PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Nomad
01-06-2011, 01:31 AM
Very important question, someone answer please if you know anything or offer some speculations.

The question is: Did Karen Kwan, Michelle Kwan, or Yuna Kim have anything to do with convincing Zhang to choose Peter? Did Zhang make this choice of her own accord without any contact with the Kwans or Kim?

I'm pretty sure Michelle has better things to do.

icellist
01-06-2011, 01:45 AM
the east west ice palace was caroline' home for many years. i'm not surprised she went back. also, caroline had a good relationship with michelle and karen (none whatsoever with yuna). when i heard the mingzhu li was leaving, i was sure she was going to choose mr oppegard but went to gambill instead. caroline looked happy with gambill and looked like she was improving. i hope caroline keeps gambill as a technical coach. oppegard could just be her main coach. maybe someone from the kwan clan, albeit an in-law, can get caroline to really listen.

i think it was more of a personal move back to artesia though. i heard the area where gambill works is like "ghetto" compared to the palace. does anyone know what is caroline's dad's job? if its in banking, that might be an influence because the east west ice palace is endowed by east west bank.

on another note, i hope karen can help her on the choreography. i love caroline's music selection this season but the choreography stinks. maybe karen can do wonders

all_empty
01-06-2011, 01:51 AM
I'll reserve judgment until I see her skate at Nationals.

Caroline's clearly matured both physically and emotionally. She's certainly capable of making decisions on her own, whether or not she has input from her mom, the Kwans, Shep, or anyone else.

I agree that I don't see as a World team contender, but hope she puts together two performances that she can be pleased with at Nationals and then go back and train hard and adjust to all of the changes.

bardtoob
01-06-2011, 01:51 AM
:watch:

Bring the new batch. This one is done.

Honestly, I could have imagined Zhang in Sochi after 3 straight years with Gambill.

ETA: USC is in the Ghetto, and those spoiled children don't mind it.

MikiAndoFan#1
01-06-2011, 01:52 AM
:eek:

Well, I wish Caroline good luck with Peter! :cheer2:

krenseby
01-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Caroline's clearly matured both physically and emotionally. She's certainly capable of making decisions on her own, whether or not she has input from her mom, the Kwans, Shep, or anyone else.

Well, I wonder why she thought Oppegard would be a good coach for her. I mean, if she is looking to change her jumping and stroking technique, he doesn't seem to be a good match at all. If she were switching to say Rafael Aratunian or Richard Callaghan, then she could get technique guidance. From this coach? Not so sure.

icellist
01-06-2011, 02:01 AM
whoa! i just checked. she grew to 5'5. she's not that small. anyone remember her height pre-puberty or is she taller than that?

dundas
01-06-2011, 04:01 AM
:eek:Wow, totally didn't see this coming! I thought Tammy did wonders for Caroline's technique in a few short months.

).

Wonders? What wonders? She can no longer land any jump reliably. Her weight is out of control for an elite skater... Tammy has been a disaster.
Black = White on Fsuniverse. :lol:

reese
01-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Wonders? What wonders? She can no longer land any jump reliably. Her weight is out of control for an elite skater... Tammy has been a disaster.

Well, Gambill did more to deal with Caroline's mule kick than any previous coach.

miki88
01-06-2011, 04:05 AM
Well, I wonder why she thought Oppegard would be a good coach for her. I mean, if she is looking to change her jumping and stroking technique, he doesn't seem to be a good match at all. If she were switching to say Rafael Aratunian or Richard Callaghan, then she could get technique guidance. From this coach? Not so sure.

That's what I am thinking too. Arutunian would be a more logical choice. But perhaps maybe it's more of the Kwan connection. Caroline has always idolized Michelle so I think she'd like training at her rink. But she has so many issues now that I don't even think fixing all of her jump issues will solve everything.

pinky166
01-06-2011, 04:08 AM
whoa! i just checked. she grew to 5'5. she's not that small. anyone remember her height pre-puberty or is she taller than that?

I'm good with numbers. She was 4'9" when she won Junior Worlds when she was like 13 or 14, then she was 4'11" the next season (07-08), 5'2" in 09-10, 5'3" or 5'4" last season. So she has grown a lot. 5'5" is sort of tall for a skater.

chipso1
01-06-2011, 04:10 AM

Caroline went from arguably the worst 3F in the world to having textbook perfect technique on that jump thanks to Tammi. Her 2A entrance was also faster and her overall speed looked better too.

Doubletoe
01-06-2011, 04:26 AM
I've seen her pretty recently and I have a hard time believing she is 5'5". I think that's her "aspirational" height. ;)
While I have been very impressed by the progress Caroline has made under Tammy Gambill, Artesia has always been her main training rink (and continues to be her main practice rink), and Tammy is in Riverside, an hour away. It's not surprising that that commute would get old, especially now that Caroline has probably heard what Tammy has to say about fixing her jump technique and just needs someone to monitor her as she tries to break the old habits. And of course her relationship with the Kwan family cannot be ignored. She appears to be close to Karen Kwan (even though she has never been Caroline's official coach) and Danny Kwan's influence can never be discounted. In fact, it is rumored that Danny Kwan's interference has been a factor in at least one of her recent coaching changes.

krenseby
01-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Caroline went from arguably the worst 3F in the world to having textbook perfect technique on that jump thanks to Tammi. Her 2A entrance was also faster and her overall speed looked better too.

Dundas = dunce on Fsuniverse :lol:

:P

Actually, I remember reading that it was Kathy Casey that helped revamp Caroline's jump technique and not Tammy Gambill. Does someone else remember reading that?

ks777
01-06-2011, 04:30 AM
I'm good with numbers. She was 4'9" when she won Junior Worlds when she was like 13 or 14, then she was 4'11" the next season (07-08), 5'2" in 09-10, 5'3" or 5'4" last season. So she has grown a lot. 5'5" is sort of tall for a skater.

I noticed that in the US, they don't make you take off your shoes when measuring heights... maybe she was wearing shoes?