PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Polymer Bob
02-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Zhang is done from what i've seen.

From what I saw last season, Alissa and Ryan were done then.

Ziggy
02-02-2011, 12:34 AM
We've seen before (read Cohen) that, in the end, there's an extreme flexibility in GP assignments. Going either way, imo.

There is a rule that guarantees spots to past World and Olympic medallists who are returning to competition. That's what Cohen could benefit from.

This has nothing to do with Zhang.

chipso1
02-02-2011, 12:38 AM
And she will still get some mileage out of last year's 4CC bronze.

I wouldn't count on it. After this season, the ISU World Standings points from 2009-10 will be reduced to only 70 percent.

Coco
02-02-2011, 12:52 AM
The changes she had to make were DRASTIC, as were the changes in her own body. If she's able to feel like she's making progress, I really hope she gives it one more season, at least.

burntBREAD
02-02-2011, 04:05 AM
What do you mean by that exactly? Did she complete her jumps better in the practice sessions or something else perhaps?

Sylvia was present at the practice sessions for Nationals, and tweeted skaters' run-throughs and practice conditions, and judging from that, Caroline was actually doing quite well.

MacMadame
02-02-2011, 06:18 AM
She looked so miserable during the program though. It was really painful to watch.

If she really is that miserable skating, I'd rather she retired, then put herself through even more misery.

stjeaskategym
02-02-2011, 07:03 AM
I don't think she looks miserable when she skates as much as it looks like her programs are kind of choreographically empty and she's just going through the motions. Her main focus seems to be the jumps right now, and I can understand that. What she had been doing in practice all week (she was doing well) and even what she put out on competition ice is better than what she was doing on the GP circuit, so that's good for her.

Loves_Shizuka
02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
This may sound obvious, but I think anyone would look miserable if their career was going the way Caroline's is. It's not that I don't think she loves skating - I think it's that she doesn't love skating like this. Again obvious, because who would?!

I've said this before, but I really feel for Caroline because she's basically gone from being thee "it" girl to being middle of the pack in her own country. That must be so hard to deal with, especially as a teenage girl in a highly competitive atmosphere. Her skating always had glaring issues but she was so adored when she burst onto the junior scene - AND was so successful, that it's totally understandable she expected great things from her senior career. Understandably, with her faults, that hasn't happened, and I'd imagine that'd really knock the wind out of your sails, and be pretty demoralising. So now she has to pick herself up, pretty much from the bottom, rebuild her body, rebuild her skating and rebuild her mentality and confidence. This is ALOT to take on. It's no wonder she looks out of shape, unhappy and as though she's "going through the motions." If she loves skating enough, wants it, and is committed, I say give her a few years to really get her shit together before we "stick a fork in her." I'm not even necessarily an uber, but I really wish her the best.

Ziggy
02-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Good post Loves_Shizuka.

Caroline's story could be used as a model case to explain to coaches while working on all the basics and ensuring technique is correct are extremely important.

You might think you can get away with certain flaws and imperfections but sooner or later they'll come to bite you in the ass.

flyingsit
02-02-2011, 01:15 PM
From what I saw last season, Alissa and Ryan were done then.

Funny, considering that Ryan placed second in the free skate at last year's nationals. Remember that he skated at Worlds with a broken bone in his foot.

Yazmeen
02-02-2011, 02:59 PM
LovesShizuka, I totally agree.

During her LP, I thought Caroline looked perfectly happy until she started making mistakes, and then you could see the fear come back into her eyes and her skating quality diminished. I was never a big fan during her "star" days, her mannerisms annoyed the hell out of me, but now I can see how hard she is working and that she really appears to want to do better. Last year her look said "get this over with." This year it was "I've worked hard, I want this, but it just isn't quite coming together and it scares me." There's a big difference between the two. I hope she competes at least another year and sees what happens. After Alissa's Lazarus-like rise, I'm certainly not going to suggest Caroline is done. I think she has a real chance of coming back if she continues to work hard, gets in shape with her new body, and channels the voices in her head to be positive.

loulou
02-02-2011, 03:30 PM
There is a rule that guarantees spots to past World and Olympic medallists who are returning to competition. That's what Cohen could benefit from.

This has nothing to do with Zhang.

I know this rules applies to US championships. But I didn't think a similar one was for GP assignments too.

I somewhat remember people last year writing Cohen didn't have the right to two GP assignments, and that, in theory, she was only supposed to eventually be given the SA spot US could reserve her.

Am I wrong? Is there a rule that entitles reigning olympic and world mesdalists to two GP assignments?

query5
02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
okay caroline zhang is below 24 in world rankings, season rankings she is low and her
total overall score right now is 69-they only take the top 75 for season best scores for 1 gp assignment. so caroline zhang more likely will sit out because their is junior world scores, world scores to come in for skaters to improve on and her highest is a 133. in other words they butchered her scores so she can't compete.
sorry but like i stated earlier in previous post, unfortunately her career is over.
they did hold up her pcs when she jumped up, like-rachel,mirai, ashley, agnes, even courtney hick.s
even gao pcs was a bit low in free skate and definetely low in short.
agnes was a bit high. i don't think agnes should have been a point higher in pcs in free skate. was n't much difference.
caroline zhang would be lucky to get one --she would need usfsa helf to do it, and they haven't helped so far.

Ziggy
02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Am I wrong? Is there a rule that entitles reigning olympic and world mesdalists to two GP assignments?

The rule definitely exists. It has been introduced recently.

Thinking about it now, I am not sure if it guarantees two spots, but definitely one. HW will surely be able to correct me on that. ;)

Plushenko benefited from that too. I think he actually was able to get 2 spots but chose to only do one because he didn't feel fully ready?

barbk
02-02-2011, 06:09 PM
okay caroline zhang is below 24 in world rankings, season rankings she is low and her
total overall score right now is 69-they only take the top 75 for season best scores for 1 gp assignment. so caroline zhang more likely will sit out because their is junior world scores, world scores to come in for skaters to improve on and her highest is a 133. in other words they butchered her scores so she can't compete.
sorry but like i stated earlier in previous post, unfortunately her career is over.
they did hold up her pcs when she jumped up, like-rachel,mirai, ashley, agnes, even courtney hick.s
even gao pcs was a bit low in free skate and definetely low in short.
agnes was a bit high. i don't think agnes should have been a point higher in pcs in free skate. was n't much difference.
caroline zhang would be lucky to get one --she would need usfsa helf to do it, and they haven't helped so far.

But are scores as high this year as in past years with the changes made at the last Congress?