PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

MacMadame
01-06-2011, 04:44 AM
I
While I have been very impressed by the progress Caroline has made under Tammy Gambill, Artesia has always been her main training rink (and continues to be her main practice rink), and Tammy is in Riverside, an hour away. It's not surprising that that commute would get old, especially now that Caroline has probably heard what Tammy has to say about fixing her jump technique and just needs someone to monitor her as she tries to break the old habits. And of course her relationship with the Kwan family cannot be ignored. She appears to be close to Karen Kwan (even though she has never been Caroline's official coach) and Danny Kwan's influence can never be discounted. In fact, it is rumored that Danny Kwan's interference has been a factor in at least one of her recent coaching changes.
Yes but it's weeks before Nationals. Not months, but weeks. That makes all the good reasons moot.

I noticed that in the US, they don't make you take off your shoes when measuring heights... maybe she was wearing shoes?
:confused: When I go to the doctor, I always have to take my shoes off to get my height measured.

Iceman
01-06-2011, 05:13 AM
Caroline might be 5'5" if you measure her height when she has on her skates lmao.

Did Peter clear taking caroline on with Kween Yuna, else we have a repeat of what happened with her former coach? I really don't see Caroline ever being on a podium again and would be surprised if the Kwan's were "backing" her, despite Michelle alledgedley once having worked with her on lutz.

Prancer
01-06-2011, 05:14 AM
:confused: When I go to the doctor, I always have to take my shoes off to get my height measured.

So do I. Maybe we don't live in the US.

pinky166
01-06-2011, 06:18 AM
I noticed that in the US, they don't make you take off your shoes when measuring heights... maybe she was wearing shoes?

I always have to take my shoes off when I get measured and I live in the US, but maybe for skaters they get measured at like events, with their sneakers on or something. Caroline looks about 5'3" to me, but 5'5" is only 2 inches taller so she might be that tall. She also has a long torso and shorter legs so that may be why she looks shorter to me compared to someone like Yuna with long legs.

For comparison, I met Alissa Czisny and she actually is 5'4", maybe pushing 5'5", and Carolina Kostner, who is only about 5'6", not some super tall amazon like everyone thinks. Those two look taller than most of the others too so I think some skaters inflate their heights, just like celebrities. IMDB says Dan Radcliffe is 5'8" :lol:

Another thing on heights, sometimes they vary depending on where you are measured and what time of day it is. For example last week I went to the doctor's around noon time and they measured me (with my shoes off) and said I was 5'5 1/2" (166-167 cm), but about 2 months earlier the doctors at school (different doctor and location to last week) measured me around 4 or 5 pm after I had been carrying around a backpack with heavy books (again my shoes were off) and said I was 5'4 3/4" (164-165 cm). So I guess I could have grown 3/4 inch in 2 months, but considering I'm like 19 I doubt it, and so I don't know which one is right. Are you maybe taller earlier in the day than at night by like a cm or two?

lakewood
01-06-2011, 06:55 AM
I always have to take my shoes off when I get measured and I live in the US, but maybe for skaters they get measured at like events, with their sneakers on or something. Caroline looks about 5'3" to me, but 5'5" is only 2 inches taller so she might be that tall. She also has a long torso and shorter legs so that may be why she looks shorter to me compared to someone like Yuna with long legs.

For comparison, I met Alissa Czisny and she actually is 5'4", maybe pushing 5'5", and Carolina Kostner, who is only about 5'6", not some super tall amazon like everyone thinks. Those two look taller than most of the others too so I think some skaters inflate their heights, just like celebrities. IMDB says Dan Radcliffe is 5'8" :lol:

Another thing on heights, sometimes they vary depending on where you are measured and what time of day it is. For example last week I went to the doctor's around noon time and they measured me (with my shoes off) and said I was 5'5 1/2" (166-167 cm), but about 2 months earlier the doctors at school (different doctor and location to last week) measured me around 4 or 5 pm after I had been carrying around a backpack with heavy books (again my shoes were off) and said I was 5'4 3/4" (164-165 cm). So I guess I could have grown 3/4 inch in 2 months, but considering I'm like 19 I doubt it, and so I don't know which one is right. Are you maybe taller earlier in the day than at night by like a cm or two?

Exactly.

Autumn_girl
01-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Sorry, but I don't see how it can help Caroline. I said it earlier and I can say it again, I think she is done. The problem is not her coaches, it's herself. It takes time to get used to the new coach and she had to do it, I don't know, like 3 times in the past two years? Maybe she and her mother expect miracles but it's not going to happen. The best thing they can do is to let the coach do his job and be patient. If they didn't realize it by now I doubt they will realize it later

Polymer Bob
01-06-2011, 01:16 PM
If you do a Google news search of "Caroline Zhang", this is what you get.

http://news.google.com/news/search?aq=f&pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=%22caroline+zhang%22

Carolla5501
01-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Well the fun thing about this thread is the "conspiracy theory" It's now all Danny and Micheel Kwan's fault??? LOL! The Zhang's strike me as the kind of family that does what they want regardless of advice from anyone.

(And having worked credentialing at an event... we didn't measure anyone :) They sent us a bio with info in it which had things like thier height. I doubt there is an official USFSA measurement LOL!)

Frau Muller
01-06-2011, 02:37 PM
At this point, the only "podium" that Caroline can realistically seek is to win The Battle of the Zhangs -- Can she end up ahead of Felicia Zhang? Zhang vs Zhang for the Battle of the Zhangs, coming soon! :)

blue_idealist
01-06-2011, 03:08 PM
WHAT?! She just changed this fall, didn't she?!

pinky166
01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Sorry, but I don't see how it can help Caroline. I said it earlier and I can say it again, I think she is done. The problem is not her coaches, it's herself. It takes time to get used to the new coach and she had to do it, I don't know, like 3 times in the past two years? Maybe she and her mother expect miracles but it's not going to happen. The best thing they can do is to let the coach do his job and be patient. If they didn't realize it by now I doubt they will realize it later

I sort of have to agree. If Li Mingzhu was such a bad coach, then how come she has done wonders with Bingwa Geng and Zijun Li in a matter of months? Further, look what Tammy has done with Richard Dornbrush. The coach is not to blame. It will be interesting to see Caroline come nationals, all these changes in such a short period of time...

haribobo
01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
All these 'stick a fork in her' posts are so predictable. She's far from my favorite, but all this doom and gloom makes me wants to root for her just to be contrary. :P

haribobo
01-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I sort of have to agree. If Li Mingzhu was such a bad coach, then how come she has done wonders with Bingwa Geng and Zijun Li in a matter of months? Further, look what Tammy has done with Richard Dornbrush. The coach is not to blame. It will be interesting to see Caroline come nationals, all these changes in such a short period of time...

I don't think anyone from the Zhang camp ever said that Li was a bad coach, or that Gambill was bad either, just that she needed a change. What works for one does not always work for another. Not every Gambill student has turned out as well as Dornbush- she's no miracle worker, and neither is any other coach. Sometimes its good to have the same coach year in and year out, other times its important to get different perspectives and move around til you find a good fit.

bardtoob
01-06-2011, 04:22 PM
If Li Mingzhu was such a bad coach, then how come she has done wonders with Bingwa Geng and Zijun Li in a matter of months?

It's relative to the coaching available in China.

krenseby
01-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Well the fun thing about this thread is the "conspiracy theory" It's now all Danny and Micheel Kwan's fault??? LOL! The Zhang's strike me as the kind of family that does what they want regardless of advice from anyone.

I am surprised that no one considered that the move to Peter might have possibly originated from Tammy Gambill's decision rather than Caroline's. Last time Caroline changed coaches, it was because her coach moved away from the U.S.