PDA

View Full Version : Random Wedding Questions: Need a guest perspective (threads merged)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Garden Kitty
12-29-2010, 04:54 PM
1. No programs
2. No menu, but make sure the items are labelled on the table if something isn't obvious
3. How long is the break? If possible it would be nice to at least suggest a place where families with kids could go during thre break, especially for out of town visitors who may not be familiar with the area.
4. Doesn't matter to me. Go with your instinct and I'm sure it will be fine.

Murdoch
12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
See - this is why I come here!!

Ok - no programs - THANK YOU!! I am forwarding this to my FMIL, who thinks it is the best idea ever!

No menu either - it is a Ukrainian buffet - not hard quite honestly. My caterer does the labels up before hand - so I don't even need to worry about that (just found this out today).

Break is 2:00-5:00 - I figure a good time for naps!! LOL! However, on our wedding website, we have a list of things people can do in and around town - so hopefully they will look there? We MIGHT be getting a bounce house for the hall, so if we do, perhaps I will get that set up a little earlier and open the hall for kids around 4 - though there will be a lot of people going in and out (vendor wise) around that time...

I want to try a mock up of our table... because I don't think we need everything the mothers think we do...

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Murdoch
12-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Programs are programs for me - but this one my grandmother is insisting on and my mother is doing... she is making a fan out of the program, so functional and serving a purpose. I just hate the wording! LOL!

Aceon6
12-29-2010, 05:37 PM
1) I was contemplating doing programs for the reception, but I have a lot of faith in our MC, plus there are surprises along the way. Do you like to know how much of the program is left, don't know, don't care? Unless you need to prepare the guests for something (everyone move outside to watch the fireworks or a special guest entertainer who won't appear until 8:30 p.m.) programs are overkill.

2) We are doing a buffet dinner - people say I need menus (I will withhold my response). Do you like to know what your choices are before you get up there (especially since you can then plan the lay of the land on your plate), or you like a surprise or you don't care? Identifying the food may be helpful to those who need to restrict their diets. A description in the buffet line is usually sufficient.

3) There is a break between the church and the reception, which is apparently becoming more and more taboo... but we have planned something in between at the bar we met at - unfortunately kids cannot be involved, though this doesn't effect alot of our guests. FMIL thinks I should plan something for families too (again I will withhold my response). Thoughts? How big is the break? If it's more than 2 hours, you'll need somewhere for the out of towners to go. Remember, many will check out of their hotels in the morning and may not have any options.

4) The decor. How much does the decor of the hall REALLY matter? It looks pretty when you walk in, the tables are colorful, and I didn't do table runners, I used rose petals instead... my mother wants table runners. I think it would be too much color (our colors are lime green and purple - say HELLO to popping color everywhere)... I told her it won't matter. People will remember the band and the food. Thoughts? Personally, I hate runners. Folks always seem to catch their stemware or silverware on them.

BigB08822
12-29-2010, 07:01 PM
I will be honest, I would not be happy at all if I had to do something between the wedding and reception, whether I had kids or not. Is it safe for everyone to go to a bar, where I presume everyone will drink, and then drive to the reception? I know people can be DD but they will not enjoy that at all. At least at the reception there is food, music to dance to, big tables to sit, etc. I can't stand when the wedding parties don't take ANY photos before the wedding which means everyone is waiting at the reception for an hour or so before it can really get started. I know this is your wedding but I would skip the bar trip, maybe incorporate that into a pre wedding party somehow?

genevieve
12-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Looks like you've got all your answers already, but I'll add mine too -

1) No program. The only reason I can see for a program is if there will be a special performance - I am a performer and many of my friends' weddings have included things not usually found in wedding receptions. No one has ever used a program though, so I still wouldn't bother with the expense and the waste of paper.

2) No menus on tables, but agree that it would be good to have a sign somewhere that identifies the food, particularly if you have any guests with dietary restrictions.

3) I was going to say it depends on how long the break is. 3 hours is a long time. I think it depends on how many guests with kids there are and how left out they're going to feel at being the only ones excluded (i.e. how close are you to them?). Also - how long is the reception? Sounds like a very long day, some folks may cut out after the bar.

4) No one will remember runners. Unless they get in the way somehow, and then they'll remember how awful they were. Decorate however you want!

sk8er1964
12-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I agree with the majority on 1, 2, and 4.

On 3, I think it depends on if the families with kids are from out of town or far away. If it were me and I had a small kid I was taking to a wedding (I wouldn't take a small kid to an in-town wedding, but that's a different subject) and I was not near enough to home to take them back for a few hours, then I would appreciate some suggestions for the kids. It looks like you are providing that on your website.

Murdoch
12-29-2010, 07:17 PM
We are doing a good chunk of photos beforehand, but not our full wedding party, full family, or bride/groom pictures. So, as we have it right now, we will depart the church, get family photos done, they go tot he hall, wedding party pictures done, they go to the hall. So, the hall will open earlier than we arrive.

We have hired a bus to take guests from the bar to the reception and the bar is providing appetizers for our guests. I suppose we based our decisions on the majority of the guests we are inviting - many of whom went to an 11am wedding, with a 6pm reception earlier this year - so we figured 3 hours wasn't terrible.

The earliest our band can start is 4:30 and we are only doing the buffet and midnight lunch. We have 225 guests to get seated, with drinks in a little over an hour at the hall - so, we figure that is a pretty lofty goal at this point! Our wedding party is helping to seat everyone, so that should be ok, and we have three bars to start, so that should also take some pressure off.

The bar part is a HUGE part for us because it really is where we met, got to know each other, and really cultivated our relationship (sounds so not good) - but our of 225 guests, there are only nine sets of parents in the whole group... I just wonder how much to stress over making everyone happy...

sk8er1964
12-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Not too much. It's your day. Remember that.

Lanie
12-29-2010, 07:24 PM
For menus, I printed out a lovely one just to put by the start of the buffet table. Our wedding coordinator forgot it. :blah: No one seemed to care though.

We had a break for wedding photos. No one cared. The reception was a good twenty, thirty minutes away, though. No one cared about that either!

Murdoch
12-29-2010, 07:24 PM
We have this on the website...

Place: West Edmonton Mall
Attraction: Indoor skating in July, Galaxyland (rides and games), a full waterpark, mini-golf, Sea Caverns and over 800 stores and services (Feature Stores: Bed, Bath & Beyond, Bath & Body Works, Victoria's Secret and Build-a-Bear). Still the largest mall in North American, this is a playground for anyone!
Admission: Depends on the attraction - see the website for complete information.

Place: Fort Edmonton Park
Attraction: North America’s largest interactive historic park, Fort Edmonton Park is a place where time has stopped and is waiting for you to experience life as it was through four historical periods. Go back in time more than 150 years and walk through the days of the fur trade, and the pioneer years of 1885, 1905 and 1920 – costumed interpreters bring the past to life, answer your questions and invite you to experience the best of the period. Take a ride on a steam train, play pioneer games, bake bread the old-fashioned way, shop ‘til you drop, or hit the midway for rides games and more fun – it’s all right here waiting for you.
Admission: Adult $13.75, Youth/Senior $10.50, Child $7.00, Family $41.50
Website: www.fortedmontonpark.ca/pages/FortEdmonton/default.aspx

Place: Telus World of Science
Attraction: Science centre featuring: Discoveryland, Environment Gallery, Forensics Gallery, Health Gallery, Robotics Lab, Space Gallery, Explorer Gallery, IMAX Theatre, Margaret Zeidler Star Theatre, and an Observatory.
Admission: Adult $13.95, Youth/Senior $11.94, Child (4-12) $9.50, Family $54.95

Place: Valley Zoo
Attraction: From wild exhibits and wilder animals to fun riders and educational programs, there's so much to see and do at the Valley Zoo! For a full visit, plan on spending two to three hours. Of course, mini-visits work too!
Admission: Adults $10.50, Youth/Senior $8.00, Child $5.25, Family $31.50

Place: Royal Alberta Museum
Attraction: Featuring The Natural History Gallery, Wild Alberta, and an Aboriginal gallery, check the website for other feature exhibitions!
Admission: Adults $10, Seniors (65+) $8, Youth (7-17) $5, Children (6 & under) Free, Family (2 adults and children) $28
Note:If you go Sunday between 9 – 11 am, it is half price!

Place: Capital Ex
Attraction: The yearly exhibition looks like it will have dates around our wedding! Rides, mini-donuts, great concerts (often free!), and a family friendly environment!
Admission: Please see website for details

Plus, we were going to add the local pool and outdoor spray parks...

genevieve
12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
It sounds like you've got the bases covered, I'm sure it will all be fine :)

sk8er1964
12-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Murdoch, I think you are good with the kids part. Seriously. I only have one, but I would have been satisfied with that wealth of information.

Murdoch
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Phew! Thanks!

Twilight1
12-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Murdoch- Biggest lesson I learned for my wedding day was that we were never going to please everyone. Nature of the beast I guess.

It is your day do what you want to do and enjoy it!! :D