PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Nobuo Sato about Mao and Kozuka after Japanese Nationals 2010

Pages : [1] 2 3

galaxy
01-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I just found this interview on GS forum and thought it very interesting. I post it here in case you haven't read it yet.

http://kuuchuu-sampo.blogspot.com/2010/12/japanese-nationals-2010-interview-with.html

let`s talk
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks! Interesting how her coach thought that her 3A in SP was originally a "bad tactic."

paskatefan
01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the link! :encore:

MikiAndoFan#1
01-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks for sharing! :) Very interesting interview!

loulou
01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks a lot for the link.

A. If she skates with power, she'll generate more speed. And that will affect many things that are essential to jumps. And so, if we approach this with courage, how far can we go? I think it will take one year, two years. In the end, we can only take things one step at a time. But I still want to try.

It must be nice to have a wise old person next to you that's got enough energy and confidence to start a journey with you.
I hope Asada can see a happy ending.

Extranjera
01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Mao's programs at nats surprised him? Surely no more than me :D I was almost sure she would skate better programs than at NHK, but her FS at nats was... :respec:

Interesting how her coach thought that her 3A in SP was originally a "bad tactic."

I don't understand him. This rule (possibility od doing 3A instead of 2A in SP ) gives her an opportunity to gain huge lead over other skaters, so why does he think it's a bad tactic? I know it's risky, but Mao usually doesn't have problems with landing, only with underrotation. One year ago doing 3A instead of 2A in SP wouldn't have been viable for her (well.. it wasn't evn possible), but now we have different rules and even UR 3A is better than 2A.

Kelvster
01-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Lol at the remark that Kozuka is "a little scatterbrained"

miki88
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't understand him. This rule (possibility od doing 3A instead of 2A in SP ) gives her an opportunity to gain huge lead over other skaters, so why does he think it's a bad tactic? I know it's risky, but Mao usually doesn't have problems with landing, only with underrotation. One year ago doing 3A instead of 2A in SP wouldn't have been viable for her (well.. it wasn't evn possible), but now we have different rules and even UR 3A is better than 2A.

It's always a big risk regardless. Sato is very old school, so he can be more conservative in his tactics.

TAHbKA
01-04-2011, 02:38 PM

Think her TEB performances in the last 2 years more or less answer that question.....

Wiery
01-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Thank you very much for the link!

Extranjera
01-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Think her TEB performances in the last 2 years more or less answer that question.....

Not exactly. When she's out of shape (like at TEB in the last 2 years) she makes mistakes in many elements, not only in 3A (and not only in jumps). For example her FS from TEB 2009 had clean 3A-2t and 3A< with two-foot landing, but the most serious mistake was completely unexpected fall after 2A (!) ;)

On the other hand when she was in her top shape (She gained shape before nationals) all her 3A were clean or UR.

And doing 3A-2T in SP was much riskier than doing solo 3A.

kwanfan1818
01-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Thank you, galaxy!

:respec: to Mr. Sato. I <3 him.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 02:14 AM
:respec: to Mr. Sato. I <3 him.

Word. He seems to thoughtful and humble and kind.

If I was a skater, I'd love to have him as a coach. :)

dinakt
01-05-2011, 03:43 AM
What a wonderful interview, thank you so much for posting.
There are coach/ students relationships which feel so right- ( and of course I realize it's different from the inside and could change at any moment). But Sato/ Kozuka/ Asada and Y.Sato/ Dunjean/Abbott/Czisny partnerships seem to have such wisdom and quality about them. I have great respect for the Sato family, and for Mao for being such a very strong person.

WayCon
01-05-2011, 05:52 AM
I suspect that when coach Sato said that the 3A was a bad tactic for Mao, he was alluding to the emotional strain it put on her. She has always had more problems with her SP, and the 3A is a lot of additional pressure to face day after day as she practices, after she goes to bed at night, as she enters the ice to compete.

In a similar vein, I've seen Miki Ando crank out quad after quad in practice, but she doesn't try them in competition. Morozov is not pushing her to do them.

Sato knows, and Morozov is learning, that there is such a thing as "too much." Too much grinds the skater down, until there is nothing left for the competition.