PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Polymer Bob
02-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Right-o. I remember someone on this board even writing, during the 2006 Olympics period, "Japan may have Mao and Korea Yu-Na [for 2010], but wait until our own Caroline and Mirai become age eligible." So there was certainly that expectation in 2006.

During the 2006 Olympics, Mirai was a novice who had placed 5th at her Regional the previous November, and had never set foot on Sectional ice. She never made it out of Regionals until the fall of 2006 when she won her Regional and Sectional.

Caroline had just placed 8th as a junior at Nationals.

Help me understand. Why would anyone have hyped them during the 2006 Olympics? :confused:

falling_dance
02-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Caroline had just placed 8th as a junior at Nationals.

Help me understand. Why would anyone have hyped them during the 2006 Olympics? :confused:

Zhang's remarkable spinning ability was spotlighted in the State Farm "Little Girls Have Big Dreams Too" feature of ABC's 2006 US Nats broadcast.

fan
03-27-2011, 08:00 PM
continuing next season. working in toronto with david wilson. new programs look like they'll develop into something gorgeous..

Iceman
03-27-2011, 08:55 PM
I suspect Yu-na will end her competitive career after this year's Worlds, so Caroline may not be training alongside her, but if she does, I think Caroline will, rather than being inspired, find herself demoralized by how much work lies ahead of her----and then will come the announcement that she is retiring to become.......

kittyjake5
03-27-2011, 09:03 PM
^I don't think YuNa will have anything to do with any decisions that
Caroline may make about her career. Really.

jjane45
03-27-2011, 09:21 PM
continuing next season. working in toronto with david wilson. new programs look like they'll develop into something gorgeous..

Thank you for sharing. Have you seen her skating lately?
Caroline is on the roster of Skaters Care benefit show on April 3rd, hope we'll hear reports!

martyross
03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

no more Nichol?
interesting. I wish the other US ladies do the same.

Polymer Bob
03-27-2011, 10:05 PM
I suspect Yu-na will end her competitive career after this year's Worlds, so Caroline may not be training alongside her, but if she does, I think Caroline will, rather than being inspired, find herself demoralized by how much work lies ahead of her----and then will come the announcement that she is retiring to become.......

If Caroline hasn't been demoralized by what has already happened, Yu-Na won't bother her in the least.

reese
03-27-2011, 10:28 PM
no more Nichol?
interesting. I wish the other US ladies do the same.

Well... a move to Wilson isn't exactly groundbreaking. I wish more American ladiezzz would try new, less generic choreographers.

Sylvia
03-28-2011, 01:02 AM
no more Nichol?
Caroline didn't use Lori Nichol this season (2010-11). Her programs were choreographed by Tom Dickson (SP) and David Wilson (FS).

Jarrett
03-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Caroline was in my 24 hour fitness class in Irvine this week. She didn't look any worse or less but she was barely doing 2.5 plates (each side) on her bar and was having issues keeping up with even that weight. She probably took the most breaks of all the people in the class, after me of course because I hate squats. :shuffle:

Coco
03-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Caroline was in my 24 hour fitness class in Irvine this week. She didn't look any worse or less but she was barely doing 2.5 plates (each side) on her bar and was having issues keeping up with even that weight. She probably took the most breaks of all the people in the class, after me of course because I hate squats. :shuffle:

I love tidbits as much as anyone else, but I have to say :) in fairness, we have no idea what kind of workout she'd done earlier in the day.

orbitz
03-28-2011, 03:42 AM

I think Caroline would probably appreciate it if she can work out in a gym like everyone else without some stranger keeping an eye on her taking notes and then reporting it, IMO.

Jarrett
03-28-2011, 03:56 AM
I think Caroline would probably appreciate it if she can work out in a gym like everyone else without some stranger keeping an eye on her taking notes and then reporting it, IMO.

She came in and stood right next to the instructor in the front of the class after it had started. I wasn't following her around and it is little distracting to the rest of the class when people in the front row stop multiple times to fix their hair into a bun and sip water, it was hard to not notice. Either way, I don't really care just posting in a Caroline Zhang thread about the skater. She is working out at least. :slinkaway

Very true Coco!

victoriaheidi
03-28-2011, 05:24 AM
If Caroline hasn't been demoralized by what has already happened, Yu-Na won't bother her in the least.

Caroline isn't even 18 for another few months, is she? I don't know that she hasn't been demoralized (triple negative, people, from the girl who spent all morning taking an AP Lit practice test! I'm exhausted). Does she have control over her own career? Isn't it more of her parents' decision (given the family situation)? I can't say that she's ever seemed to me to be in control over her skating life.

ETA: that sounded negative. I don't WANT her to retire. I don't ever want to say that a skater SHOULD retire. I actually like Caroline a lot, and I love watching videos of her from way back when. I just feel...kind of like she's lost and doesn't know what to do. Not that I have any way of knowing how she feels.