PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28

Sylvia
04-07-2011, 11:28 PM
I wonder if Caroline plans to compete at Golden West (last summer was the first time in a while that she skipped it) or another club competition (maybe Glacier Falls Aug. 4-7) this summer? If she receives a GP assignment she would be at Champs Camp (Aug. 24-28, 2011) again. 2011 Golden West dates are over Labor Day weekend end -- Sept. 1-4.

barbk
04-07-2011, 11:40 PM
You know I've noticed many skaters are not in peak form during the earliest competitions of a new season. Does this mean that their off-season training merely aims at skill maintenance but doesn't prepare them for competition? (Also, do some skaters have a reduced training schedule and/or some time, whether days or weeks, away from training altogether? Some may skate in shows, others may study or travel.)

Quite a few skaters don't look to be in great shape at the start of the season, and often exhibit stamina problems. I've never quite understood the stamina issue, since you'd think that the summer training ought to get them into fabulous cardiovascular shape, but it seems to be pretty common to see skaters run out of steam early in the season, and not so much later in the season. (Some also look physically trimmer later in the season on a consistent basis.)

pinky166
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I think some people start out really strong at the beginning of the season. Examples would be Yuna, Adam, Christina, and this season, Alissa and Carolina. Others get a slow start and peak later like Mao, Rachael, Mirai, etc. I think it really just depends on the skater and how intense their summer training regimens are compared to the rest of the year.

Dragonlady
04-08-2011, 01:20 AM
You know I've noticed many skaters are not in peak form during the earliest competitions of a new season. Does this mean that their off-season training merely aims at skill maintenance but doesn't prepare them for competition? (Also, do some skaters have a reduced training schedule and/or some time, whether days or weeks, away from training altogether? Some may skate in shows, others may study or travel.)

No, it's because they're skating new programs, with new tricks. Off season training is all about developing new skills and new programs. None of the skaters are reducing their training in the summer months. Other than a couple of weeks off at the end of the season, skaters don't travel or study. Unless they're injured, the skaters are working for the new season.

Very few skaters tour but they all try to do local shows to earn money. Those shows are on the weekends, when the skaters aren't training.

Coaches tapered training for the skaters to ensure they can peak for Worlds at the correct time. Czisny was not alone in that regard. They cannot maintain a high level of focus and intensity for 6 weeks. If they tried, they would be well past their "best before date" by the time they got to Moscow.

krenseby
04-08-2011, 01:45 AM
Quite a few skaters don't look to be in great shape at the start of the season, and often exhibit stamina problems. I've never quite understood the stamina issue, since you'd think that the summer training ought to get them into fabulous cardiovascular shape, but it seems to be pretty common to see skaters run out of steam early in the season, and not so much later in the season. (Some also look physically trimmer later in the season on a consistent basis.)

Barbk, I've noticed these stamina problems at the beginning of the season as well.

Dragonlady
04-08-2011, 03:39 AM
When skaters learn programs, they learn them in chunks, and they skate slowly, emphasizing the placement of the elements, and the timing of the program. They stop often and rework segments endlessly. This type of training is not condusive to building stamina. Only after the program has been committed to memory and they can do full run-throughs at speed can they build stamina.

The focus on summer training is improving their technical skills and learning programs. Speed, flow, stamina, are things to be worked on AFTER everything else is in place for the programs. Dancers and Pairs skaters do more of this kind of work than singles skaters, but that's because part of their technical is matching speed and lines and that takes mileage.

Sylvia
04-08-2011, 03:12 PM
The focus on summer training is improving their technical skills and learning programs. Speed, flow, stamina, are things to be worked on AFTER everything else is in place for the programs.
AFAIK, there are singles skaters who work on speed, flow, and stamina every day in the summer as well. I'm hoping Caroline Zhang is! :)

tangerine_dream
04-09-2011, 02:20 AM
Siraj's technique isn't that bad, she at least gets more height on her jumps than Vanessa, so she still might have a shot at holding on to her jumps in the long run. Have to agree about Lam though, although didn't Tara Lipinski have very similar jumping technique? Didn't hurt her. Also there's a chance Vanessa stays really tiny, not everyone goes through a big growthspurt and drastic body changes like Caroline did.

It didn't hurt her because she was 15 when she won everything and quit skating. No one else will do that- if only because they put new age limits in place after her win.

pinky166
04-09-2011, 04:18 AM
It didn't hurt her because she was 15 when she won everything and quit skating. No one else will do that- if only because they put new age limits in place after her win.

Well, fair point. But the second point I made is more valid, Caroline's body changed drastically over the past few years, and that doesn't happen to everyone. There is a chance Vanessa and/or Yasmin could stay very small, like Kristi Yamaguchi and Fumie Suguri did. Kanako has technique issues but at least for now, she's still very tiny, so it's not really effecting her success, and she already did have a growthspurt, it's just that she was even smaller before. Puberty is kinder to some than others.

Dragonlady
04-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Tara's jumping technique didn't hurt her? Are you not aware that Tara retired because she was too injured to continue training? That she had major hip reconstructive surgery not long after she retired and that by 2002 she had to walk her leg of the Olympic torch relay because she couldn't run it?

Tara is the poster child for destroying your body through jumping.

RD
04-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Well, Tara herself has repeatedly claimed that the injury was not the primary factor of her quitting, so I dunno...

Dragonlady
04-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Well, Tara herself has repeatedly claimed that the injury was not the primary factor of her quitting, so I dunno...

Not true. When she first retired from competition she said the injury was not the reason she quit but she signed with SOI right after retiring. She wasn't going to tell people she was too injured to compete while asking SOI to pay her huge money. After she retired from SOI, she said that she was told she couldn't continue training at this level BEFORE she went to SLC and she knew going into the Olympics that this would be her one and only shot.

Triple Butz
04-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Not true. When she first retired from competition she said the injury was not the reason she quit but she signed with SOI right after retiring. She wasn't going to tell people she was too injured to compete while asking SOI to pay her huge money. After she retired from SOI, she said that she was told she couldn't continue training at this level BEFORE she went to SLC and she knew going into the Olympics that this would be her one and only shot.

source?

PUNKPRINCESS
04-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I always thought that it was Tara's repeated practice of her 3loop-3loop that hurt her hips, not necessarily her technique.

pinky166
04-09-2011, 04:09 PM
I always thought that it was Tara's repeated practice of her 3loop-3loop that hurt her hips, not necessarily her technique.

I was under this impression as well. Caroline's technique was far worse than either Siraj or Lam's is and she was hit very hard by the puberty monster, so her fall from the top is not that surprising. The same thing could happen to Vanessa and/or Yasmin, but it won't necessarily will.