PDA

View Full Version : US Nationals TV Schedule

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

RD
01-26-2011, 12:32 AM
Strange...I was wondering why some of the skaters were promoting the HECK out of the icenetwork coverage on Twitter, almost as if they were paid to do so...anyway, looks like that's the only way to get live coverage of anything other than the top 6 freeskates in each discipline.

Not that it mattered that much to me personally since I don't get the channel anyway.

shsocu
01-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Here is a link to watch the NBC coverage live from the East Coast
http://www.tvpc.com/Channel.php?ChannelID=2185

Skate Talker
01-26-2011, 02:41 AM
That one even works for me here in central Canada. Too bad it isn't universal sports because I already get NBC from my cable provider, both eastern and western time zones, both SD and HD.

neptune
01-26-2011, 03:59 AM
We've got nice links posted here for all the coverage, but does anyone know of a link for the entries (Senior)? I can't find one anywhere.

stjeaskategym
01-26-2011, 08:02 AM
My guess is that it's NBC's decision not to broadcast the SPs on Universal Sports. It's very expensive to broadcast all of the live coverage like they did last year. We get full coverage for Skate America because NBC has to produce the world feed, so it's not that expensive for them to show the coverage on Universal Sports. NBC will tape the SPs from the top 5-6 men and ladies, but it's too expensive to do any more than that.

:( I think Universal Sports televised every single Ladies and Mens short program last season. They only showed a couple Pairs and maybe some Original Dances, but it was better than nothing. The year before, there were hours and hours of SP coverage televised on Universal Sports as well. Some of it was tape delayed by a few hours and commentary free... I remember loving how much coverage there was.

I wonder what has changed this year?

Frau Muller
01-26-2011, 11:23 AM
:( I think Universal Sports televised every single Ladies and Mens short program last season. ....I wonder what has changed this year?

Every Sr Lady SP was shown and many men (not all).

What changed:

(a) NBC/Universal was just bought-out by Comcast (read that = Profit$ Uber Alles)

(b) This is not an Olympic season

(c) No big-name skater -- like Cohen last year -- is competing.

There's still a small chance that live SPs coverage on UnivSports will be announced. It doesn't begin 'til tomorrow (Srs-level SPs) and there are nice big "TBD" gaps in my on-screen Comcast guide for the exact times tomorrow when SPs are happening in Greensboro. Since hubby and I will be in Greensboro for the sr events, a neighbor-friend will be on the look-out for us, ready to record if the schedule changes. I still have a small hunch that something will pop-up for tomorrow/Friday senior events....but not as much hope as I had before the big Comcast buy-out announcement last week.

Cyn
01-26-2011, 11:38 AM
:( I think Universal Sports televised every single Ladies and Mens short program last season. They only showed a couple Pairs and maybe some Original Dances, but it was better than nothing. The year before, there were hours and hours of SP coverage televised on Universal Sports as well. Some of it was tape delayed by a few hours and commentary free... I remember loving how much coverage there was.

I wonder what has changed this year?

Last year, US broadcast the final two groups in the OD live.

What's changed, in addition to the Comcast buyout, is the deal between USFS and IceNetwork. Giving sole airing rights to IN via pay-per-view (at 30 bucks a pop :mad: ) drives business to their site, which in turn drives $$$ to USFS.

John 3 17
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Last year, US broadcast the final two groups in the OD live.

What's changed, in addition to the Comcast buyout, is the deal between USFS and IceNetwork. Giving sole airing rights to IN via pay-per-view (at 30 bucks a pop :mad: ) drives business to their site, which in turn drives $$$ to USFS.

Or in my case, just drives me AWAY. Between this and the ridiculous, ludicrous jacket display all season in the k&c, I'm beginning to really dislike USFS...

-Bridget :(

RD
01-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Maybe IN was operating at a loss, and they figured having exclusive rights to US Nats is one way to turn things around...?

gkelly
01-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Giving sole airing rights to IN via pay-per-view (at 30 bucks a pop :mad: ) drives business to their site, which in turn drives $$$ to USFS.

It's not 30 bucks a pop (competition) -- it's 30 bucks for the whole year.

Now, if you're only interested in one competition a year, it's not a very good deal.

But if you want to see regionals and sectionals and the various internationals that they cover as well as Nationals, then it is a good deal.

Assuming you can actually watch the coverage whenever you want. It was great for me last year.

This year they're using a faster transmission rate and my home DSL can't handle it, so I really only get value for the $30 when I watch from my office computer. If that will still be the same case next year, then I won't renew.

John 3 17
01-26-2011, 11:08 PM
I'd understand giving exclusive rights to IN for the LIVE broadcast, but I really wish/hope that UniSports could have gotten/get tape delay a few hours later.

-Bridget

AJ Skatefan
01-27-2011, 04:32 AM
It's not 30 bucks a pop (competition) -- it's 30 bucks for the whole year.

Now, if you're only interested in one competition a year, it's not a very good deal.

But if you want to see regionals and sectionals and the various internationals that they cover as well as Nationals, then it is a good deal.

Assuming you can actually watch the coverage whenever you want. It was great for me last year.

This year they're using a faster transmission rate and my home DSL can't handle it, so I really only get value for the $30 when I watch from my office computer. If that will still be the same case next year, then I won't renew.

Icenetwork has been a great deal IMO. 30 dollars for a ton of skating is a bargain.

triple_toe
01-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Does Icenetwork work for Canadian viewers? I know in years past coverage of Nationals wasn't geo-blocked, but I would like to find out before I shell out $30.

FigureSpins
01-27-2011, 06:02 AM
I didn't renew IN this year, either. IN increased the annual subscription rate and Customer Service said they wouldn't offer a discount, yet they just knocked $10 off the rate.

Last year, I had a lot of trouble with my account being blacked out incorrectly.
With the USFSA raising the costs of coaching (CER), I decided that IN had to be crossed out in my budget.

It was nice to watch Universal Sports' live coverage of all the skaters last year, including the warmups.

care bear
01-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Does Icenetwork work for Canadian viewers? I know in years past coverage of Nationals wasn't geo-blocked, but I would like to find out before I shell out $30.
I was watching it on Icenetwork in Germany yesterday.:)