PDA

View Full Version : Nationals Send-Off Shows in Wilmington (1/8) & Newark (1/15), Delaware

Pages : 1 [2]

paskatefan
01-16-2011, 12:37 PM
OK, we attended the UDEL show last night, and it was very entertaining. I won't be able to comment on the technical elements, so if anyone else who was there can help me out, I would appreciate that.

Prior to the show and during the intermission, the Olympic coaches signed photo autographs that were given out with the programs (all on photo quality paper). I got to meet/talk to Ron Ludington, Barbara Roles-Williams, Scott Gregory, Tiffany Scott, and Philip Duhlebohn. Suzy Semanick Schurman was not there because she was coaching a competitor in Norway. Scott Gregory had written a book which was available for sale (and there were plastic wristbands promoting his book The Champion Mindset. All of the Olympic coaches were honored in a ceremony during the first half of the show, just before the intermission.

Junior national Team Members were introduced: Kirsten Vetland & Nathan Cooper - juvenile pairs, Sarah Wisniewski - juvenile girls, Chloe & Alex Petraske - juvenile pairs. Alexandra hayden & Ron Zilberberg - juvenile dance Those who were able to be there came onto the ice.

Rebecca Lustig & Brendan Newberry - 2011 Junior National Team Members - Juvenile Dance - Stray Cats Strut/Hey, Pachuco

Eric Sjoberg - 2011 Junior National Team member Stray Cat Strut (instrumental) :lol:

Caitlin Belt & Michael Johnson - 2011 Junior National Intermediate Pairs Silver Medalists - World of Imagination (Willie Wonka)/Somewhere Out There (from "American Tail")

McKayla O'Connell - 2011 Junior National Team member - Intermediate Ladies - Ms. Baltimore Crabs (from "Hairspray")

Whitney Miller & Grant Lorello - 2011 Junior National Intermediate Dance Silver Medalists - music? - the Lorello (& Cannscio) families are well represented at UDEL, as you'll see

Meara Lorello & William Dean - 2011 Junior National Intermediate Dance champions - music sounded like something from a James Bond soundtrack sung by Harry Connick Jr. (?)

Cassandra Jeandell & Damian Dodge - 2011 Eastern Sectional Novice Dance Pewter medalists - You Raise Me Up (sung in Italian - Il Divo?) impressive lifts!

Andrew Nagode - - 2011 Eastern Sectional Novice Men Silver medalist was listed in the program, but is currently injured and was unable to skate. :(

Danielle & Alexander Gamelin - 2011 Eastern Sectional Junior Dance Bronze Medalists - Carlos Santana's "Smooth" & a song with the lyrics, "Vengo, Vengo, Vengo..."

Viviana Mathis - 2011 Eastern Sectional Novice Ladies Pewter Medalist - Totentanz

UDEL Collegiate Synchronized Skating Team - 2010 US National Synchronized Skating Championships Bronze Medalists - a medley of songs from "Jersey Boys"

HPFSC (High Performance Figure Skating Center) Olympic Presentations for the Olympic Coaches - for the coaches I mentioned at the beginning. Their competitive accomplishments were acknowledged. Ron Ludington was the last to be announced and he is the director of UDEL's Ice Skating Science Development Center.

Intermission - Zamboni break, and warm-up time for the skaters in the second half of the show

UDEL Collegiate Figure Skating Team - 2010 Intercollegiate National Bronze Medalists - the "Glee" version of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing"

Felicia Zhang - 2010/2011 International Team Member - something from "Swan Lake"

Katherine Pilgrim & Alex Lorello - 2011 Eastern Sectional Championship Dance Pewter Medalists - a song with the lyrics "Sweet Emotion,"/Come Together (the Beatles' song, but not sung by the Beatles/Walk This Way (Aerosmith)

Haley Dunne - 2011 Eastern Sectional Junior Ladies Silver Medalist - Mask of Zorro

Meredith Zuber & Kyle Herring - 2011 Easterm Sectional Championship Dance Silver Medalists - Tango de Roxanne (from "Moulin Rouge")

Emanuel Savary - 2011 Eastern Sectional Junior Men's Bronze Medalist - Jackson Five/Michael Jackson Medley - he did have one fall, but skated pretty well, overall. I think he did a headless spin. I love his enthusiasm and smile. Very well received by the audience. The first time we saw him was back in 2005/2006 when he was about 6 years old. He opened the show back then. It's great to see him develop through the years, and he's always been such a charmer!

Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus - 2-11 Eastern Sectional Junior Dance Silver medalists - 2010 Jr. Grand prix team members - Habanera from "Carmen" (& a part of the "Carmen Suite?").

Clara Peters - 2011 International Team member - Ireland - I recognized the music - something classical, but can't place it right now. It sounded like something from Debussy (?)

Erika Smith & Nate Bartholomay - 2011 Eastern Sectional Championship Pairs Champions - "Welcome to Burlesque" (from the brand new movie "Burlesque"), sung by Cher

Melissa Bulanhagui - 2011 Eastern Sectional Championship Ladies Silver Medalist - some kind of tango music - great, fast spin at the end

Isabella Cannuscio & Ian Lorello - 2010 Sr. Grand Prix Team Members, 2010 US National Junior Dance Pewter Medalists - West Side Story medley

Felcia Zhang & Taylor Toth - 2010 US National Champions Junior Pairs, 2010 Sr. Grand Prix Team members - Debussy's "Clair de Lune"

In the finale, all the skaters were reintroduced, and after taking their bows, skated around the ice. I went down to the boards and touched their hands, complimenting them on their performances and wishing them well for US Nationals.

After the show, I got to speak to some of the skaters. Felicia Zhang and her mom were very gracious, and thanked us for coming, etc. Melissa's parents recognized me from Eastern Sectionals and the Liberty Summer Competition, so we had a pleasant chat. I told them we were so excited about going to Nationals, and we wished each other safe travels. Before we left, I got to talk to Emanuel Savary, take his picture and wish him all the best. All in all, a delightful evening!

Sylvia
01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks so much for sharing, paskatefan! :)

Local article about the atmosphere during the UDel send-off show yesterday: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20110116/LIFE/101160370
Skater trivia:

Also in line was Lynn Lorello, the mom of four top-level skaters -- 14-year-old twins Meara and Grant, Alexander, 23, and Ian, 20. All compete in ice dance. Meara won the national intermediate dance championship with partner William Dean.
(The article didn't mention that Grant finished 2nd with his partner, Whitney Miller, to his twin sister in Intermediate dance.)

24 photos from the show (missing some of the Senior/Junior competitors): http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BL&Dato=20110115&Kategori=PHOTOS01&Lopenr=101150804&Ref=PH

Video narrated by Ron Ludington (includes some practice clips): Ice skaters tune up before heading to Nationals (http://www.delawareonline.com/video#/News/Ice%20skaters%20tune%20up%20before%20heading%20to% 20Nationals/43042526001/42498973001/752032538001)

judiz
01-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Does anyone know why Stephen Carrierre is not competing this year at Nats?

paskatefan
01-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Sylvia, thanks for all those great links (the article, the pictures and the video)!

Judiz, I read somewhere that Stepehen Carriere got injured. :(

pinky166
01-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know why Stephen Carrierre is not competing this year at Nats?

I feel like he's taking the Kimmie Meissner/Emily Hughes path to retirement i.e injuries, college, and recent poor results, still talks about a comeback but we all know its never going to happen, at least not convincingly.

Sylvia
01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
I had posted before Christmas (unofficial hearsay) that Carriere's withdrawal from Nationals may have been injury-related: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2996375&postcount=199
However, AFAIK, there hasn't been an official, public statement by Carriere himself, and so any speculation on this topic is just that.

Sylvia, thanks for all those great links (the article, the pictures and the video)!
You're welcome. It's very :cool: to be able to interact with skaters who are excited to be going to Nationals, along with their parents, and I'm glad you got the chance to do so yesterday at UDel! :)

another sk8rmom
01-17-2011, 01:43 AM
The latest issue of Skating Magazine arrived yesterday and I noticed that there is an article about Stephen's injury problems this past fall. It states that continuing issues with the injury caused his withdwawal from Nationals. The article is on page 24.