PDA

View Full Version : Ladies of the late 60s / early 70s

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

gkelly
01-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Heh, Seyfert's dress was very sparkly for that era. Did she start a trend?

bardtoob
01-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Here it is:

Die Eismutter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4g49oNlLqw)

It starts off with an interview with Trixie and her Mother followed by the figures of Trixie and Gaby among other competitors. Then it shows highlights of the free skating of Maskova - who needs some medical assistance after she skates - followed by Seyfert but there's more of Jutta Muller's reactions than Seyferts actual skating. Interesting to see the snippet of Sally Stapleford signing autographs. I thought this would be an interesting addition to some of the points being discussed here. :)

Apologies for the low sound.

The thing that shocked me was how fast Trixie was performing her figures in comparison to the other skaters, and, of course, even with only upper body shots, you can tell how rock solid her posture was over her blades. Gaby was more what I would have expected, very good, but the difference is impossible to ignore.

You'd guess that video is about Jutter Muller if you watched with the sound off. She made me stressed out just watching her. Based on the height, I would guess the jump at 7:57-7:58 is the 3Lp.

---------------

The public rink footage at the end is also cool, especially the old couple gently dancing.

I personally like the cut to Robin Cousins ;) . . . hehe

olympic
01-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Mafke, Floskate, Thanks.

Yeesh. Jutta Mueller was an intense woman. I think it took a special brand of skater to flourish under her tutelage. No wonder Kat was such a rock!

I think these ladies of the 60s deserve major :respec: for being able to jump with that big hair:eek: It puts Jill Trenary to shame :lol:

manleywoman
01-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I wish Fassi hadn't died. I understand he was working on sn autobiography. I would love to know how he did his politiking and why he was so much better at it than any other coach.

Also, what happened to Mueller after Kat Witt?

olympic
01-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I wish Fassi hadn't died. I understand he was working on sn autobiography. I would love to know how he did his politiking and why he was so much better at it than any other coach.

Also, what happened to Mueller after Kat Witt?

She was coaching her next protege - Evelin Grossmann, whose highlights were 7th at '89 Worlds, '90 Euro Champ, then 8th at '90 Worlds. Evelin competed at '91 Euros and lost her crown to Surya Bonaly. She did not compete at '91 Worlds for some reason. She did not go to Albertville '92 either. She had the jumps from 3flip [sometimes] on down but was sure to drown in the wake of the technical prowess of Midori, Tonya, Kristi, etc. She pretty much disappeared [I think] after '91 as a major player

Simone Lang was next [I believe she was also a Jutta Mueller Protege] and her career was less and even more short-lived but I recall placing respectably at major intl comps. Germany was undergoing reunification at the time and that undoubtedly interrupted Mueller's reign.

essence_of_soy
01-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I loved how hilariously generic Mueller's pupils were. For example, in 1989 Lang and Grossmann skated to the same cut of music Poetszch used back in the late 1970s. Even the choreography was similar.

Off all Frau Mueller's students, Sonya Morgenstern was my favourite. Her free skate at the 1972 European Championships is one I can watch over and over.

Mafke
01-01-2011, 07:09 PM
I loved how hilariously generic Mueller's pupils were.

IIRC Toller Cranston once said they she seemed to train the same female skater over and over again. Witt was the only one really able to project her own personality.

floskate
01-01-2011, 07:24 PM
IIRC Toller Cranston once said they she seemed to train the same female skater over and over again. Witt was the only one really able to project her own personality.

I agree with essence_of_soy that Morgenstern was pretty fabulous but she also was the first of those clones that Frau Muller created. Morgenstern morphed into Marion Weber who turned into Poetszch etc. Then came Genzel, Witt, Grossmann & Lang. Imagine how many more there were who never made it out of GDR Nationals!! :eek: :lol:

The wierdest thing has been that Seyfert never skated anything like any of the girls that came after her IMO.

skatesindreams
01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Very special:

Janet Lynn 1968 Olympics - at the microphone: Eva Pawlik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jukiKL0di58

Janet was 14!

Seerek
01-01-2011, 09:11 PM
I recall that Mueller's students were even known to recycle the same dresses... There is footage of Evelyn Grossmann wearing a long program dress that both Witt and Poetszch wore earlier

matti
01-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Based on the height, I would guess the jump at 7:57-7:58 is the 3Lp.

1968 was the year of her "successful" 3loop attempt, not 1967. The jump at 7.57 is too clean and easy-looking.

floskate
01-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Seyfert did triple loop at both 1968 and '69 Europeans apparently. The 1968 one was on youtube for a while but it seems the user has sadly removed the video. It was very cheated but still exciting to see. :)

judgejudy27
01-03-2011, 03:36 PM
I always thought Seyfert looked similar to Witt in a way. She looks like she had similar charisma, attack, and confidence on the ice, without neccessarily being the pretty ballerina with beautiful extensions and toepoint like Janet Lynn or Caryn Kadavy, and she seemed like an athletic leader for her time too.

Frau Muller
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Jutta Muller retired after Evelyn Grossman dropped out, which was just a year or two after the reunification of the two Germanys. I read somewhere that she had problems with her eyes, having had several eye operations. Witt helped her financially and may still do so.

olympic
01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Gaby Seyfert looked quite muscular, like a 60s prototype of Joannie Rochette with big jumps! Peggy was more slim and ballerina-like. Hana Maskova looked like she had a naturally amazing talent for jumps, too - big, high, etc.