I want Armin, Jeremy and Adam on the Nats podium in any order. :swoon:

With Dornbush taking the pewter. :cheer:

1. Cassar
2. Dornbush
3. Abbott

;)

dinakt
01-05-2011, 05:40 AM
I was also wondering about Armin's studies, because I remember he was on the fence last year re: full- time studying vs. skating. Selfishly, I'd love to see him skate competitively much longer. Does anybody know- is he taking it year by year, have any looming deadlines, or decided to pursue skating and then reapply?

paskatefan
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
I want Armin, Jeremy and Adam on the Nats podium in any order. :swoon:

With Dornbush taking the pewter. :cheer:

I like this podium in any order. I'm also hoping for Ryan Bradley, Jonathan Cassar, Ross Miner, Keegan Messing, Stephen Carriere, & Sean Rabbitt to do well. There are so many US men that I enjoy (I could go on & on, but I'll stop here)!

flyingsit
01-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Carriere isn't going to be at nationals.

Sylvia
01-13-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm cross-posting this Viriginia article link (http://www.fcnp.com/sports/8252-us-figure-skating-championships-head-south/#
) in the Skater Articles thread in the US Nationals forum in Kiss and Cry since it's a general preview article, but here's a relevant excerpt about Mahbanoozadeh:

"I was thrilled to medal at Skate America," said Mahbanoozadeh, who changed coaches a little over a year ago and now trains with Priscilla Hill in Delaware. "I've been working hard and I've stayed healthy, which is very important. I think I'm improving both technically and artistically. I'm looking forward to Nationals. I would love to be on the podium."

When Mahbanoozadeh graduated from high school in 2009, he intended to combine skating with attending Dartmouth, a prestigious Ivy League institution. He deferred his admission a year and then gave up his spot after deciding it would be impossible to sustain an elite competitive level while going to such a demanding university. Instead, he's been studying on his own as well as keeping up his piano skills.

"For my birthday in August, I got an electric piano that I brought to Delaware that I practice on almost every day," he said. "I posted some videos on YouTube of me playing the piano that have been surprisingly popular."

UMBS Go Blue
01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
When Mahbanoozadeh graduated from high school in 2009, he intended to combine skating with attending Dartmouth, a prestigious Ivy League institution. He deferred his admission a year and then gave up his spot after deciding it would be impossible to sustain an elite competitive level while going to such a demanding university.:wuzrobbed :fragile:

He does have good taste though. :cheer2: :encore:

BittyBug
01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I am 100% in favor of skaters pursuing an education and having interests outside of the sport, but I'm glad to learn that Mahbanoozadeh is putting school on hold to focus on skating for the moment. He should have no problem obtaining admission to any number of choice universities a few years from now, but his opportunity to try to fully realize his substantial skating talent is really now or never.

ninadel
01-13-2011, 08:30 PM
I am 100% in favor of skaters pursuing an education and having interests outside of the sport, but I'm glad to learn that Mahbanoozadeh is putting school on hold to focus on skating for the moment. He should have no problem obtaining admission to any number of choice universities a few years from now, but his opportunity to try to fully realize his substantial skating talent is really now or never.

I get the impression that Armin is exceptionally smart, and perhaps for someone like him self-study will be enough for now. Being an elite athlete is an education in itself, and it would be a shame for him to not reach his potential as a skater. If he were a mediocre skater for his age I'd say go to school now... but he's not, so yay!

And yeah, when he does decide to go to uni he shouldn't have application/admission issues.

BittyBug
01-13-2011, 09:31 PM
If he were a mediocre skater for his age I'd say go to school now... but he's not, so yay!That's really it. He has the potential to be brilliant, so why not give it a shot.

smarts1
01-13-2011, 09:57 PM
:( Too bad he's heading off to college next year. I'm not sure he'll continue skating after this season, which is sad cuz he has so much talent.

smarts1
01-13-2011, 09:58 PM
I get the impression that Armin is exceptionally smart, and perhaps for someone like him self-study will be enough for now. Being an elite athlete is an education in itself, and it would be a shame for him to not reach his potential as a skater. If he were a mediocre skater for his age I'd say go to school now... but he's not, so yay!

And yeah, when he does decide to go to uni he shouldn't have application/admission issues.

He's taking a gap year this year and has deferred a year from Dartmouth College. So next year he'll be off to Dartmouth.

Sylvia
01-13-2011, 10:07 PM
No, last year (2009-10 season) was Armin's gap year -- the article says that he gave up his spot at Dartmouth in 2010. My impression is that he's taking his skating year by year and will decide about next season after this season is over.

zilam98
01-14-2011, 12:34 AM
well, hasnt the axel always been considered the most difficult jump? then why the discussion on this jump vs the backward takeoff jumps?

smarts1
01-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Oh whoops, I didn't see the article you posted, Sylvia.

ros01
01-14-2011, 01:29 AM
The axel has generally been considered the most difficult jump because of the extra half revolution, but really, comfort and difficulty vary a lot by the takeoff. It's not just forward vs. backward takeoff, but also edge vs. toe, etc. So Lambiel, who is a good example, could never nail down the 3x but was more reliable on the 4t, and yet said once that the 3s was not his best jump, either. There's a lot of idiosyncrasy.