PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

icellist
03-28-2011, 05:45 AM
i wonder why some people go for the less generic choreographers are even the japanese choreographers that do great work with team japan.
i'm just glad that Caroline is working out or lifting weights. Before, she looked like a stick. i hope that the strength training helps her speed.

i'm still hopeful that caroline will bounce back one of these years. If Alissa could do it, Caroline could too, but then, I can only see her with a 4th place results in the GP series in the future if she does come back because of her technique and the deep field. She has the spins and edged jumps. She is capable of transitions but doesn't do them. She needs work on speed and toe pick jumps.

If anything go back to some of her old programs if training for new ones get in the way of fixing her technique such as her Spanish Gypsy SP and Meditation of Thais LP. Or just go with Mrs. Oppegard. No need to fly around if a choreographer is in the same rink. Some programs do no justice for her. Same for her jump layouts. For her to do more transitions as well as spirals in the FS. Her SP should be 3L + 2 'tano Toe, 3F, 2A. Her FS should incorporate more easier jumps and sequence jumps using 2A instead because her weird 2A technique makes it more manageable. Soooo looking forwards to her next season. She's such a wildcard!

She's definitely looked happier this season not caring so much about scores and rank. If she still enjoys skating (and I think she does), she should continue to do it, and as members of FSU, we should encourage people to skate more anyway :3

Dragonlady
03-28-2011, 06:50 AM
i'm still hopeful that caroline will bounce back one of these years. If Alissa could do it, Caroline could too, but then, I can only see her with a 4th place results in the GP series in the future if she does come back because of her technique and the deep field. She has the spins and edged jumps. She is capable of transitions but doesn't do them. She needs work on speed and toe pick jumps.

The difference between Alyssa and Caroline is that Alyssa's basic skating and technique have always been good. She had problems with her jumps which Jason and Yuka solved for her with some minor tweaks.

Caroline's problem isn't lack of speed, it's poor technique in her basic skating. Her lack of speed is the result of poor technique in her stroking and basic skating which means going back to square one and learning to skate properly so that her blade generates speed effortlessly.

As far as her jumps are concerned, her edge jumps are NOT fine. All of her jumps need to be reworked because she has no spring and therefore no height or ice coverage on her jumps. Caroline gets very little positive GoE on ANY jumps. Again, she has to go right back to the beginning and relearn how to spring into the air.

It's a big job she's undertaking. It will take time, patience and a lot of hard work to make these changes.

RD
03-28-2011, 07:09 AM
CZhang was quite brave to go back to the drawing board this season. But there is still a LOT of work ahead. Somehow I wonder if she'll make it through. I wouldn't be surprised if she just chose to retire and move on.

It's times like these when you really find out what you're made of.

Polymer Bob
03-28-2011, 12:16 PM
All of her jumps need to be reworked because she has no spring and therefore no height or ice coverage on her jumps. Caroline gets very little positive GoE on ANY jumps. Again, she has to go right back to the beginning and relearn how to spring into the air.

It is very easy to forget that Caroline has gotten better results in the past with the same technique. I suspect most of her problem now is related to strength / fitness level.

miki88
03-28-2011, 02:26 PM
I think if she continues to work hard, there's a possibility that she could have a respectable career in skating. But I don't think she'll ever be one of the top skaters.

pinky166
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Caroline will likely have to do regionals and sectionals this upcoming season and qualify for nationals the old fashioned way. There's a decent chance she will get 1 GP assignment, but I really doubt she'll get 2, especially where the entries might be cut down from 12 to 10, although potentially with 1 GP and 1 senior B (which realistically is probably what she'll get) she may receive a bye through regionals and/or sectionals if she gets lucky with the timing of those competitions. Not that she should have any issues qualifying for nationals, but I'm surprised she's continuing knowing that she will probably have to qualify in the first place after receiving byes for the past several seasons.

Polymer Bob
03-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Not that she should have any issues qualifying for nationals, but I'm surprised she's continuing knowing that she will probably have to qualify in the first place after receiving byes for the past several seasons.

But Alissa had to qualify and she continued.

EDIT : And 2 Grand Prix events are still not entirely out of the question.

Sylvia
03-28-2011, 05:58 PM
There's nothing shameful about having to compete at Regionals and/or Sectionals.

Pikachuusb
03-28-2011, 06:53 PM
I hope she continues with her process and I wish her the best of luck :cheer2:

RD
03-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Not that [Zhang] should have any issues qualifying for nationals, but I'm surprised she's continuing knowing that she will probably have to qualify in the first place after receiving byes for the past several seasons.

As PB pointed out, didn't deter Czisny from going for it.

I'd be curious to ask the skaters whether this is really as big a deal as fans make it out to be. Of course I'm sure they'd rather travel the world and do GPs than do the local qualifying rounds, but I'd like to get some insight.

Jammers
03-28-2011, 07:11 PM
It's time to let some of the younger skaters have their shot. Carline should NOT get 2 Grand Prix event with the way she is skating. Same with Alexe Gillies. They have underachieved for too long to be rewarded yet again.

RD
03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
I completely agree about not giving Gilles 2 GPs again (With all due respect). I think Zhang should probably get 1 though.

barbk
03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Gilles shouldn't get any unless and until she performs very well at Nationals. Her outings this year were an embarrassment.

I hope Zhang gets at least one, and possibly two.

pinky166
03-28-2011, 08:54 PM
As PB pointed out, didn't deter Czisny from going for it.

I'd be curious to ask the skaters whether this is really as big a deal as fans make it out to be. Of course I'm sure they'd rather travel the world and do GPs than do the local qualifying rounds, but I'd like to get some insight.

Czisny competed at sectionals but also had 2 GPs this season, her having to go to sectionals was just due to the timing of her GP events, and then of course bombing nationals last season. But she still had 2 GPs, and went to the GPF, so it's a different situation.

And I really doubt Caroline will be getting 2 GP events. 1 event is pretty likely as last season's 4CC bronze should keep her WS high enough for that, but I'd be surprised if she got 2 unless she's skating really well and gets the host spot at SA. Her SB score this season is pretty low and will likely drop further down the list after worlds.

Jammers
03-28-2011, 09:24 PM
I really hope Mirai gets SA next year. It's been since 2009 since she skated at SA.