PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Yazmeen
02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm going to support Dragonlady in that I remember hearing hype about Caroline well before 2007 from people who either saw her at her rink or saw her compete at the regional/sectional level and during her Juvenile/Intermediate/Novice days. This was on more than one skating board and it was "the next Kwan," and "will blow everyone away" and can't wait till she moves up to Senior, etc. etc. She had a decent sized and vocal fan base before she ever got to the (Senior) National Championships. Can I produce evidence? No, it's too far back, but I clearly remember reading it and thinking "oh, here we go again" remembering one of the first "next Kwans," namely Elizabeth Kwon, who was the 1998 Novice Champ and was wanted to win "two OGMs" but then flamed out with growth and injury issues.

AxelAnnie
02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Tara is a very bad example because there was no such thing as GOE as there was no COP in place at the time. She would have done really well to get +GOE on her jumps because of lack of height, edge issues with her lutz and other minor things. Tara did very well with what she had but the most important thing is that she won her World and Olympic title and then retired. She never had to skate with a new body. Of course she grew some but she NEVER skated at a major competition with an adult body. It is impossible to say how she would have done. I'm not trying to turn this into another Tara/Michelle thread but I'm just pointing out that Lam shouldn't be looking to Tara's success and thinking she can achieve the same results in this day and age and after growing.

Knowing Tara.....she would have done just fine with an adult body. And she world the World Professional Title when it was worth something. Never losing her triples.

Sasha'sSpins
02-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I thought she'd be better off doing pairs since day 1 but now that she's a bit taller and heavier than the average pair girl skater it might be hard to find a partner who's big enough for her but still skates slow :P

Actually, I was thinking a male partner might force her to skate a little faster. And she wouldn't be the first ladies pair skater that was not whippet thin. There have been exceptions.

berthesghost
02-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Knowing Tara.....she would have done just fine with an adult body. And she world the World Professional Title when it was worth something. Never losing her triples.that's a bit of a stretch. Just a few years after her OGM and she, while still a teen, basically had a Kerrigan spiral, a low sit spin, a 3s and a 3t and that was it, over and over again in almost every program. Compared that to Kristi or Midori, and it's :lol::lol::lol: But she did do better than Roz. ;)

ETA: can I ask you to clarify "when it was worth something"? I'd stopped watching it by 98, so not sure why the last 3 of Yuka's 4 titles were so bad to warrant such a remark. Were all 3 to "hatful of stars"? :lol: Back in the day, Yuka had skills Tara could only dream of possessing.

Polymer Bob
02-08-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm going to support Dragonlady in that I remember hearing hype about Caroline well before 2007 from people who either saw her at her rink or saw her compete at the regional/sectional level and during her Juvenile/Intermediate/Novice days.

It is possible that she was hyped before 2007, but the disagreement is over when her family hired an agent.

stjeaskategym
02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
About Zhang's parents hiring a p.r. firm before Caroline set foot on int'l ice:
Creepy indeed. Just like her mother inventing the name "The Pearl" and hyping that move. As if the skater would be hyper-flexible for the rest of her life. Very sad when one sees her struggling to do it now...just a shadow of what it was, with fully-grown, muscular legs, etc

I thought the pearl spin looked good at Nationals. She had had a bad back injury for a while, so that was probably a main reason why that spin disappeared for an extended time.

It is possible that she was hyped before 2007, but the disagreement is over when her family hired an agent.

If her agent was hired as early as 2006, I doubt anyone will find "proof" of it online. She wasn't on the radar yet, so there isn't going to be a writeup somewhere that publicizes it. The people who believe that an agent was hired that early may have just heard it from someone with ties to Caroline.

pinky166
02-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Actually, I was thinking a male partner might force her to skate a little faster. And she wouldn't be the first ladies pair skater that was not whippet thin. There have been exceptions.

Yeah but most of the pairs skaters that aren't stick thin are really short. Caroline is 5'5" (or claims to be), and well it seems like the taller the pairs girls are the thinner they have to be, and at the very tallest pairs girls are 5'6" so just an inch taller BUT Wesley Campbell is looking for a partner and he's 6'4" and buff so he'd be a good match.

Sylvia
02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Pet peeve of mine: Why do some people think that a singles skater (male or female) should go into pairs if their singles career isn't flourishing? Not everyone has the temperament or ability to succeed in pairs. Wesley Campbell is a clockwise rotator, BTW.

Sasha'sSpins
02-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah but most of the pairs skaters that aren't stick thin are really short. Caroline is 5'5" (or claims to be), and well it seems like the taller the pairs girls are the thinner they have to be, and at the very tallest pairs girls are 5'6" so just an inch taller BUT Wesley Campbell is looking for a partner and he's 6'4" and buff so he'd be a good match.

Wow-I didn't realize Caroline had grown so tall!

Pet peeve of mine: Why do some people think that a singles skater (male or female) should go into pairs if their singles career isn't flourishing? Not everyone has the temperament or ability to succeed in pairs. Wesley Campbell is a clockwise rotator, BTW.

Wishful thinking I guess. I wished the same for Sasha when she could never (except maybe once) do a clean LP.

Wesley's a clockwise rotator true but Rudi and Kristi jumped in opposite directions. It's possible for such pair skaters to look good if the program is well choreographed-and the jumps/spins well-practiced.

victoriaheidi
02-09-2011, 12:44 AM

Yeah, I don't think this would work well for Caroline, especially if her mother is as controlling as everyone says.

loopey
02-09-2011, 03:34 AM
T H A N K Y O U ! ! ! ! ! :respec:

lakewood
02-09-2011, 04:52 AM

As I remember, Caroline-hype began at around the end of 2006. Even Korean YuNa fans knew about her and YuNa mentioned Caroline's name in her Jan. 2007 interview.

pinky166
02-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Wow-I didn't realize Caroline had grown so tall!

Wishful thinking I guess. I wished the same for Sasha when she could never (except maybe once) do a clean LP.

Wesley's a clockwise rotator true but Rudi and Kristi jumped in opposite directions. It's possible for such pair skaters to look good if the program is well choreographed-and the jumps/spins well-practiced.

Most people who know Caroline say they have a hard time believing she is 5'5" and is likely shorter, but I doubt that listing is too inflated.

As for pairs vs. singles, if a singles skater is not so strong in the jump department but is otherwise very talented and flexible, and is reasonably petite, then pairs often is a good switch. I mean Katarina Gerboldt was going nowhere in singles and after just about a year she and Enbert are already one of the top pair teams in Europe. I know some people don't like pairs being seen as a dumping ground for singles skaters who can't really jump but that's often how it worked out. Why do you think so many girls start out doing singles and pairs and then switch to just pairs? Pairs is definitely hard and you need to be fearless to do well, but in terms of technical content, you can rise to the top with a lot less of it than you need to rise to the top as a singles skater.

Frau Muller
02-09-2011, 08:24 PM
As I remember, Caroline-hype began at around the end of 2006. Even Korean YuNa fans knew about her and YuNa mentioned Caroline's name in her Jan. 2007 interview.

Right-o. I remember someone on this board even writing, during the 2006 Olympics period, "Japan may have Mao and Korea Yu-Na [for 2010], but wait until our own Caroline and Mirai become age eligible." So there was certainly that expectation in 2006.

Maximillian
02-09-2011, 08:26 PM

For the same reason they usually don't suggest that they become ice dancers: similar skill set, add to that-obvious athletic ability since they are being discussed in a public forum in the first place and a desire to see them succeed in some way in a sport they obviously have devoted their lives to doing.