PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28

Ziggy
08-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I liked Mirai's program more than Ashley's.

This is a thread on Caroline Zhang. :P

Iceman
08-06-2011, 11:16 PM
http://www.examiner.com/figure-skating-in-national/wagner-nagasu-shine-short-at-glacier-falls-aaron-takes-men-s-short

Iceman
08-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Even with step out on the double ax, Caroline is only 6-7 points behind Mirai and Ashley.
What would have been her approximate score without the fall out? So I would say this is a good start for her for the season.

Polymer Bob
08-07-2011, 01:16 AM
I noticed that Caroline has slimmed down somewhat, and I think she is a little more muscular and fit than last season. She seemed to flow over the ice better. Last season, her skating seemed labored, but I don't see that here. I'd say she is off to a great start. :encore:

Rock2
08-07-2011, 01:44 AM
That could be true, but most US ladies won't get anywhere past Nationals. With only 2-3 spots available, plenty of ladies won't see a top competition anytime soon. If these skaters' only goals were to make it to 4CC/Worlds, most of them would come away deeply discouraged. I have no idea what Caroline's exact goals are, but I imagine they have changed from when she was younger. Maybe she will feel satisfaction from skating a clean long program (or at least cleaner than her recent programs), beating her season's best from last season, placing several spots higher than last year at Nationals, continuing to improve her jump technique, doing better at a GP, etc. Hopefully there are ways for her (and many other skaters) to feel successful and satisfied in competition without necessarily placing in the top 2 and going to Worlds. I enjoyed her SP at this competition and I thought she skated it pretty well.

I'll buy that. I think most skaters need to talk like they are aiming high but hopefully they have some more realistic goals quietly in their hearts. If she does truly believe she's going to world's anytime soon my guess is these next few years will be really hard for her.

michiruwater
08-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Whoever mentioned that Sato is the sort of skater she should emulate was brilliant. I wish she would consider asking Sato to coach her. I think that would be the best step Caroline could make.

burntBREAD
08-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Caroline's FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzk0IFN5PuY

luenatic
08-07-2011, 03:28 AM
My general comment on both the SP and LP... Both programs were full of crossovers and 2 foot skating, not a whole lot of transitions. All the forward XOs were counter clockwise, all the back XOs were clockwise. The same swing rocker was used in both the SP and LP before the 3loop (Loop combo in the LP). She won't like the 2nd mark...

However, I did see improvement on her jumps. I guess she spent her time working on jumps and it showed progress. Good for her!

orbitz
08-07-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm not sure if there was any improvement in the flutz. Perhaps the free leg isn't raised quite as high, but the inside edge and the corkscrew upper body motion are still there. At least she's landing it again this season though.

The loop looks to be her money jump now. It's kind of odd to have a program repeating the flips, loops, and axels but neither a toe nor a sal.

RD
08-07-2011, 03:39 AM
Again, keep in mind this is pre-season. I don't expect full layouts or completeness at this point.

krenseby
08-07-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm not sure if there was any improvement in the flutz. Perhaps the free leg isn't raised quite as high, but the inside edge and the corkscrew upper body motion are still there. At least she's landing it again this season though.

The loop looks to be her money jump now. It's kind of odd to have a program repeating the flips, loops, and axels but neither a toe nor a sal.

I am quite interested in why she is not doing the triple toe. Is she relearning this jump?

LilJen
08-07-2011, 03:55 AM
Whoever mentioned that Sato is the sort of skater she should emulate was brilliant. I wish she would consider asking Sato to coach her. I think that would be the best step Caroline could make.

I agree. She MUST be incredibly determined to have made some big technique changes AND to have stuck it out through a mind-boggling body change the last year and a half--so she should get herself to someone like Sato (some ice dancers) and start learning how to make her skating look effortless.

stjeaskategym
08-07-2011, 05:45 AM

I imagine she'll replace the second 2A with a 3S eventually. She often does 3S in her programs. Has she ever done a solo 3T? Not that I recall.

Marco
08-07-2011, 06:19 AM
She hasn't been doing 3toe2toes since she started attempting 3flip3toes after turning senior.

Since her 2axel is improving but still not good enough, I suggest a layout like this:

3flip2toe
3lutz
3flip (she hasn't hit this much for a while now so should move this forward)
-
3loop2toe2loop
3loop
3sal - 2axel or 2axel - 2axel
3toe

Jeschke
08-07-2011, 08:42 AM
here´s carolines free skate at glacier falls

http://www.youtube.com/user/feraina1#p/u/5/Hzk0IFN5PuY

nice solid work, little mistake at the opening combination and the second flip.
i like this program more, than her short, but there has to be some work at the transitions, the program seems a little bit 'empty'. the takeoff of the lutz seems not much better than before, but solid landing.
i always like her and i like her now even more for still staying in the game.
thinking of the final applause, she´s really a crowds favorite.