PDA

View Full Version : Armin Mahbanoozadeh proves hes latest U.S. sensation

Pages : [1] 2 3

azskatefan
01-03-2011, 05:17 PM
From Brandon Penny, Figure Skaters Online
Armin Mahbanoozadeh proves he’s latest U.S. sensation
http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2011/01/03/mahbanoozadeh-proves-hes-latest-u-s-sensation/

Sylvia
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Medaling in Greensboro will be tough for Mahbanoozadeh, since he is one of four American men who medaled on the Grand Prix circuit this season.
Well, there are 4 medals at US Nationals... :)

I was thinking that the opening 3T in his FS would evolve into a 4T attempt by Nationals and it looks like that will happen! :cool:

olympic
01-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Well, there are 4 medals at US Nationals... :)

I was thinking that the opening 3T in his FS would evolve into a 4T attempt by Nationals and it looks like that will happen! :cool:

Oooh. I really hope so. I'd like to see more attempts at Quads by US Men.

But, isn't he barely getting the 3x? Granted, he's gained some consistency on it but the Quad might be a bridge too far....

peibeck
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
:rollin: Lurves me some Armin. Would love to see him land the quad toe.

But, isn't he barely getting the 3x? Granted, he's gained some consistency on it but the Quad might be a bridge too far....

I think there are several skaters who are more consistent on the toe jumps (even a quad) than the 3A: Stephane Lambiel, Ryan Bradley, and Jeremy Abbott among them.

I am just wondering if Armin will continue skating after next year. I believe he's planning on attending university full time beginning next fall. (MIT?)

ioana
01-03-2011, 08:46 PM

Tell that to Lambiel :P. Some skaters never get as comfortable with a forward axel take-off as they do with regular jumps. One of the skaters at my rink still struggles with a 2 axel, but one she started landing 3 salchows, they've been easy and consistent. It's not just about the extra 1/2 revolution...sometimes how comfortable you are with the take off can make all the difference in the world. And Armin seems to like toe jumps.

Nomad
01-03-2011, 08:49 PM
...I believe he's planning on attending university full time beginning next fall. (MIT?)

I believe he was accepted by Dartmouth.

pinky166
01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Tell that to Lambiel :P. Some skaters never get as comfortable with a forward axel take-off as they do with regular jumps. One of the skaters at my rink still struggles with a 2 axel, but one she started landing 3 salchows, they've been easy and consistent. It's not just about the extra 1/2 revolution...sometimes how comfortable you are with the take off can make all the difference in the world. And Armin seems to like toe jumps.

Well I mean look at Team Orser, Rippon can do a 3lz with both arms over his head but struggles with the 3a and Gao can reel off 3f-3t like it's easy but has yucky technique on the 2a.

olympic
01-03-2011, 10:25 PM
:rollin: Lurves me some Armin. Would love to see him land the quad toe.

I think there are several skaters who are more consistent on the toe jumps (even a quad) than the 3A: Stephane Lambiel, Ryan Bradley, and Jeremy Abbott among them.

I am just wondering if Armin will continue skating after next year. I believe he's planning on attending university full time beginning next fall. (MIT?)

Wasn't it Curran Oi who went to MIT?

pinky166
01-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Wasn't it Curran Oi who went to MIT?

Yup. Armin is going to Dartmouth, or has been accepted there and deferred admission. I don't know if he's planning on starting next season.

Sylvia
01-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Armin was accepted into Dartmouth 2 years ago and so I believe he would have to reapply if he still wants to go there.

Curran Oi competed at the Collegiate Championships representing MIT this summer and finished 2nd to Grant Hochstein.

ETA: Armin M. and Ashley Wagner are two of the Skating Club of Wilmington (Delaware) skaters performing in their club's Nationals Send-Off Show this Saturday (Jan. 8) -- see this thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76761

Civic
01-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Armin was accepted into Dartmouth 2 years ago and so I believe he would have to reapply if he still wants to go there....
Dartmouth isn't cheap. Tuition, room and board there were well over $50,000 a year the last time I checked.

paskatefan
01-04-2011, 11:34 AM
:rollin: Lurves me some Armin.
)

Hope he does really well at Nationals! We've enjoyed watching him skate since we first saw him at Mike Weiss' foundation show in 2005 (he had braces on his teeth back then). :D;)

olympic
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
ETA: Armin M. and Ashley Wagner are two of the Skating Club of Wilmington (Delaware) skaters performing in their club's Nationals Send-Off Show this Saturday (Jan. 8) -- see this thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76761

I think Ashley performed one of her programs at a send-off last year, correct? It will be interesting to see if they perform and if so, perhaps we will see a youtube video or something....

Back to Armin - he may defer for a while. He is really 'gelling' as a skater and shows quite a bit of promise, so he may want to go all the way to Sochi. His score at SA was nearly 212 pts.

Ziggy
01-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Re: title of the article

One very strong competition doesn't prove that yet. :P

AliasJohnDoe
01-05-2011, 03:27 AM
I want Armin, Jeremy and Adam on the Nats podium in any order. :swoon:

With Dornbush taking the pewter. :cheer: