's decision rather than Caroline's. Last time Caroline changed coaches, it was because her coach moved away from the U.S.

Based on Jason Wong's tweet (a fellow pupil under Tammy Gambill) it doesn't seem to indicate Tammy "fired" Caroline so much as vice-versa. That being said, I don't find it surprising that she returned to Artesia, which was her home base for years. Oppegard is now the leading coach there, so again that is not so surprising. The question is "why," when she seemed to be making progress with her jumps and speed, especially so close to Nationals?

I'm not "sticking a fork in her," and calling her done yet. But this decision so close to the biggest competition of the year for her (most likely) seems unusual to say the least.

Sylvia
01-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Jason Wong trains in Boston, not California. ;)

My unofficial hearsay info, for what it's worth, is that Caroline's mother has taken much more of a backseat role this season and is not spending much time, if any, at the rink with Caroline.

Doubletoe
01-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes but it's weeks before Nationals. Not months, but weeks. That makes all the good reasons moot.

Why? If she is most comfortable training at her own home rink with someone she has known for years (Peter O.) rather than spending two hours a day on the freeway to train in Riverside, then why not train at Artesia with Peter for the weeks leading up to Nationals? This is a very different scenario from a skater moving across the country to start training with a coach she had just met once or twice.

arakwafan2006
01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Why do you guys act like you know Caroline Zhangs mother personally or like you were hired to coach Caroline therefore giving you credibility to speak to the temperment of her mom? No second hand info when you reply. That kills me..."sick of mama Zhang's meddling...Fed up with Mama Zhang trying to run the show." I mean to be honest, even if Carolines mother was controling, its not like she hasnt had the same mother all her life! Deal with it. Look at Serena and Venus Williams. Their dad is blatantly controling and those girls still rose to the top. Sometimes you just gotta be a tougher coach or a tougher pupil. Still, some of you guys pretend that you know so much about her situation and YOU DONT!!! If the woman handed you a loaf of bread off of a shelf at a grocery store you wouldnt know her from Adam. :soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

pinky166
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
At this point, the only "podium" that Caroline can realistically seek is to win The Battle of the Zhangs -- Can she end up ahead of Felicia Zhang? Zhang vs Zhang for the Battle of the Zhangs, coming soon! :)

I sort of think Felicia will win that battle....no offense to Caroline. Felicia has a killer 3lz :).

Anyways, maybe training with Tammy wasn't working for Caroline. I mean maybe she wasn't pushing her hard enough and that's why Caroline ended up gaining some weight? Who knows. Hope this new situation works out better and that she doesn't continue to play this muscial coaches game.

Also, regarding Mama Zhang, I don't know that she plays that big of a factor in all this. I mean, Mama Kim is the queen of skating moms and Yuna still won World and Olympic golds despite her controlling mother meddling in her business.

peibeck
01-06-2011, 11:04 PM
Jason Wong trains in Boston, not California. ;)

:duh: I guess I was thinking of Dennis Phan. :shuffle:

BittyBug
01-07-2011, 12:32 AM
:sekret: say that Caroline was spotted at Ice Town last week with a single tear rolling down her cheek. :blocjudge

my little pony
01-07-2011, 12:34 AM
why you tell a lie B?

Coco
01-07-2011, 12:36 AM
On the topic of Oppegard and Nikodinov, who was her "formative" coach? She had fantastic jumps, but she already had them when she went to him. Who should get the credit?

pinky166
01-07-2011, 12:56 AM
:sekret: say that Caroline was spotted at Ice Town last week with a single tear rolling down her cheek. :blocjudge

Aww, poor baby. This news is all rather skandalous and shocking to me, sort of a la Yuna and Orser over the summer...

That being said, if Caroline is that miserable - which it seems she is, why is she continuing to skate at all? If she hates it as much as it seems like she does she'd probably be better off ending her competitive skating career and going to college.

Screenie
01-07-2011, 01:00 AM
If the woman handed you a loaf of bread off of a shelf at a grocery store you wouldnt know her from Adam. :soapbox:

i like that line, i'm going to have to start using it :).

hirshey girl
01-07-2011, 01:01 AM
On the topic of Oppegard and Nikodinov, who was her "formative" coach? She had fantastic jumps, but she already had them when she went to him. Who should get the credit?

I looked at her ISU page and it had Frank Carroll and Richard Callahan listed as former coaches. Maybe Carroll coached her first at Lake Arrowhead?

Sparks
01-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Caroline DECIDED.