PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28

Louis
08-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't know if Caroline will ever get back near the upper ranks, but the improvements she has made thus far are highly commendable.

Agree completely. :respec: I think it's far more likely that Caroline will be fighting for a spot at Sectionals than for any international medals, but the journey her skating has taken is highly respectable. If her greatest result from here on out is a pewter medal at Sectionals, I think she should be just as proud of that as her world junior title. She's a better overall skater for it.

Iceman
08-06-2011, 03:07 PM
In her recent interview, Tara said that slow speed is the easiest fault to correct. Maybe Caroline ought to consult with her about that to see if the problem can be corrected.

Ziggy
08-06-2011, 03:18 PM
In her recent interview, Tara said that slow speed is the easiest fault to correct. Maybe Caroline ought to consult with her about that to see if the problem can be corrected.

It's nowhere near that straightforward.

If you improve your speed, controlling everything gets more difficult.

Try performing whatever elements you're capable of, going much much faster and see what happens. ;)

MikiAndoFan#1
08-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Kudos to Caroline, she has improved so much! I really hope she has a great season! :cheer2:

taf2002
08-06-2011, 03:34 PM
On the same page I noticed also Miraiīs sp:

http://www.youtube.com/user/umbsgoblue#p/u/0/vWrkulGNHfo

The music is a bit heavy sounding, but Mirai does a great job.

i have my doubts about her music choice, too but nice, to see the comnbination as the last jump element, havenīt seen that too often.

but again the same layback spin, for the 3rd or 4th season now. itīs still great, but a skater at her level should do something new, itīs getting boring

She did a great job, although the combo was pretty slow. I hated the music though. But re the layback, hers has wonderful positions & gets her lots of points. Why should she change it? And BTW, who does change theirs? Most skaters have the same layback & the same combo spin in every program. I saw someone upthread asking why Caroline isn't doing her pearl layback.

Pikachuusb
08-06-2011, 04:20 PM
I think Caroline is looking great to start her season. I hope she continues to progress as the season continues. I wish her the best of luck :cheer2:

and I watched Mirai's program, and although Im not a huge Tango lover, she did a wonderful job :) I wish her the best as well :cheer2:

Rock2
08-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I do wish her well...I'm not a hater, but I don't really expect her to go anywhere past qualifying for nationals in this cycle. She'll tool around the second to last flight at nats until Sochi then I wouldn't be surprised if she moved on.

This is a classic case of the puberty monster doing a skater a disservice by highlighting all of her weaknesses... which have already been pointed out. She's no longer a petite skater. She's trying to be pretty on the ice but to me she's a bit lumbering or at least not free flowing; looks like she's skating through peanut butter.

Someone of her current body type will only excite the judges if she turns into a skater of both power and beauty (e.g. Sato) and she doesn't look to be going in that direction. Her labored entry into the flying spin left me wanting to jump onto the ice and help her get over.

OR

Increase speed, slim down and get light on your feet the way Nikodinov did..and then suddenly she went from top six to a national medalist. There are dangers there as we saw from Kirk's blogs. Leads skaters into starving themselves....so I'm not going to recommend anything other than point out what I think will cause the judges to elevate her. As it stands now her results potential will be very limited; no where near podium at nats even with a load of triples. She'll need to do something to distract the judges from the many other girls the USFSA can get behind.

Great to see her hit two triples here..but her slow speed also points to a lack of confidence which may affect her in a more important competition.

orbitz
08-06-2011, 06:29 PM
She's trying to be pretty on the ice but to me she's a bit lumbering or at least not free flowing; looks like she's skating through peanut butter.

Oh that's harsh. I don't think Carolyn was slow at all. I mean she's somewhat slow, because the music is slow, but she's definitely not "skating through peanut butter" slow.

Dragonlady
08-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Oh that's harsh. I don't think Carolyn was slow at all. I mean she's somewhat slow, because the music is slow, but she's definitely not "skating through peanut butter" slow.

Good skaters move very smoothly and effortlessly across the ice regardless of the speed of the music.

Jenna
08-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I have to agree with many of the others here. Caroline seemed slow and the program appeared labored, she hit the jumps though and her technique on both the flip and loop has been improved. I wish her the best, but I think it's pretty clear we're never going to see her in 2007-2008 form again.

feraina
08-06-2011, 08:30 PM
I thought Caroline looked happier and more confident here. As her fan, that makes me happy. Her last season was terrible but necessary for her to retool her techniques, as she will continue to do this season and next. I think she's very realistic about her goals and challenges. She said in her IceNetwork interview that her goal for this season is to show that she can be a contender again.

Caroline had a lot of very special qualities when she was a young teen, and it was not just her flexibility or spins. I think they faded when she got bogged down by technical issues, but I am optimistic that if she can get comfortable with her techniques again that she can re discover those special qualities again.

rfisher
08-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I thought Caroline looked happier and more confident here. As her fan, that makes me happy. Her last season was terrible but necessary for her to retool her techniques, as she will continue to do this season and next. I think she's very realistic about her goals and challenges. She said in her IceNetwork interview that her goal for this season is to show that she can be a contender again.

Caroline had a lot of very special qualities when she was a young teen, and it was not just her flexibility or spins. I think they faded when she got bogged down by technical issues, but I am optimistic that if she can get comfortable with her techniques again that she can re discover those special qualities again.

I hope so too. There are some skaters that just strike a chord with me and she's one of them. I want to see her smile at the end of her skate and not look like she's going to cry.

l'etoile
08-06-2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/umbsgoblue#p/u/0/GZcFzRkoHz0

caroline at glacier falls.
nice program, but very slow, thatīs sad. solid takeoff at the flip, better takeoff at the axel than before. lets see, what will happen in fs.

the user uploaded wagner, hicks and more. hicks is impressive.

Definitely can see the improvement. Rotations seem enough, better than ever. I'm really curious how grand prix tickets will be distributed to US ladies.

good luck caroline:)

stjeaskategym
08-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I do wish her well...I'm not a hater, but I don't really expect her to go anywhere past qualifying for nationals in this cycle.

That could be true, but most US ladies won't get anywhere past Nationals. With only 2-3 spots available, plenty of ladies won't see a top competition anytime soon. If these skaters' only goals were to make it to 4CC/Worlds, most of them would come away deeply discouraged. I have no idea what Caroline's exact goals are, but I imagine they have changed from when she was younger. Maybe she will feel satisfaction from skating a clean long program (or at least cleaner than her recent programs), beating her season's best from last season, placing several spots higher than last year at Nationals, continuing to improve her jump technique, doing better at a GP, etc. Hopefully there are ways for her (and many other skaters) to feel successful and satisfied in competition without necessarily placing in the top 2 and going to Worlds. I enjoyed her SP at this competition and I thought she skated it pretty well.

This is a classic case of the puberty monster doing a skater a disservice by highlighting all of her weaknesses... which have already been pointed out. She's no longer a petite skater. She's trying to be pretty on the ice but to me she's a bit lumbering or at least not free flowing; looks like she's skating through peanut butter.

Someone of her current body type will only excite the judges if she turns into a skater of both power and beauty (e.g. Sato) and she doesn't look to be going in that direction. Her labored entry into the flying spin left me wanting to jump onto the ice and help her get over.

OR

Increase speed, slim down and get light on your feet the way Nikodinov did..and then suddenly she went from top six to a national medalist. There are dangers there as we saw from Kirk's blogs. Leads skaters into starving themselves....so I'm not going to recommend anything other than point out what I think will cause the judges to elevate her. As it stands now her results potential will be very limited; no where near podium at nats even with a load of triples. She'll need to do something to distract the judges from the many other girls the USFSA can get behind.

Many of the deficiencies in her skating have always been there even when she was younger. People have called her slow and labored for years. Her results have often reflected the weaknesses in her skating (ie. 4th place at her first Sr Nationals despite skating very well). I'm not sure if "slimming down" in an attempt to change her body type would do much.

Sparks
08-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I liked Mirai's program more than Ashley's.