PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28

victoriaheidi
04-09-2011, 04:45 PM
I always thought that it was Tara's repeated practice of her 3loop-3loop that hurt her hips, not necessarily her technique.

Yeah, that makes more sense than flawed technique. I'm not sure at what point that became her "signature" and at what point it became too painful/difficult for her, but I'm guessing the former on my list came before the latter and she didn't want to lose her "signature" move.

Not true. When she first retired from competition she said the injury was not the reason she quit but she signed with SOI right after retiring. She wasn't going to tell people she was too injured to compete while asking SOI to pay her huge money. After she retired from SOI, she said that she was told she couldn't continue training at this level BEFORE she went to SLC and she knew going into the Olympics that this would be her one and only shot.

I believe I read this on Wikipedia (for the person who was asking for a source). But do you mean Nagano, not SLC? Or do you mean that she knew that she couldn't train through two Olympic cycles?

Susan M
04-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Have to agree about Lam though, although didn't Tara Lipinski have very similar jumping technique?
Some of Tara's jumps were fairly small and a lot of her success depended on her ability to rotate really rapidly. Had she been willing/able to continue competing after Nagano, I think we would have seen her jumping consistency begin to fall off. She didn't grow all that much, but she did mature. At 15 she still had a pretty child-like shape.

But Tara did have fairly bad technique on some of her jumps and she would have been nailed for it under COP. She was the original poster child for badly flutzed lutz, and her jumps were sometimes under-rotated. With today's technical callers and replays, I think some of those 3-3 combinations would have been downgraded, and that problem would have gotten worse had she continued past age 15.

My biggest pet peeve about Tara's jumps (apart from her egregious axel takeoff) was how severely she pre-rotated the loop jump on combinations with loop as the 2nd jump. The loop was often pre-rotated by a full half turn, taking off forward.

I guess I've strayed away from the main issue, though. My point, FWIW, is that no one should look to Tara as an example of a small, young skater whose technique was bad but still good enough to get her to the top. It would not get a skater there today.

reese
04-09-2011, 05:55 PM
This fluff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejuXEcFJKg) from 2003 talks about Tara's hip injury.

AJ Skatefan
04-09-2011, 07:09 PM
After she retired from SOI, she said that she was told she couldn't continue training at this level BEFORE she went to SLC and she knew going into the Olympics that this would be her one and only shot.

I thought the olympic team in SLC was Michelle, Sarah, and Sasha.

AJ Skatefan
04-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Well, Tara herself has repeatedly claimed that the injury was not the primary factor of her quitting, so I dunno...

I know. I still remain confused....

http://www.taralipinski.com/fans_qa.htm

AxelAnnie
04-10-2011, 05:34 AM
This fluff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejuXEcFJKg) from 2003 talks about Tara's hip injury.

Wow. Thanks so much for that clip. I had not seen it.

VIETgrlTerifa
04-10-2011, 06:57 AM
The Tara hip story has changed so much throughout the years.

RD
04-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Wow. Thanks so much for that clip. I had not seen it.

Same here. During which telecast did this air?

reese
04-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Same here. During which telecast did this air?

ABC's airing of the exhibitions from 2003 Nats. They were in Dallas that year, and Tara was originally from Texas, sorta.

RD
04-10-2011, 08:03 AM
ABC's airing of the exhibitions from 2003 Nats. They were in Dallas that year, and Tara was originally from Texas, sorta.

OK, that makes sense. Yes, she was from Sugar Land, a suburb of Houston.

IceJunkie
04-10-2011, 09:24 AM
I am still waiting for that tell-all book from Tara.

I doubt it will happen since she's made her way back into the sport and has to keep up appearances if she wants commentating gigs or to do shows.

skatingfanfun
04-11-2011, 12:35 AM
I just learned a phrase "a flash in the pan" and I tought about Caroline Zhang:(

Iceman
04-11-2011, 05:49 AM
More recently, in a 2010 statement on her web site, Lipinski denied that her hip injury was a factor in her decision to retire or that she suffered particular pain during her amateur career beyond "the norm for any athlete".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_Lipinski

victoriaheidi
04-11-2011, 05:56 AM
I am still waiting for that tell-all book from Tara.

That sounds like it would be so good...

RD
04-11-2011, 06:10 AM
When did a thread about Caroline Zhang turn into a thread about Tara Lipinski?? :lol: