PDA

View Full Version : Caroline Zhang changes coaches to Peter Oppegard

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Frau Muller
01-31-2011, 04:31 PM
Any guesses on who will be the next coach? Anybody left?

At least she didn't wear a Pweety Pwincess dwess this year.

oleada
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Federations do this with great regularity. If a skater retires, they remove them from the list. If a team breaks up, they're removed from the list. If the skater is out with injury, they're removed from the list, and if a skater doesn't make the national team, they're removed from the list.

I know Canada & Russia and the US have done it, but skaters like Caroline & Alexe had bad seasons last year, and still went to the GP. Same for Kristine Musademba, who wasn't even at Nationals.

rfisher
01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
I think she could potentially be a fabulous pairs skater!

I still want to see her continue in singles, though. I think she's on the upswing again and making nice improvements. I'm hoping by the end of next season we will see more of the old Caroline (or should I say new?) again. I have faith in her still, she shocked me at her improvements this year I didn't think she had it in her.

I thought she was much improved as well and is clearly committed to doing so. She had a long way to go and there was no way to accomplish it in one season. She's a fighter and I have a soft spot for her. I wish her well.

barbk
01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
I thought she was much improved as well and is clearly committed to doing so. She had a long way to go and there was no way to accomplish it in one season. She's a fighter and I have a soft spot for her. I wish her well.

I agree. It is good news for Caroline that her season is done -- she has a lot to work on, and if she'd managed through a miracle and a meltdown of other senior ladies to make the World team she'd have two months less time to rework some basics.

I like what Jason & Yuka have done with Czisny's jumps, and I think that there's still plenty of hope for Caroline. Alissa's jumps look so much more secure this year -- in prior years, even when she landed them it often seemed like a miracle, because there was just something off. Caroline's flip has improved so, so much this year. I hope the lutz will be next. If she can fix and cement those two jumps, she'll be back in the mix next year, and ought to be able to build nicely going forward. It also gives her another year to get used to the new body, which has changed a lot since she was a junior.

I'd be really surprised if she doesn't get two GPs given that her results from last year are still on the ISU books.

pinky166
01-31-2011, 05:45 PM
I'd be really surprised if she doesn't get two GPs given that her results from last year are still on the ISU books.

She didn't do well last year though. She was a disaster at SC, meh at TEB, and though she got a decent amount of points for winning bronze at 4CC, her score there wasn't great. I think she gets 1 GP event but not 2.

Polymer Bob
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
I can't quote all the GP rules chapter and verse, but I wouldn't give up on 2 assignments just yet.

barbk
01-31-2011, 06:41 PM
So if the USFSA does what some of the other feds have done -- not assign a skater to the home country GP, leaving it as a TBA, then Caroline can get at least 1 GP through the normal route, and if she shows well during the summer (or in an early Senior B), give her the Skate America TBA spot. Or give it to someone else who shows better.

query5
01-31-2011, 07:38 PM
do her poor placing at worlds, and placement at nationals.
i don't think caroline would qualify for gp events.
she didn't get standing in this years gp and her ranking will drop.
only the 24 in scores get usually 2.
world junior medalist usually gets two.
and the rest gets usually 1.
i am not sure how far she will fall in world rankings but they usually only go top 75 in scores. i am not sure she qualifies in that this year.
they go by gp events and her scores were low.

Frau Muller
01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Two G-P assignments for the 12th-place finisher at the previous Nationals? I highly doubt it. Joelle Forte, Melissa Bulanhagui and others who finished higher and skated clean LPs, with brio, deserve it much more than Caroline Zhang, IMO.

oleada
01-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Forte has no SB and no ranking. She will not get any GP slots unless it is a host spot.
Bulanghagui has no SB and is ranked #87, far below Zhang. She, too, is extremely unlikely to get a GP unless it is a host spot.

Nationals does not come into play as to how skaters are chosen in the GP (unless hosts spots, or if a federation does not submit a name). Caroline has the 46th ranked SB score and is ranked 20th, so she is far more likely to get a GP spot (though I do agree it's more likely to be 1 than 2)

Polymer Bob
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Two G-P assignments for the 12th-place finisher at the previous Nationals? I highly doubt it. Joelle Forte, Melissa Bulanhagui and others who finished higher and skated clean LPs, with brio, deserve it much more than Caroline Zhang, IMO.

That may be, but the ISU doesn't care who placed where at U.S. Nationals. They only care about international competitions. Caroline's Grand Prix scores, though not great, were at least respectable. And she will still get some mileage out of last year's 4CC bronze.

Sylvia
02-01-2011, 07:05 PM
In a nutshell, based on my observations of Caroline's skating at Nationals, she practiced better than she competed.

krenseby
02-01-2011, 10:16 PM
In a nutshell, based on my observations of Caroline's skating at Nationals, she practiced better than she competed.

What do you mean by that exactly? Did she complete her jumps better in the practice sessions or something else perhaps?

loulou
02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
We've seen before (read Cohen) that, in the end, there's an extreme flexibility in GP assignments. Going either way, imo.

Zhang's situation is peculiar: yes, she's doing poorly; but she's been loved for a while.

I think it'll depend on how she will be doing next sumer.

--

On a different note:

I personally think skaters are too busy, to detriment of their perfomances.
Ironically, some of them seem to need to constantly compete to keep putting their best efforts into training.

A far away goal might not be stimulating enough. We'll see.

Jammers
02-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Zhang is done from what i've seen. Even when she lands her jumps she's so painfully slow she almost makes Flatt look fast. It's time to invest in the future and give more deserving skaters GP events then skaters like Zhang and Gilles who just keep sliding down the rankings.